Fix Unjust Sentencing
"We have to consider whether this is the smartest way for us to both control crime and to rehabilitate individuals." - President Barack Obama.
- Sixty percent of Americans oppose laws mandating minimum prison terms for nonviolent crimes and sixty three percent of Americans support moving away from mandatory drug sentences
- 1 in 28 children have at least one parent in jail. That is close to 3% of children.
- The US prison population has quadrupled since 1980
- Over 2 million people are incarcerated
- It costs tax payers 80 billion dollar a year to pay for them
- Over crowding in prisons is now a huge issue
- Drug possession charges have sent people to jail for more years than violent criminals in some cases
- President Obama is the first president to ever visit a federal prison
Follow our twitter handle @Prison_Reform_M in order to spread the word and learn about Prison Reform.
Sign this petition that is going to Senator Johnny Isakson and Senator Chuck Grassley. Senator Grassley (R- Iowa) is a leader in the bipartisan movement for prison reform within congress. His bill will help the conditions within prisons, mandatory minimum sentences, and help the former prisoners when they get out of prison. He has the power to influence the decisions in the government, works for the common good, and with the help of many people signing this petition, we can all be small part of the change in unjust sentences.