- Making of thermometers, barometers and other scientific instruments.
- Used to make silent, position dependent switches. (electrical instruments)
- Its vapour is used in streetlights, fluorescent lamps and advertising signs.
- Used in pesticides, dental work and batteries.
- The most important use of mercury is in the preparation of chlorine. (Chlorine is produced by passing an electric current through sodium chloride)
The only metal liquid.Highly Toxic
Good electrical conductor
It has very high surface tension.
It does not react with oxygen in the air