Second Grade News
October 25, 2016
UnHomework resumes this week!
Field Trip this Friday!
- Have your child wear their Second Grade shirt. If you did not order a shirt, please have your child wear a Frontier shirt (orange, if you have one). Our shirts will be delivered today, so they will come home soon!
- Pack a sack lunch for your child. All things should be able to be thrown away (including the bag, utensils, containers, and water bottle). We will not be able to refrigerate or heat up anything, so please pack accordingly.
- We will leave the school at 9am, so please make sure your child arrives to school on time. If they are eating breakfast at school, please allow a couple extra minutes for them than usual.
- We will return to school before the end of the day. Please pick up your child at our usual dismissal time.
- If you are chaperoning our field trip, check your inbox tomorrow afternoon for an email with details and chaperone information.
Red Ribbon Week (2nd Grade PJ Day Change)
Wednesday- "Team up against drugs"- wear your favorite sports team attire
Thursday- "Hats off to being drug free"- wear a hat HOWEVER, second grade has received special permission to wear their PJs to school on Thursday, given that PJ day falls on our field trip day.
Friday- Field Trip! Please wear tennis shoes, and your second grade shirt (coming home soon!) OR a Frontier shirt (orange, if you have it!)
What are we learning?
- Math- "What's my rule?" routines, Counting strategies for subtraction, Shortcuts for "harder" subtraction facts
- Reading- Fluency Skills: speed/pacing, reader's theater, author's purpose, multiple-meaning words
- Phonics- Open-syllable pattern
- Writing- Personal narratives
- Social Studies- Branches of the Government
- Science- Rocks
Phonics Focus Words
Skill: Open-syllable pattern
Meaning: Words that end with a vowel are open-syllable words.
Words: cry, go, she, fly, we, so, baby, robot, tidy
- 25- Red Ribbon Week
- 27- Spirit Store
- 28- Spirit Day
- 3- Chick-Fil-A Night
- 6- Daylight Savings Time ends- Fall back!
- 10- Papa Murphy's Night
- 16- PTO Meeting
- 17- Marco's Pizza Night
- 18- Falcon Fest- Ziggy!
- 23-25 Thanksgiving Break (No School)
- 28- Dec. 2- Bedlam Canned Food Drive
- 2- Pictures with Santa
- 2- Spirit and Popcorn Day
- 13-16 Holiday Store
- 14- PTO Meeting
- 22- Jan. 4- Winter Break (No School)
Please be familiar with our schedule and make sure your child is wearing appropriate clothing and shoes on P.E. days.
Monday: Library and Health
Wednesday: C.O.R. (bring library books to school) and P.E.
Helpful Links & Resources (click below)
Learn and practice our classroom rules with your child. Be sure to ask about our hand motions!