Patrick Marsh Middle School Band
This Week in Band at PMMS (Nov 2-6, 2020)
Lessons This Week
What are students working on?
6th Grade - lesson book and the new band music
7th Grade - lesson book, scales, and solo (if ready)
7th Grade Band Students - Come Get Music This Wednesday!
There are currently several opportunities for raising funds (please click links for details):
Fruit, Cookie Dough Sale (ends Nov 9)
Bucky Book Sale (Books are shipped - all done online!)
Band Swag Sale (ends Nov 22)
**No door to door sales should be done. Orders will be placed online. Contactless pick up of sold items will take place. See links above for all the details.
7th Grade Band Students Create Videos For Overseas Friends
Many thanks to all of the students who took a leadership role in creating these videos. We look forward to getting a response from these overseas schools. Our students are already starting to generate ideas for our next videos. Great job!
Reading Notes In A Galaxy Not So Far Away!
In an effort to help our young musicians to learn how to read musical notation, we purchased a fun game called Staff Wars. This is an essential cognitive process, similar to reading text, that gets better with repetition. So....what better way to practice than with a game! Challenge your child to a match and see who gets the highest score!
- Staff Wars Link: http://www.staffwarslive.com/
7th Grade Jazz -Tuesdays
7th grade jazz band is an additional opportunity for students to explore a different genre of music. This year we will be focusing on learning the 12 bar blues, improvisation, and some standard jazz charts and melodies.
7th Grade Jazz are on Tuesdays from 2:30-3:00 PM. All 7th grade musicians, regardless of instrument, are encouraged to join. 7th grade jazz will meet every Tuesday at that same time.
Join Mrs. Haraldson on Tuesdays to learn about this truly American art form. Here is the link:
DISTANCE LEARNING REMINDERS
- CAMERAS - Please ask your child to turn on their cameras during class (If possible). Certainly, there are reasons to keep it off (WIFI signal strength, etc). However, we rely on seeing your children as much as we do hearing them. As you can imagine, seeing hand placement, embouchures (mouth), posture, instrument angles, etc are all visual cues that assist us. If your child's camera doesn't work on their Chromebook, please have them fill out an Incident IQ Repair Request online to get it fixed.
- FOOD/DRINK - Please remind your kids that eating food and then playing immediately afterward will get food particles into their wind instruments causing damage. Students should take a drink of water after eating and before playing and always avoid eating while playing in general.
- CHAIRS - We have noticed a number of students sitting on couches or recliners during their lesson or band class. Your child will play best using a hard, flat chair like a wooden kitchen chair. Students are encouraged to stand and play (depending on the instrument) as well. However, stay away from beds, couches, and other soft surfaces.
- DOGS/CATS - Nothing wrong with this at all. Love seeing them : ) Even the fish.
Virtual Private Lessons are Here!
Where Can We Find Information About Band This Year?
1. This newsletter will be sent every Sunday afternoon. It will contain the plan for the week, updates on classwork, and special events or opportunities.
2. Our PMMS Band Website will have weekly lesson plans, resources, links, and our weekly lesson schedule. I will also keep links to all of our newsletters on this website if you ever need to look for something shared previously but lost it in your inbox. Consider the website as the "go to" place to find out information this year.