Message from Mission Control
* Grade levels, please send me your grade level feedback about the possible change in clubs to the math/literacy clubs. This would be each Friday for 30 minutes. The plan would be to have the specialists/specials teachers also assigned to a particular "group" so they could go and assist as well.
* Another thing that was discussed at our Literacy Council meeting was having students who are struggling in reading to have a staff "book buddy" to whom they read to each day. Office members, Tammie, specials teachers, etc. would all be willing to listen to a child read. This will help them to increase that individual reading time that Angela spoke about being so effective, but we lack the time to do it efficiently. This would be beneficial for all kids, but I can definitely see it being a great thing for our younger kiddos. This helps them to build confidence, and they love to read to new people. Please talk with your team and reach out to staff members who would be a great "book buddy" to some students.
*Group pictures are next Tuesday. Try to send a reminder home to students in your newsletters and emails.
* Make sure to read all of the emails that you are sent. I know we get A LOT, but a lot of questions can be answered if you take the time to read the emails. The email about grades and how to enter grades after Skyward automatically rolls it over was really important, and we still had numerous questions after the email had already been sent.
* We will have cake and punch in the lounge next Friday to wish Kelly Taylor well as she leaves us to head to Comanche to become their new counselor. We will miss her greatly and are sad to see her go, but we are also so proud of her accomplishments and know she will be amazing! Make sure to stop by the lounge for cake, sign the card and grab some punch.
* Bobby has sent out the schedule for benchmark testing, so make sure to look it over and let him know if you have questions. We appreciate everyone's flexibility as we prepare for testing by having this "mock" testing day. A letter was printed off yesterday to send home to our 3rd-5th grade students that lists the dates of the testing and how the benchmarks would be used. Please make sure you send this letter home.
* Teachers, don't forget... if you are interested in having a S'more account to send home these electronic newsletters, please let me now, The district has expanded it's account, so they are able to offer it to more teachers! All I will need to do is send Dr. Parker your name and email. Then, S'more will send you an email (check Clutter) and give you specific directions on how to set it up.
This year, we will be implementing our GE life principles during announcements, as well as having the opportunity for kids to respond using the white interactive papers in the hallway (formerly used for vocabulary).
Each life principle will be talked about during a 1 week period. You will be getting the schedule sent this week, and it will also be posted on the One Note staff portal. We will discuss on announcements, and students will have the opportunity to write (or draw) how they show this life principle. For example, the first one is self discipline. They can write on the paper how they show or can use self discipline. This will require thinking and application... so it brings in the higher levels. We will talk about the expectations of how this will be used on the announcements, so the students are familiar with what is acceptable.
Just as the vocabulary has been done in the past, the life principles will remain posted on the wall, so that the students can see them and refer back to them. The Elk of the Month will be chosen based on the life principles that have been discussed for the month. Each student chosen will not have to demonstrate ALL of the life principles, but one or more.
This week, our life principle is:
Compassion- having empathy and understanding where people are coming from
DATES TO REMEMBER
Thursday, January 18th:
Kori off campus
Friday, January 19th:
Report cards sent home
Tuesday, January 23rd:
Wednesday, January 24th:
PTA party bus (Big Kahuna winners) to Cici's (TBA)
Friday, January 26th: Continue previous rotation (LAST ONE)
Liz Hatley on Campus- 12:00-2:40
Clubs (Follow Clubs Schedule)
Tuesday, January 30th:
Benchmarks: 4th Writing & 5th Math
Wednesday, January 31st:
Benchmarks: 5th Reading
Thursday, February 1st:
Kori off campus at meeting
School Counselor's Week
Monday, February 5th:
World's Finest Chocolate assembly @ 8:30
Thursday, February 8th:
Kori off campus at meeting
Friday, February 9th:
Dental Program-Creature Teacher (Kg-2) @ 8:30 in cafeteria
Valentine's Parties @ 1:50