Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
January 4, 2016
Mrs. Johnston's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @MrsTJohnston
Upcoming Dates to Remeber
Jan 5th- first day back
Jan 15th- 1/2 day of school
Jan 18th- no school
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- No school
- Tuesday- Day 2 PE
- Wednesday- Day 3 Music
- Thursday- Day 4 Art & Library
- Friday- Day 5 PE
What's Happening in Mrs. Johnston's Class
You will not see the regular homework sheet come home this semester. This does not mean that they do not have homework!! We are going to work on writing the homework in our student planners. It is going to take some organization....so if you see that they have not written anything, please still have them do something...read, write, math for 20-30 minutes.
Thank you for your help!!
Social Studies- Economy- Market Day
Market Day was a success!! The students did a wonderful job making a budget and running a business. They were so engaged and learned so much throughout this fun learning experience!
- We will continue our small reading groups. Ask your child what book we are reading in our small group. When our small groups wrap up the students will be reading in partnerships and meeting with me to work on reading skills and discuss their current book selections.
- Students will continue to learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will continue looking at and investigating nonfiction pieces including opinion and persuasive texts.
- We will continue our daily 5 activities where we will read, write, and do word work.
- We will continue learning about time to the half hour, quarter hour, and to the minute.
- We will continue to learn about elapsed time and solve real world problems that involve this skill.
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
- We will continue to solve real world problems using many different strategies that we have learned through exploration and through watching others.
- Students will be working to create their own math games, four blocks, and problems of the day. These will become part of our math workshop as they finish them.
- We will continue to explore nonfiction authors and the reasons for writing a nonfiction book.
- We will continue writing opinion and persuasive pieces.
- We will continue to write about topics of our choice.
NEWS FROM THE THORPE CREEK OFFICE
Humane Society Update from Mrs. Hamilton's Class
Our class just wanted to say thank you to our TCE school families and teachers for all of your help and support for our “passion project” for the Humane Society! We were able to make 16 fleece blankets and will donate a monetary gift of a little over $1,000.00!!!!! My class is so proud and excited to be able to give back in this way!! They learned so much by doing this project!! J
We couldn’t have done it without all of you!!!!