5 Facts about costa rica
- There are 800 miles of coastline, both on the Atlantic and Pacific.
- There are over 130 species of fish, 220 of reptiles, 1,000 butterflies (10% of the world’s butterflys are in Costa Rica!), 9,000 plants, 20,000 species of spiders and 34,000 species of insects!
- They claim a 96% literacy rate. In very poor and rural areas, where children can’t get to schools, they teach classes over a national radio station.
- Often times milk is sold in a little plastic bag, and you have to cut the edge with scissors to open it, which often results in inexperienced gringos covered in milk and putting water on their cereal.
- Costa Rica is the longest-standing democracy in Central America.
hearty meal made up of rice mixed with black beans, all served up alongside sour cream, scrambled eggs and fried plantain.