Carver Middle School Newsletter
February 21, 2021
Greetings Carver Cougars!
Hopefully everyone had a safe weekend and it was great to finally see the sun come out today! We have a very big week ahead of us! Our February PTA meeting will be held tomorrow night at 5:45 pm on Zoom, immediately followed by a our Counseling Open House. Please log on to the Google Meet using the code: CMSCounseling at 6:15 for a Q & A scheduling session with our School Counseling team.
Tomorrow will also begin our school wide read of Hidden Figures. Each student has a copy of the text on MackinVia through the dashboard. Please encourage your students to access the text as soon as possible.
As a remainder, our School picture day is scheduled for Wednesday, 2/24/2021. We still have 30 slots remining if you want your child to have his/her picture taken. Please see the link below to register your child to take a yearbook picture. Please remember that the school fundraiser is still ongoing. Please see the flyer below to support the fundraiser.
Thank you very much and please see the updates below.
Have a great week.
Anthony J. McLaurin, Ed.D.
G.W. Carver MS
Zoom PTA Meeting
Monday, Feb. 22nd, 5:45pm
This is an online event.
Anthony McLaurin is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Carver MS PTA Zoom Meeting
Time: Feb 22, 2021 05:45 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 969 5011 1588
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Counselors are conducting rising 7th & 8th grade level scheduling lessons this week and all students are encouraged to record the courses requests for next year via StudentVue. Please feel free to share the Carver Middle's School Counseling Scheduling website: Scheduling website
THANK YOU to our grade 8 (Math) teachers for allowing feeder high schools - Thomas Dale, LC Bird, and Matoaca to conduct their scheduling lessons with our rising ninth graders! Our students were focused and YES excited about attending high school next year!
Scheduling Q & A for rising 7th & 8th graders and their families will be hosted by our School Counseling Department, Monday, February 22nd, 6:15 p.m.-7:30 pm using the Google Meet Code: cmscounseling
Scheduling Q & A for rising 6th graders and their families will be hosted by our School Counseling Department, Wednesday, February 24th, 6-7:30 pm using cmscounseling
Mega Mentors Kickoff session will be Friday, February 26th from 7:45 - 8:15 am. Students who have completed the required Mega Mentors application have received a CANVAS invite/reminder! Mrs. Whitaker and Mr. Powell, Sponsors
Virtual IMPROV Show Comes to Carver MS!
Middle School Sports Update
As middle schools prepare for our students to return to in-person learning on March 9, the Middle School Athletic Council has begun preparations for some athletics and extracurricular activities. In order to be eligible for an athletic activity, students must have a valid VHSL physical, dated after May 1, 2020, and a signed concussion awareness sheet. Students enrolled in any of the learning options, in-person, virtual, or CCPSOnline, will be eligible to participate. Students must be currently enrolled in at least 5 courses and must have passed at least 5 courses from the first semester to be eligible. More information will be provided closer to when our students return to in-person instruction.
CMS 2020-2021 Yearbook Flyer
Yearbook Updates from Mrs. Boyd!
Follow us on our New Official Pages for upcoming news and highlights!
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Please us the following to upload your own pictures to the yearbook:
Link to upload photos:
If you are prompted to enter a User ID, your user ID is 415793944
Or you may send photos to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This year has been exceptionally different for each and every one of us. Let’s end this year strong and make an extra effort to build our community and promote KINDNESS! Please take photos or send a written blurb to Michelle Boyd of our Carver students showing KINDNESS for an opportunity to be featured in our 20/21 Cougar Yearbook. Please be sure to include your student’s name and grade!
If you are posting on your own social media please tags us and use the following hashtags:
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Carver MS Fundraiser
Thank you for the support of our school. I hope that everyone can participate in this online fundraiser. This fundraiser will end on February 25th. Proceeds will benefit our literacy efforts at G.W. Carver MS!
Here are easy steps to follow:
1. Go to www.gofundraisenow.com and click on Register.
2. Enter the 6 digit Group ID # for our
3. Send emails and texts to at least 10 family & friends with the unique link so that you receive proper credit that will count towards our incentive program.
4. You, family and friends shop online, pay with a Visa, Mastercard, Discover or American Express. The items will ship directly to the buyers’ homes.
CCPS Online will be opening registration for the 2021-22 school year on February 1 and will take registrations until July 9, 2021. Additional information and the link to register can be found on the CCPS Online website. Students may register for a full course load if they would like to remain virtual for the 2021-22 school year or they may take supplemental classes while taking a full course load at their home school (fees are required for this option).
CCPS Online also has courses available for the summer of 2021 and all of these courses require a fee. Registration for summer courses begins on March 1. Registration for summer Health/PE 9 will close on May 19. Registration for all other classes this summer will close on June 23. EDMS counselors are happy to answer all questions related to CCPS Online options.
Flex Block Update
Fridays (Office Hours)- Teacher will communicate with students to set up meets for assignments, check-ins, re-teaching and/or make up work. If your student does not have meetings scheduled, they may utilize this time to work on assignments independently.
Hidden Figures! Carver MS School-Wide Read!
We appreciate your support in literacy-based learning, and thank you for your time!
- Feb. 21- PTA Meeting; @ 5:45 p.m.
- Feb. 21- School Counseling Scheduling Q & A 6:15
- Feb. 26- 3 Hour Early Release
March 8- Asynchronous Learning Day
March 9- Cohort Four Students return to in-person instruction
Dr. Jones' Scheduling Updates for Future TDHS Knights
Course Offerings & Selections...
This is the time of year when students and their families, along with their teachers and counselors, begin making decisions about their courses for next year. On January 19, StudentVue will open and students will be allowed to make their selections regarding their classes for next school year.
Prior to selecting their courses, we want our students and families well-informed. For your reference, here is the timeline:
- Registration Knight (12/9)
- Information Sessions with Students regarding course selections (January or February)
- High School counselors will conduct virtual scheduling meetings with the middle schools and students will select their courses for the 2021-2022 school year...
- Carver Middle School...February 12th
I am extremely excited to release our Course Offering Sheet for 2021-2022!!! You will notice 5 tabs at the top. One for each grade level and a Career Cluster and Pathways tab. Please dig in and explore what we offer and align your child's future to their present!
Students may apply at: https://coderva.org/
See the Carver Clinic Newsletter for updates from Nurse Geisz
Curbside Library Pickup
Pledge of Allegiance Google Meet Link!
Please be sure to share the new Google Meet link below with your Cougar to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance live link daily at 7:35 am!
Join the Carver MS Anime Club!
Share the Love with the Carver Staff!
Carver Attendance Line
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Welcome to Mrs. Cathy Whitaker our new School Counseling Coordinator! Please see below for your Counselor's contact information. Sixth grade students are assigned counselors based on last name. Please complete the Carver Schedule Request Form if your child's schedule needs to be adjusted and the appropriate counselor will contact you ASAP.
Mrs. Redding A-Memail@example.com
Mrs. Whitaker N- Zfirstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Cunningham- email@example.com
Support and Self- Care During COVID-19
COVID-19 Support from the Viriginia Department of health: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/chesterfield/.
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.0189 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!