March Faculty Meeting
Tuesday, March 2
ACS District Goals
Expand access to district preschool programs and ensure our preschool students meet district achievement goals.
We will strengthen core instruction so that all subgroups will be successful without the need for a supplemental instruction as measured by number of students receiving interventions.
The Whole Child-Resiliency. Adaptation. Success.
Asheville City Schools will assess and restructure operational systems in an effort to address the needs of the whole child by providing opportunities to ensure all students graduate college and/or career ready.
Claxton School Improvement Goals
Create a more inclusive school culture by equipping staff with new strategies for recognizing and supporting the strengths and needs of the whole child.
Goal #2 Academic Achievement
62.6% of our black students will be proficient in reading by 2018 as compared to in 2015.
Goal #3 Academic Achievement
61.2% of our black students will be proficient in math by 2018 as compared to in 2015
Goal #4 Whole Child
Increase parent involvement of our at-risk student population as identified by students in the red or yellow on MCLASS DIBELS/TRC.
- Shelly Powell 5th
- Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the instructional assistants and support staff who have covered classrooms when subs have not shown up this month. We could not have made it with out your support.
- Thank you K-5 teachers, Title I interventionists, Mark, and Derek for three days of amazing data dives.
- Thank you to Brooks Butler for another amazing Chinese New Year Celebration. The kids love it and so look forward to it.
- Thank you to the 3rd, 4th, 5th grade teachers, Karen Rigsby, and the custodial team for all the time that went into the Valentine's Dance.
- Thank you to Vandora, Molly, Mark, and Robin for facilitating Family Voices at the Montford Center.
- Thank you to the staff who participated in Digital Learning Day. I was super impressed with the digital learning lessons in your classrooms.
- Thank you to the PTO for a yummy lunch.
- Thank you to everyone who helped cover the front desk while Kathy was at her training.
- Thank you to all our staff who have given tours of the school.
- Congratulations to our TAPAS grant recipients.
- Robin Adams for her successful Donors Choose project for Kore WOBBLE chairs.
- Shout outs from the crowd . . .
Asheville City Schools Foundations Champions
- Julie Porter-Shirely, former Claxton PTO Co-President
- Christy Ramm, former Claxton PTO Co-President
- Ian Wilkinson, local mural artist
Chicken Dinner & Math Carnival
- Tuesday, March 15
- 5:30 until 7:00
- Dinner in cafeteria
- Math games in gym
- Each grade level is responsible for a math game
- Supply order for math game due on Friday, March 4
- Rachel Hale is sending out flyers w/ RSVP in Thursday folders
- Place RSVPs in Rachel's box
Claxton Restructuring Team to Present & Solicit Feedback on ACS Restructuring
- Derek Edwards, Assistant Principal
- Justin Williams, School Improvement Team Chair
- Laura Morris, Claxton Teacher of the Year
- Tricia Johnson, Claxton PTO Co-Chair
2016 NC Teacher Working Conditions Survey
- Window is from March 1 until March 25
- Link to Q & A http://www.ncteachingconditions.org/uploads/File/NC16_FAQ_web.pdf
- James will distribute the NC Working Conditions Codes to certified teachers
- Staff split between two schools will be able to take it at both schools.
UPCOMING EVENTS FOR MARCH & APRIL
- Tuesday, March 2, PTO Meeting at 6:00 pm at the Grant Center
- Friday, March 4, Southern Conference Tournament trip
- Friday, March 4, FIRST FRIDAY AT ASHEVILLE PIZZA
- Saturday, March 5, Bowling for Big Brothers and Big Sisters
- Thursday, March 10, 3rd Focus Session on Academic Achievement from 5:15 until 6:15 in the ACS Board Room
- Friday, March 11, Early Release, PTO provides lunch for staff
- Monday, March 14, School Improvement Team Meeting
- Tuesday, March 15, Math Carnival and Chicken Dinner from 5:30 until 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, March 16, K-5 Career Fair in gymnatorium from 9:00 until noon
- Friday, March 18, Light the Night Auction at the YMI Cultrual Center
- Saturday, March 19, Spring Grounds Work Day
- Thursday, March 24, Family Voices/Community Outreach at the Grant Center from 5:30 until 7:00
- Monday, March 28, through Friday, April 1 Spring Break
- Wednesday, April 6, through Friday, April 8, 5th grade in Washington, D.C.
- Monday, April 11, 2nd grade performs at the Orange Peel at 9:15