Sequoia Elementary Newsletter
School News and Updates
Next week is sure to be busy, healthy and fun! We are calling it our Healthy Kids Week since 3 out of 5 days will be focused on how we can move our bodies, eat healthy and do something positive for the environment. Wednesday, October 10th, is Walk and Roll to School Day! We invite all of our students and families to take part in this fun, healthy, environmentally friendly event. Please look below for more details on how your child or whole family can take part. Thursday, October 11th, is Healthy Lunch Day. At our Monday Morning Assembly we will discuss making healthy food choices and encourage students to talk at home about what healthy foods they can put in their lunch or get from our school lunch program on Thursday. And Friday, October 12th, is the Sequoia Safari Walk-A-Thon! I'm excited to see how many laps our students walk and run to earn money for our school. Overall, it will be an active, healthy, exciting week!
If you have not taken part in a Sequoia Walk-A-Thon before, you are in for a fun time! Feel free to bring chairs and get set up near the track to watch your child walk and run, get their face painted, play games with friends and more! Our Sequoia Walk-A-Thon Auction will go live on Friday so be on the lookout for more information soon.
Lastly, I want to share some exciting news. Our very own Mrs. Slay, 4th grade teacher, has been awarded the Rincon Valley Union School District Teacher of the Month Award for October! Mrs. Slay has been a teacher in Rincon Valley for 27 years and at Sequoia for 17 of those years. She is kind, maintains high expectations and always sees the best in her students. We also love that she dresses up for every Sequoia Spirit Day! Please join us in congratulating Mrs. Slay for a well deserved recognition!
Walk and Roll To School
Wednesday, Oct. 10th, 8am
Sequoia Elementary School
Drop Off Locations:
- If you usually drop off by car in the morning and your child would like to participate, we have two locations that students can walk and roll onto campus with teachers.
- Staff will be in the Safeway parking lot (on Calistoga Rd.) waiting for WALKING students only.
- Staff will also be at Oaklake Green Park (corner of Garfield Park and Monte Verde) waiting for WALKING and ROLLING students.
- Please be at either location promptly at 8:00am as staff will be leaving no later than 8:15am.
Rolling to Campus Information:
- If your child is rolling onto campus, please make sure they are wearing a helmet.
- If our bike racks fill up, the gym will be available to keep bikes for the day.
- If your child attends daycare and your child's bike is in the gym, we will have them move it to a bike rack location after school until you are able to pick up.
- We encourage you to bring a bike lock because we do not have a secure location to keep bikes after this event.
Activities on Walk and Roll Day:
- Mr. Tayler will be working on bikes near the counseling office at lunch recess. He will have extra tools for students to use if they'd like to join in and learn about bikes and bike repair.
- As a school we will graph how all of our students came to school that day.
Incentives and More Fun:
- Students who Walk and Roll to school or walk 5 laps that day will receive a Go Green Ticket which will be entered into a raffle for prizes.
- The classes with the most walkers and rollers will get extra recess in the coming weeks.
- We will also have a Frequent Walk and Roll Program for those that want to keep the walk and roll going! Stay tuned for more information on that next week.
If your child is Kinder-2nd grade we expect that they will have an adult accompany them on and off campus before and after school.
Parent SIte Council Members Needed
SPC Meeting Next Week!
Thursday, Oct. 11th, 6:30pm
Sequoia Elementary School MPR
Child care available on site.
Sunday, Oct. 28th, 2-5pm
Sequoia Elementary MPR
Arts and Crafts, haunted stage, entertainment, and refreshments! Costumes encouraged.
Email Jeremy De La Torre to help set up, run and clean up the event. Jeremydelatorre@ymail.com
Hot Air Balloon Landing Photos and Article!
- School will resume normal hours (8:30-2:55) beginning Monday, October 8th.
- For safety purposes, please make sure you check in at the office whenever you are on campus during school hours. Even if you volunteer regularly, we'd like you to get a visitors badge at the office.
Dates to Remember
- Oct. 10th - Walk and Roll to School
- Oct. 11th - SQ Bball vs Whited @ SQ
- Oct. 11th - Healthy Lunch Day
- Oct. 12th - Walk A Thon
- Oct. 21st - Garden Work Party (more info to come)
- Oct. 28th - Halloween Carnival
- Nov. 2nd - Non Student Day