In the LOOP vol. 17
GUEST SHOUT OUTS
Thank you CASSIE BOYD & KATHY ILACQUA for helping out at Family Bingo Night!
Thank you KATHY MURRAY & JENN CULLEY for setting up our MLK display!
PLEASE continue to keep our colleagues in your thoughts and prayers as they continue to endure some difficult times. Remember to lean on each other for support.
Who would you like to recognize? Send me your Shout-outs to share!
FAMILY MATH AND LITERACY NIGHTS
Family Math Night will be Thursday, February 25th.
Family Lit Night will be Wednesday, March 23rd
We would love to have some volunteers for those events so if you are interested/available to help out those nights please send Mrs. Prestel and email.
Thank you for your support!
February of 2016
2nd Parenting Series CD @ Geisler 6:30 -8:30pm
3rd Principal’s Meeting - Michelle @ ESC 1:00 -3:00
4th Pizza Kits Fundraiser Pick Up 12:00 - 5:00 PM
4th Board Meeting - 7:30 PM
5th 4th and 5th grade Champ Luncheon
5th Spirit Wear - Go Wildcats! Anything w/ Guest Logos, Math Pentathlon, etc. to show your spirit.
5th Student Council Pancake Supper and Auction 6:30 -8:00 PM
8th Kindergarten Nursery Rhyme Program 9:30 - 10:15 in Classrooms
8th 4th and 5th Grade Champ Luncheon
9th Hungry Howie’s Night
10th Student Count Day
10th Michelle out for Teacher Evaluation Meeting 12:00 - 4:00 @ ESC
10th Performance Task PD @ the ESC 4:30 - 6:00
10th Christian holiday of Ash Wednesday
No meat eaten this day by Catholics
Christians do not eat meat during Lent on Fridays (February 12 – March 25)
11th Bus Evacuation - busses running approximately 15 minutes late
12th Spirit Wear - Go Wildcats! Anything w/ Guest Logos, Math Pentathlon, etc. to show your spirit.
12th Annual Family Dance PTA Event 6:30 - 8:00 PM
12th Mid-Winter Break - Final Day for Students and Staff
13th thru 21st Mid-Winter Break
22nd School Resumes from Mid-Winter Break
23rd Staff Meeting and PLC 4:15 - 6:30 PM
25th Shelter in Place/Lockdown drill 3:00pm
25th Family Math Night 6:30 - 8:00
26th Joyce Fouts from Galileo visits for lunch 11:30 - 12:45
26th 4th and 5th grade Champ Luncheons
- 29th 4th and 5th grade Champ Luncheons
ONLINE 6 HOUR TRAINING - will be reviewed in the Monday Minute
- The Collaboratorium reminds me of Edmodo - a place to collaborate with one another. Our group name is: WLCSDGuest
- Modules have quizzes and the final quiz has to have a certain amount correct
- Follow Modules in order - they are set up like the document Sara and Meagen shared with us. Each Module explains the FIVE Key Strategies of Formative Assessment - that is a bonus!
- There are videos (easy to miss so look closely)
- When you click on parts of the Modules, you will notice a box that will show a check mark, it does not mean that you completed the tasks, it just shows you clicked on that part of the Module.
- I am learning how to accept you in our group
- Click HERE to get started.
MESSAGES FROM MICHELLE
- VALENTINE'S PARTY PLANS - Please send me your plans ASAP - <3
- STUDENT COATS - I had a couple complaints about students coming home with dirty coats due to lunch spills. A kindergartner told her mom she loves school except for wearing her coat at lunch. I am thinking students can take put hats, gloves, mittens, and scarfs in the sleeve of their coat and sit on them. What are your thoughts? This would be K, 1, & 2... I only heard from kindergarten parents. Please respond with your thoughts. Thanks
- SHOUT-OUTS - Please send me shout-outs
- iREADY - All testing must be completed before February break
- CHECK YOUR MAILBOX - Please be sure to check your mailbox everyday for important notes to go home and/or pertinent information. We need to communicate with our families in a timely manner - thank you
- ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL - We have procedures to ensure our arrival and dismissal process is safe and efficient. Please be sure you are greeting your students in the morning and walking them out to their buses. Listen for the announcement to follow the dismissal line-up.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE PD: FYI - “Becoming an Ally for Social Justice” which will be presented by teachers and administrators from the Walled Lake Schools Social Justice Team on Monday, February 8 from 4:45 – 7:15 p.m. 2.5 hours of staff development credit will be available for this workshop in the Board Room at the ESC. If interested, please register for this event.
- PIZZA ME PROJECTS FROM KATHY: Kathy and Kayla will be hanging all projects in the hallways. They may have to adjust some displays so the pizza boards are lined up.
- DISPLAY MY ART FROM ANDREA: Your own children can participate - be sure to grab a form out of Andrea's mailbox.
- Google Passwords: Guest Student List (Excel Format) is in a folder called “student logins” on the GUEShared Drive. Whenever there is an update to the Guest Student List, Bryan Koval will update the student logins folder. By doing this, it will give teachers access to the student list.
Please ensure students are not marked tardy before 9:05. We are discovering some inconsistencies which can become problematic when one sibling receives a letter from the office regarding excessive tardiness, and the other sibling(s) do not because Skyward does not indicate as many tardies. We will try to catch as many as possible in the office.
A couple years ago, I sent out communication indicating a time to mark students tardy; please note it may be different than what I am requesting now, I feel with the new semester and improved office procedures, this would be a good time to become more consistent. Additionally, we begin school earlier, so I need to make the adjustment.
Technically, students should be marked tardy after the second bell which is 8:55. My rationale not to mark students tardy after the second bell, but instead after 9:05 include the following:
· Sometimes buses are late
· Breakfast might be running late due to more students purchasing that day
· Weather impacts arrivals
· It gives students completing safety positions an opportunity to get into their rooms
· Some student receive interventions include them reporting to another classroom to “check-in”
It is my opinion that by giving a few extra minutes helps our students and classroom teachers calmly settle in to begin the day. As you already know, staff should not be walking in the door with students. Everyone has been very responsible in calling school, texting me, etc. if they are going to be late due to unforeseen circumstances and/or bad driving conditions…Thank you! Please continue to communicate.
THIS SHOULD NOT BE COMMUNICATED TO OUR COMMUNITY… Their job is to get their student(s) to school on time which is by 8:55. I have had several conversations with those families that habitually arrive late. Heather and Sherry are keeping a very close eye on our frequent flyers as well. Please let me know if you have any questions and/or concerns –
TEACHER EVALUATION UPDATES - STUDENT GROWTH MEASURES FOR MATH
For grades 1-5, teachers could have two options:
1.) Use ONE unit progress check of their choice to administer both as a pre and posttest; OR
2.) Use the preview math boxes found in the final lesson(s) of the previous units to administer as a pre and post.
There are 9 tasks found on the beginning of the year assessments. Teachers can choose 1 task to collect data on to show growth.