Quist ROYALS Weekly News
October 28, 2022
It's has been another successful and fun week here at Quist.
From witnessing the first snowflakes of the season to getting to see our students excitement over getting to wear their costumes to school, it's been a great week to be a Royal! It's so great to walk the halls and see all our students engaged, asking good questions and being an active participant in their learning. Thank you to Ms. Kockler for taking our 8th grade choir students to the District 27J's annual Choral Festival. All 8th grade choir students across the district gather with all high schoolers in a day of singing at Riverdale Ridge. A huge shoutout to our families that attended our Fall Fest last Friday. We really have a special community.
Enjoy the last weekend in October. It's crazy to think about November already being here. Be safe if you are going out Trick-or-Treating!
On behalf of the ROYALS Community,
National First Responders Day
- QUARTER 1 AWARDS
Quarter 1 award ceremonies are happening next week!
8th grade: November 2 @ 8:40 a.m.
7th grade: November 3 @ 8:40 a.m.
6th grade: November 4 @ 8:40 a.m.
Here's our list of awards we will be handing out and how you will know if your student is getting an award:
Teacher nominated awards: You will hear from your child's teacher if they are getting one of these awards.
Perfect Attendance awards: Please check your student's attendance in Infinite Campus. Students must be present for the whole school day with no tardies, early exits and/or late arrivals to earn this award.
Honor Roll awards: Please check Infinite Campus for your student's GPA. If your student has an accumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater, they will be receiving an award.
We strongly encourage families to attend the award ceremonies to celebrate our Royals!
- SPIRIT WEEK November 1-4, 2022
- November 1 - Adam Sandler day
- November 2 - White Lie t-shirt day
- November 3 - Country vs. Country Club
- November 4 - Carnival Colors
- Upcoming event - WEB sponsored Carnival Night, November 4. Watch Facebook and email for more information coming soon.
Athletic update from our athletic director, Ms. Brown
- During the first two weeks of practice, coaches will be making decisions about A/B/C team membership. A & B teams are capped at 15 players each; C will hold the balance of the team. As of this email, we have over 50 athletes registered.
- Cody Johnson and Henry Berner are our returning A/B team coaches. Jacob Morris and Jeff Maresh will be co-coaching our C team. We are grateful for their dedication to our program.
- Uniforms, locks, & lockers were handed out. Please encourage your athlete to use their lockers and lock up their valuable items. Locks & lockers are optional. Locks that are not returned at the end of the season will be assessed a $5 fine.
- Next contests - Basketball vs Bromley East Charter, Nov 1, 5:00 p.m. (A team is home, B/C team is away.) and Basketball vs Prairie View MS, Nov 3, 5:00 p.m. (A team is home, B/C team is away.) All season dates are on our school calendar. Here is the link.
- We need a "team Mom/dad/family person" to help organize the end-of-season celebration. The school will provide pizza for the athletes; I need help organizing donations of drinks/sweets/salty yummies to round out the celebration. I also need help designing certificates that will be printed at school. This celebration will take place Dec 22, after school, at Quist. If you would like to help, please reach out.
- Individual and group pictures will be taken by Natalie Beck. Purchase is optional and flyers will be given to athletes. These are scheduled for Wednesday, Nov 2nd. Payment is required at the same time as the order is placed.
- Athletes cannot participate in contests if fees are owed to the school. As of this email, there are $5,649.50 in outstanding fees for the basketball team.
Your Vote Matters!
Ballots should have arrived to you last week! To those who completed their ballots and mailed or dropped them at a 24-Hour Drop Box Location, thank you for actively participating in this year’s election!
For those that have not yet completed and returned your ballot, we are writing again to encourage you to vote in this fall’s mid-term election!
You can find the 24-Hour Drop Box location nearest to you at this link - https://www.adamsvotes.com/ballot-drop-boxes/ or put your ballot in the mail if you complete it by October 31st.
Adams County Elections recommends that if you complete your ballot after October 31st that you drop it at a 24-Hour Drop Box Location to make sure the ballot is received by November 8th.
October 31st is also the last day you can request a replacement ballot.
To track your ballot once it is submitted, visit http://www.govotecolorado.com/.
27J Schools has a mill levy override question (5B) on the ballot. We encourage you to read your ballot, do your research on the issues and candidates, and vote!
As you know, 27J Schools had a bond and a mill levy override question on the ballot last November. The bond was successful. The mill levy override was not.
Of the 75,213 registered voters in 27J Schools boundaries, only 26,242 or 34.89% voted in last November’s election. See the election summary here.
“Democracy is not a spectator sport.”
Marian Wright Edelman
Your Vote Counts!
Guest Teachers Needed
We continue to face labor challenges. You can help. Many parents and community members support us in the important work of substituting. We can use more teacher and para substitutes. Our teacher and para workforce has grown but our sub pool has not yet recovered to match this growth. As a 27J sub, you can choose your location and your work days (hopefully at Quist Middle School). You can talk to Malisa Denke, our office manager, 303-655-6955 or contact directly our 27J sub coordinator Julie Trujillo - 303-655-2900.
Meal Chat Week Seven - Buckets (Control)
Everything that happens to you in life falls into one of three “buckets:” what is in your control, what is out of your control or what is within your influence. We can place each life experience in the correct bucket and act accordingly. This week's Meal Chat looks at Control - how can we manage uncertainty?
Here are the resources for this Meal Chat:
Discover a New Learning Opportunity
Enrollment starts soon for the new Discovery Magnet School, a science focused magnet K-8 school. Interested parents and students are invited to attend an upcoming engagement session.