Together in Learning and Faith
October 13, 2019
Grade 4 Bibles
A special event occurs in grade 4 as children receive their very own bibles, so they can have God's precious Word at their fingertips. Their bibles will first be blessed by Father Danial or Father Kris. The blessing of the children's bibles and the receiving ceremony will be occurring at the Thanksgiving mass at OLA Catholic School. Everyone is welcome to celebrate with us.
Join us for READ-IN Month!
We continue to celebrate Read-In all month. There is still plenty of time to join us to share a story!
During the Month of October we are inviting you and your loved ones to come in and take a few moments (like 30 minutes) to share your favourite picture book with our students.
We are looking for Moms, Dads, Babas, Guidos, Aunties, Uncles, (you get the point) to share their love of learning and favourite books. We welcome you to join us for READ-IN.
Please contact Mrs. Wagner via email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions and to arrange a time to share your favs with children and help spread a love of reading!
Thank you to our guests who have already signed up to share their love of reading and to Mrs. Dul, Mrs. Turenne, Mme Gravelle and Mrs. Heesing for kicking off Read-In month and sharing their love of reading with OLA children! Looking forward to welcoming more readers!
We have fun at OLA!
Join the fun, and share your love of reading! Please contact our librarian Susan Wagner at email@example.com to reserve a time to read to OLA children!
Faith in Action Assembly
Learning Together . . .
- Attending school regularly builds strong connections and increases engagement which leads to increased learning success.
- Children who attend school regularly are settled in class and are open to learning and growing.
- Children who attend regularly have the opportunity to participate more fully in learning activities which increases the likelihood of successfully completing high school.
- Attendance is compulsory for every children in Alberta between the ages of 6 and 16.
- Missing two days a month or 20 days a year is equivalent to missing a full year by grade 10.
Regular school attendance is critical
for student success. Good attendance is
important for a child’s ability to learn, grow
and develop social skills. Attending school
regularly helps children feel better about
themselves and school.
For more information please click here.
For attendance support, we are here to help!
Please connect with us at 780-998-3716 ext. 1.
We will walk with you every step of the way.
OLA School Council News
Halloween Dance October 25th
OLA School Council's 2nd Annual Halloween Dance will be held on Friday, October 25th from 6:00 - 8:00 pm. Tickets are $15/family or $5/person and can be purchased on our school's Hot Lunch website.
Please come dressed in your costume and be ready to dance the night away. There will be a prize for the most creative costume and snacks, small toys and glow sticks will be available for sale, so please don’t forget a little cash.
We are still looking for volunteers to help decorate the gym at 3:20 pm or to sign up for a half hour spot in the canteen - a big thank-you to all who have offered your help already! You are truly appreciated and without your help this wouldn’t be possible. If you are able to volunteer or have inflatable Halloween décor we could borrow for the dance please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The profits made from this dance will be going towards arts and culture, including paying for bussing to the Alberta Opera performance of Sleeping Beauty at St. John XXIII School on October 16th.
Deadline for tickets is Thursday, October 24th.
OLA SC HALLOWEEN DANCE COMMITTEE
2018 - 2019 Yearbooks
Annual Poinsettia Sale Volunteers Needed
Last year the OLA SC Poinsettia Sale was one of the most profitable fundraisers of the year. Your Fundraising Committee is looking for volunteers to help take orders at OLA Parish on the following dates for about 15 minutes before and after Mass:
- Saturday, November 2nd 5:15 pm Mass
- Sunday, November 3rd 9:00 am Mass & 11:00 am Mass
- Saturday, November 9th 5:15 pm Mass
- Sunday, November 10th 9:00 am Mass & 11:00 am Mass
If you are able to share your time please email the OLA School Council at: email@example.com.
Playground Society News
Playground Society Meeting
Parent's Night Out
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 2nd 6:00 pm gather your friends and come to our Adults Only event to help us get the playgrounds built!!
There will be...
- A DJ who will be taking requests!
- Door Prizes!!
- BIG auction items!!
- Plus you can call The Bears Den to book a table for your group in advance!
Tickets are $20/person and 100% of the proceeds go toward our goal of building the playgrounds for our students!!
To order your tickets you can email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 780-722-4442 or contact us on Facebook. More ordering and payment options may become available soon.
Thank you for spreading the word to your friends, family, coworkers and neighbours!
Looking Ahead . . .
Monday, October 14
- Thanksgiving Day - NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, October 15
- Thanksgiving Mass at 9:00AM and Grade 4 Bible Blessing/Presentation in OLA Gym. All are welcome!
- Circle of Security Parenting Workshop continues at 6:30 pm
Wednesday, October 16
- Alberta Opera Presentation at SJXXIII (buses leave at 9:00am)
- Booster Juice Lunch (for those who pre-ordered)
- OLA Servant Leadership Squad commitment letters due to office (Grade 4 students)
Thursday, October 17
- Smile! Lifetouch Picture Day
- OLA School Council Meeting 7:00pm (Budget planning)
Friday, October 18
- M/W Kinders in class today
- Mme Gravelle reads with 3K and 3/4V
Saturday, October 19
- First Reconciliation Class 10:00 am at OLA Church
Monday, October 21
- OLA is a voting station. Remember to Vote!
- Bus Safety Week
- Mrs. & Mr. Gravelle read to Grade 4s
Tuesday, October 22
- Faith in Action Assembly at 12:30pm: 2019-2020 OLA Servant Leadership Squads announced. Everyone Welcome!
- Mrs. Tania McDonald reads to 1/2KS
and a Little Further Ahead . . .
October 22 First Student Leadership Squad Meetings
October 24 Playground Society Meeting 7:00 pm at St. John Paul II Catholic School
October 25 OLA School Council 2nd Annual Family Halloween Dance!
October 26 First Reconciliation Celebration 10:00 am at OLA Church
November 3 Daylight Savings Time - Fall Back
November 4 - 7 Scholastic Artic Adventure Book Fair
November 5 & 6 Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences
November 9 - 17 Fall Break - No School
To see what is coming even further ahead, please visit our website calendar.
You can check out our M/W Kinder calendar here,
and our Pre-K AM calendar here.