JHS Student/Family Weekly Updates
Week of July 27th: News, Links, and Updates
Greetings Grizzly Students and Families,
I trust that this Back to School note finds you and your family well. Please read through it in its entirety, as there are a lot of details to help you prepare your child for a Strong Start!
On July 27th, during an emergency board meeting, the JUHSD Board of Education approved a plan for schools to continue with 100% At-Home Learning (AHL) through the end of December. As much as we hoped all of us would return to campus as we usually would, we are thankful that our board has prioritized our community's health and safety.Throughout the summer, our dedicated staff has worked together to make At-Home Learning meaningful and rigorous. We are excited to continue to work with students to become diligent and confident learners.
The pandemic has left us all wondering about a new normal. I do not have any good answers about that. But what I do know is that our staff and families are a community. Though it may not be perfect, we will work together through our challenges. We are in this TOGETHER!
Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns. The best way to reach me is via email at email@example.com.
Principal, Jefferson High Scool
Welcome our new Vice Principal, Mr. Christian Storm!
After flurries of vice-principal interviews, I am so excited to welcome Christian Storm as the newest member of our administrative team. The interview panelists were impressed by the experience he brings to the table as an administrator and his professional and collaborative demeanor. His references state that he genuinely cares for the people he works with, whether they are staff, students, or the community. During our interview, and in conversations after, I get a true sense that positive relationships within his school community are paramount.
He is described as a true instructional leader, a man of integrity, and committed to helping students develop their sense of self and responsibility in their global community. Christian has over five years of administrative experience in Washington, and most recently at Burton High School in SF. His classroom experience would include teaching social science and physical education and teaching English Language Learners abroad.
The Board of Education Approve a Plan to Move to 100% At-Home Learning (AHL) for 1st Semester:
1. Please review the bell schedule and important dates to remember here.
We will have two-quarters 1st semester:
Quarter 1: August 10-October 14 (Periods 0,1,4,6)
Quarter 2: October 15-December 18 (Periods 2,3,5,7)
2. Students will meet in two cohorts (A-(Blue) & B-(Gold) via Zoom:
All students will meet on Mondays and Fridays
Cohort A (BLUE) students will meet on Tuesdays
Cohort B (GOLD)students will meet on Thursdays
Office Hours on Wednesdays
*Cohorts will be split by alpha to accommodate siblings**
First Day of School/Orientation is Monday, August 10th. Let's get off to a Strong Start!
**THIS APPLIES FOR THE WEEK OF August 10-August 14th ONLY!!!**
- Students must sign-up for orientation through Sign Up Genius (links listed below).
- During orientation, students will take their photo ID, pick up their schedule, pick up textbooks, and chromebooks/hotspots.
- Orientation will count towards student attendance for the day assigned. If your child cannot participate in orientation, please contact their administrator: (Last Name A-M: Jason Krikava,@firstname.lastname@example.org, Last Name N-Z: Christian Storm, email@example.com)
- No more than 65 students/hour will be allowed on campus.
- Students must maintain physical distancing.
- Students must properly wear a school appropriate face covering, covering their nose and mouth.
- On the days that students do not have orientation, they will be expected to participate in two school assignments.
- Students must check their @jeffersonunion.net Gmail accounts both in the morning and afternoon, and complete both the AM/PM assignment in order to be counted as present for each day.
Student Orientation Dates.
CIF and CCS have started to post athletic dates for the 2020-2021 school year. The year is now divided into two seasons instead of three:
Season 1 (practice starts December 14th): Football, Cross Country, Volleyball
Season 2 (practice starts late February/early March): Badminton, Boys/Girls Soccer, Swimming, Boys/Girls Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Track & Field.