1B Weekly News
June 4, 2015
A Note From Mrs. Waters
It is hard to believe that next week is the last week of school. So this will be the last first grade newsletter. I have really enjoyed the pleasure of teaching your children. They have all worked very hard, and it has been a successful year for social and academic growth.
Next week's ABC countdown:
Sunday: Visit a 2nd grade class
Monday: Wacky hair day
Tuesday: X-change autographs
Wednesday: Yellow and year end party
Thursday: Zip up and zoom home
This summer, please have your child read and talk about books every day, write often and practice their math facts and word problems so that they are prepared for second grade.
Here is a list of Apps to Prevent the Summer Slide:
- Forest Phonics
- Math Doodles
- Math Word Problems (there is a version for KG and 1st grade, and a version for 2nd and 3rd grade, please stick to the earlier version for review instead of pushing ahead into more challenging and potentially frustrating concepts)
- Show Me (a space for students to explain anything they know)
- Raz Kids (teacher: cwaters8)
- Myon ((asd username and password)
- Tumble Books (asd username and password)
- Brain Pop Jr. (username: asdoha, password dragon)
There are EDM math workbooks in your child's backpack that were used a little at the beginning of the year for extra support.
Compared and contracted different versions of the same fairy tale.
Complete their own fairy tale book. Next week they will "publish" their book.
Review math facts and played lots of new math games to help review all they have learned this year.
Complete the unit of My Community: Now and Then by reviewing and taking two unit tests.
From the Library
On 7 and 8 June, students and parents will be able to check out 15 items for the summer recess from the library. Students require parental permission to do this. Please see the attached form. There will also be a copy in this week's Sahifa library news for future reference.
May 6-June1: ABC countdown to the end of the year
Sunday, June 7th: Step-up to 2nd grade
Tuesday, June 9th: Full-day of school
Wednesday, June 10th: End of Year Party (students)
Thursday, June 11th: Last day of School!; 11:30am Dismissal