EMERGENCY SCHOOL CLOSING
Tuesday, January 23rd will be a District Wide eLearning Day
Gower West & Gower Middle will be closed today for an eLearning Day
Our mass district-wide phone notification system was activated at 6:00 a.m. this morning and each of our school campuses sent out email notifications to their parents as well. This message simply serves as an additional notification. We want to ensure that our parents receive important school and district emergency communications and use the contact information on file to send phone calls, texts, and emails accordingly. If you did not receive a call (6:00 a.m.) or a follow-up text (6:15 a.m.) this morning, please contact your school office to update your contact information.
Due to the freezing rain overnight and extremely icy conditions this morning, both of our school campuses will be closed and Gower West and Gower Middle School will hold an eLearning Day today, January 23.
Conditions are expected to improve throughout the day, but road crews in the area have not been able to keep up to clear the roads in a number of our neighborhoods and across most of our surrounding area. As of this time, several main roads in our community are unsafe to travel during the morning commute. Given the current forecast, we expect classes to resume on Wednesday and will send further notification if this school closure needs to be extended.
Students are expected to utilize our eLearning Day procedures (see link on our district webpage under the Parent Info tab) to be marked present. Your child's eLearning modules and/or assigned work will be available no later than 8:30 a.m. on our eLearning day. It is important to remember that teachers and certified staff will be off site, but will be available from 8:30 am - 1:30 pm for virtual support.
Student attendance for our eLearning day will be based on their completion of the eLearning modules and/or assigned work. If your child is unable to participate in this eLearning day, for any reason, please contact your school office directly and our staff will work with you to try to accommodate your specific needs.
Gower School District 62 eLearning Daily Schedule
- 8:00 am - 8:30 am - Teacher planning/preparation
- 8:30 am - eLearning modules and/or assigned work posted and period of availability, student engagement, instruction, supervision and support as needed begins
- 8:30 am - 1:30 pm - 5-hour block of student engagement, instruction, supervision, monitoring and support as needed
- 1:30 pm - 2:00 pm - Teacher duty free
- 2:00 pm - 3:20 pm - Verification/assessment of student work/engagement; planning/prep for ongoing eLearning modules
- 3:20 pm - 3:45 pm - Teacher planning/preparation, professional responsibilities
This notification has also been sent through our robo-call system, is posted on our school and district webpages, and is also posted on the Emergency Closing Center website.
- Dr. Simon, Superintendent of Schools