PROJECT 1: CHARACTERISTICS OF LINE - - - USING ONLY STRAIGHT LINES
GOAL: Create a design that develops interest in how the lines are used.
- On one (1) piece of white BRISTOL paper make a 1" border.
If the negative space lacks unity, your design may seem disorganized.
- Make NEGATIVE areas work as hard as POSITIVE ones.
- black, white, silver, gray colored pencil ONLY
- 2H pencil - to get drawing down if necessary
- vine charcoal - DO NOT USE COMPRESSED
PROJECT 2: CHARACTERISTICS OF LINE - - - - TEXTURED DRAWING USING ONLY LINE
- On one (1) 16 x 20 inch piece of white BRISTOL paper draw a 2" border.
- Experiment with varying the width of the black lines to emphasize or play down the white of the paper.
- Both black lines and white spaces can either advance or recede.
- 2H pencil
- Micron pen of varying sizes
- Ruler (if needed)
PROJECT 3: CONTINOUS LINE
GOAL: To create a drawing of an object using a continuous line in which you do not pick up your pencil. The outline of the object is not as important as the "inside" of the object.
Use thick and thin lines to create something that looks realistic.
- 2H pencil to get down initial drawing
- Micron pens of different sizes to finalize drawing
PROJECT 4: EXPRESSIVENESS WITH LINE
- On one (1) piece of small drawing paper, draw a .5" border.
- Choose 2 VERY SIMPLE objects to draw from life. Nothing with a lot of details.
- Sharpen a 2B and a 4B pencil.
- Then, tape the 2B and 4B pencil together to become a single unit.
- Start the drawing with your taped pencils and draw with light and loose marks.
- Start by making marks that are structural and essentially well placed - try and follow the feel and flow of the form.
- Do not draw an outline and fill it in - try to work from inside the form. Concern yourself with the shape of your subject, so that it becomes a bit like a silhouette of fairly dense marks.
- Feel the marks as you make them. They will be awkward, but interesting.
- 1/2 way through the drawing, use 1 pencil at a time to begin to sharpen the image.
- B, HB, 2B, 4B, 6B pencils
- Dark Red pencil (optional)
- Kneaded eraser
- Small drawing paper
- 2 SIMPLE still life objects