CEU REQUIREMENTS FOR TEXAS RCP
What you need to know
In the state of Texas respiratory care practitioners need to complete at least 24 credits/hours of continuing education every 24 months this will be biennial registration period, which means it takes place every other year not every calendar year.
- A permit holder must report during registration if she or he has completed the required CE during the previous two years (biennial registration period).
- Documentation of CE courses shall be made available to the Board upon request, but should not be submitted with the registration. Random audits will be made to assure compliance.
CE Requirements (Per Biennium), a period of two years
- Those who hold temporary permits are not subject to these continuing education requirements.
- One CE or contact hour activity is 50 minutes attendance and participation in an acceptable continuing education experience.
- No CE hours may be carried over from one renewal period to another renewal period.
Acceptable Continuing Education
Continuing education must be in skills relevant to the practice of respiratory care and must have a direct benefit to patients and client and shall be acceptable if the experience falls in one or more of the following categories:
Respiratory care course work
- seminars, workshops, review sessions, workshops and conferences or other organized educational programs completed at or through any respiratory care education program
Voluntary Charity Care
- A retired respiratory care practitioner who is approved by the department for renewal under voluntary charity care may complete reduced continuing education requirements equal to half of the number of continuing education hours required for renewal for a certified respiratory care practitioner.