The U.S. Senate
- Your age has to be 30 years old or older.
- Must be a citizen of the United States for 9 years before election and legal residents of the state they represent.
- A Senators term is 6-year terms.
- Senators also begin their terms on January 3, after the election held the previous November.
Salary and Benefits, and Privilages
- The Senate and the House set their own salary. The Congresses salary is $174,000 a year.
- A benefit is that when senators and representatives may be eligible for pensions of up to $50,000 or more a year for life.
- The Constitution provides members of Congress certain privileges to protect them while carrying out their legislative duties.