Template for testing fonts
April 3, 2020
Distance learning? We've got this!
This week, the state of Minnesota began distance learning. Across our own District, hundreds of teachers and thousands of students logged onto a total of 15,000 “Google Meets” and leaned into learning in a new way.
- Some kindergarten teachers are reading 7 p.m. bedtime stories to their students from makeshift home offices.
- Dozens of high school students are dropping into Google hangout meets, connecting with each other in real time to learn new topics in a variety of subject areas.
- Many teachers are using game-based educational technology so students can take user-generated online quizzes.
- Science students are completing virtual labs, while math students are working collaboratively to solve math problems.
- Even pets are getting into the action, making appearances in students’ and teachers’ interactions.
These are just some of the examples of personalized, distance learning that occurred this week, thanks to our talented and flexible teachers.
We also want to recognize our students and families. Thank you for your patience, understanding and for showing us some grace during this challenging time. Not everything went perfectly, but that’s to be expected in the first days of any new activity. To use a swimming analogy, this week we only dipped our toes into the water. As the days go by, we are confident we will be swimming laps in no time!
In the meantime, we invite you to take a brief look at what “Distance Learning: Week 1” looked like in Mounds View Public Schools.
Be well. We miss you.