This Week @ PS 88Q
March 27th, 2022
A Message From Mrs. O'Shaughnessy
I hope everyone had a wonderful week. Here we are, the last week of March and the beginning of April! The cherry blossom tree and daffodils in the front of the building remind us that Spring is indeed here!
Inside our building, the reminders of Spring are everywhere. Our students are preparing for the NYS ELA test this week in many ways. Students are not only learning about the best strategies for taking the test, but how to manage any stress, anxiety or unnecessary pressure. As I described to them, it is a snapshot of a particular day. It doesn't define who they are and what they know. Our grade 3, 4, and 5 students, for the most part, have never taken a state exam, so it is understandable that they may feel nervous. On Monday, we will meet in the auditorium to remind them that they are capable, they are smart and they are ready. We emphasize a growth mindset always! Our SJC and Mr. Canales created this amazing video featuring the ALL STARS of PS 88q. Students and staff share what works best. Take a look!
Last week, we know that TEST PREP takes many forms. Stepping away from the books to enjoy a show (Nick the Balloonatic) or playing basketball with the Brooklyn Nets staff remind them that we want them to feel confident.
This week is another busy one (when isn't it!). We have arranged for the next week and the following week to have a wonderful "Paint and Sip" experience for our students. Students are scheduled this week and next to paint a wonderful painting on canvas with a local artist, while sipping their juice! Grades K-2 will take part while our grade 3-5 students are testing. Our grade 3-5 students will paint on Thursday, Friday, and the following Monday and Tuesday. What a great way to relax, post test.
This week we will have a mobile vaccine clinic outside of our school on Monday and Tuesday. This is for children aged 5-11. See flyer below.
I am so proud of the extracurricular activities going on at PS 88Q. Our Zoom a Teacher, Band and Disney production is going great! These are only possible because of the dedicated and passionate staff at PS 88Q.
If there is anything else you would like to see at PS 88Q, please let me know. Click here to submit those ideas.
Stay tuned for updates during the week, but have a wonderful week!
April 2 is World Autism Awareness Day
Every April Autism Speaks celebrates World Autism Month, beginning with the United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day on April 2. This year marks the 15th annual World Autism Awareness Day
Supporters can participate in World Autism Month by:
- Taking the pledge to create a world where all people with autism can reach their full potential by increasing understanding and acceptance. You’ll receive free information, resources and tools to engage and advocate in your community and learn the impact of your support through Autism Speaks.
- Join our 2.8 million social followers and help foster understanding and acceptance by sharing the diverse stories of people on the spectrum or telling your own. Submit your story for our social media pages here.
- Invite your colleagues, classroom and friends to join our Kindness Campaign and encourage acceptance, understanding and inclusion with daily acts of kindness at school, work or in your community. Together, we can create a world where all people with autism can reach their full potential.
- Make a meaningful, lasting impact for people with autism with your gift. It’s one of the easiest and best ways to show your support. Donate today!
- Learn about all the ways you can fundraise on social media.
- Joined by the international community, hundreds of thousands of landmarks, buildings, homes and communities around the world come together on April 2, World Autism Awareness Day, to Light It Up Blue in recognition of people with autism and those who love and support them.
Everyone is encouraged to participate. Whether you have autism, love someone who does, or are looking to support a diverse, accepting and kind community – you’re invited to take the pledge to help create a world where all people with autism can reach their full potential.
Mobile Vaccination Site @ PS 88Q
On Monday March 28th and Tuesday March 29th, there will be a mobile POP UP vaccine clinic at PS 88Q for children ages 5-11 years old. See below information
Brooklyn Nets Clinic
The Fifth Grade was so excited to have a Brooklyn Nets Clinic just for them! On Friday, March 25th, staff from the Brooklyn Nets came to PS 88Q to show the students what it is like to be a student athlete! All grade 5 students took part in the fun, and even received a Brooklyn Nets hat and T-Shirt!
Nick The Balloonatic
On Tuesday and Wednesday, Nick The Balloonatic entertained all of the students at PS 88Q. His show not only made the students laugh so loud, but his message was just as powerful. Believe in yourself, use your imagination, follow you dreams, be a friend, NEVER BULLY, and have fun!
From Our PTA
Hi PS88Q families,
It's back! Our 2 weeks of free shipping will happen from 3/11/2022 - 3/28/2022. This will be the final free shipping period for this school year.
Get YOUR personalized spirit wear in time for your child(ren)'s Field Day (DATE NOT ANNOUCED YET), Mother's Day, Father's Day, Teacher/Staff Week and/or graduation (DATE NOT ANNOUNCED YET). We also have E-gift certificates.
Please check your child(ren)'s folder, physical flyers will be going out this week and the posters will be on the gates.
Thank you to all who have supported the Spirit Wear Direct store. It's truly appreciated, and all profits made go directly towards the school.
Click on your spirit wear store's link: https://www.ps88senecaspiritwear.com/