By: Aspen Hastings, Jared Trescott, and Rachel Swakopf
What is it?
Mental Disorder: an illness of the mind that can affect of the thoughts, feelings and behaviors of a person, preventing him/her from leading a happy, healthful, and productive life
Bipolar Disorder: condition in which a person has period of depression and periods of being extremely happy or being cross or irritable
Is it genetic?
- The cause of the disorder is not fully understood/ known
- Genetics definitely have a part in the risk factor of getting the disorder
- In about 90% of cases people who have bipolar disorder also have a family member who has it as well
- So you are set at higher risk of having/ getting the disorder if someone in your family has it too
How is it controlled?
- Medication(Mood Stabilizing Medication)
- Behavioral Therapy
- Family Therapy
Effects if not treated?
- Severe mood swings
- Changes in daily habits (eating, sleeping, etc.)
- Suicidal attempts
- Abuse of illegal drugs and alcohol(especially cocaine)
Living with Bi-Polar Disorder
- 1 in 4 bipolar sufferers receive diagnoses within 3 year
- 1 in 2 bipolar sufferers have had co-occurring substance abuse issues
- The average age of onset for bipolar disorder is 25 years old
- 1.5% of people in the world have bipolar disorder