Culinary Arts Life Information
December 9, 2015
Ending Your Semester Strong
The end of the semester can be the most stressful part of our college lives, and we dread it as the time approaches. Here are a few words of advice:
- First and foremost, know where you stand. Be sure that you have tracked what your current grade is in your course. Take time to reflect on the material you have learned and in the readings. Even if you have received high scores on all your exams, that is not an invitation to slack off and not study for your final.
- Be sure to communicate with your instructor. This is something that should really be done every semester with all of your instructors. Establishing this relationship helps once you come closer to finals time. Even if you haven’t gone in to their office during the semester, it’s never too late. Seek your instructor for extra help if you are encountering some difficulties in the course.
- It’s easy to think about the break coming after finals instead of focusing on the actual tasks at hand. You don’t have to cut your social life entirely, but definitely prioritize and make sure you are putting study time first.
- Do not cram! Maybe this is something you have done before and have waited until the last-minute, sometimes from habit, or sometimes just because life happens. We do this but we all know we shouldn’t. It seems so much easier than actually planning out days of studying. But it doesn’t help! Cramming leads more often than not leads to failing.
- Also, sleep at least 7-8 hours a night. Plan ahead with your study schedule so that you aren’t up late night before an exam. Study bit by bit every day and get the sleep you need to retain information.
Keep your head on right and focus to the very end. Set your goals, know where you stand, and do it right! Finish your semester strong so you can enjoy your break! And just hang in there! It’ll all be over before you know it.
Information retrieved from:
Become a Leader
It's important to gain leadership experience for any career advancement, and if being a Chef is your future, you will need to be a leader.
When possible, taking on a leadership role will grant invaluable experience. Below are a few options for gaining valuable leadership experience on campus....
Get Involved! Be the Voice!
Student Government is dedicated to being the voice of the students and we need you! Student Government is now accepting applications for Senator positions. $225 stipend for the semester.
Applications can be found on the Student Life website, http://studentlife.leeward.hawaii.edu/content/elections, and can be dropped off at the Student Life office in AD 223B or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information contact: email@example.com
Student Activities Board
Ka Mana'o - "The Thought"
If you would like to join Ka Mana'o, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or come by GT 220
Reminder from Ann: Registration and Graduation
Spring 2016 Registration:
Register now for Spring 2016 semester. Please make an appointment with Ann Dorado.
If registering Nov 2 - Dec 11, 2015. Payment is due by 3.30 p.m. on Dec 11, 2015
If you're graduating this semester, please make an appointment with Ann Dorado for degree/certificate check.
- A non-refundable $15 fee is required for an Associate Degree or Certificate of Achievement that can be payed at the cashiers office.
- Degree/Certificate application information can be found at Application for Degree/Certificate.
Leeward Community College holds one Commencement Ceremony every year in the Spring Semester. For more information please click here and here.
Reminder from Tami: Graduating Students Survey
If you're graduating this semester for an Associate Degree or Certificate of Achievement, please complete your Culinary Arts Graduating students' survey. Complete this 5 minutes survey when you see Ann Dorado for degree/certification check or complete the survey online here.
Thank you to all students who've completed this survey. Your response will provide invaluable information for Leeward CC Culinary Arts program!