5th Grade News Bennett Elementary
Week of March April 11-15th
Reading, Writing, and Social Studies
In Reading, students will work to read and analyze non-fiction. Students will take their end of year Reading MAP test and will work to create a poster digitally about the college they researched. Students will be working to show knowledge of their literature circle book. Homework this week is researching an assigned topic over the Industrial Revolution. This is due Friday, April 15th.
In Social Studies, students will be sharing what they learned about the Civil War. We will begin to learn about the Industrial Revolution, including child and women labor, working conditions in factories, inventors and inventions, and public health during this time.
Math and Science
In Math, we will be completing our logic and problem solving unit called Athenian Secret. They had a lot of fun working with their team solving various puzzles. We will be introducing our next concept, which is Hands On Equations. Hands On Equations is an easy, hands on way to learn basic algebra. This will be a perfect step towards 6th grade Math!
In Science, we will be finishing our last unit of study before we begin to review for the Science STAAR. During this unit the students have explored the water and carbon dioxide - oxygen cycles and discovered balance and stability that occurs in the natural world. Students explored plant and animal life cycles and adaptations. They also learned about the balance between various interactions that occur between living and nonliving things in ecosystems. There will be an assessment over the above concepts on Tuesday, April 19th. We will send home a study guide in the coming days. There will be a new homework assignment (spiraling concepts from the beginning of the year) which is attached below that will be due on Monday, April 18th.
Math and Science Homework
- Monday, April 11th- Chess Club 3-4p
- Tuesday, April 12th - 5th Grade Choir Celebration; Kidz Science 3-4p; PTO General Meeting, Elections, and Bond Presentation 7p
- Wednesday, April 13th - Engineering 3-4p
- Thursday, April 14th and Saturday April 16th - Evans Band Select Your Instrument
- Week of April 18th - Pie live donations from 7:30-7:50 in main hall; STUCO Act of Kindness Week
- Monday, April 18th- STUCO meeting @ 7:15a, Chess Club from 3-4p
- Tuesday, April 19th - Taste it Tuesday; Color Run Pizza lunch 12p on stage
- Wednesday, April 20th - Engineering 3-4p; Mrs. Dusek's Birthday
- Thursday, April 21- Carnival Prepaid orders delivered
- Friday, April 22- STUCO store from 7:30-7:50a under clock; Growth and Development video @ 2p.
- Saturday, April 23rd -Spring Carnival from 3:00-7:00p
- Monday, April 25th - Color Run Kona Ice 1:30; Early Voting Begins; Chess Club 3-4p
- Tuesday, April 26th- Austin College Field Trip; Color Run Sonic Drinks @ 2:15; PTO May Newsletter goes out
- Wednesday, April 27th - Progress Reports go home; Engineering 3-4p
- Thursday, April 28th - ALPHA Showcase Awards Night
- Friday, April 29th - 2:15p Friday Live; Relay for Life @ 7p McKinney High
- Tuesday, May 24th - End of Year Celebration at 2pm
- Wednesday, June 1st- 5th Grade Party beginning at 12:30p
- Thursday, June 2nd- 5th Grade Walk/ Flag Ceremony at 2pm
- Saturday, June 4 - Rough Rider McKinney ISD Night
Extra PTO Information
5th Grade Party Information
McKinney ISD Rough Rider Night - June 4th
Have you read the whole newsletter??
Bennett 5th Grade
Shannon Dusek - firstname.lastname@example.org
Beth Higgins - email@example.com
Natalie White - firstname.lastname@example.org