West Side Story 2.0
October 23, 2018
Assuring learning excellence and readiness for a changing world.
Homecoming 2018 was an amazing Scarlet event! Thank you to all who attended and to those who helped make it such an incredible event. Here are just some of the highlights:
- Keely Schuck was crowned Homecoming Queen, escorted by Terry Moore
- Magen Dittbenner won the talent show
- The student dodgeball team beat the teacher team in the dodgeball championship
- Afternoon karaoke was a hit!
- Our Scarlet football team won the Homecoming game with a victory over Faribault
- The class of '93, '68 and '58 joined in our celebrations
- Six new members were inducted into the Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Nominations for our 2019 Hall of Fame are now open. If you know a Scarlet alumni or former staff member that you would like to nominate for our Hall of Fame, please find the nomination form on the link below. The five categories established as criteria for selecting inductee’s for the Hall of Fame include the following:
• Athletic / Entertainment
• Science / Technology
• Community Service
• Entrepreneur / Industrial
Congratulations to our National Merit Scholars!
Our Scarlet National merit Scholars for the class of 2019 include:
National Merit Semi-Finalist - Lucas Guo
National Merit Commended Scholars - Justin Qualley, Isabel Lorenz, and Dan Egli
College and Career Day
Seniors filling out college applications and financial aid forms.
College and Career Day
Seniors checking out their options for life after high school.
End of First Quarter
Students should be in communication with teachers regarding missing work and/or missed assessments to ensure that this first quarter reflects their efforts. Please encourage your student to check in with his/her teacher with any questions by the end of this week.
State Soccer Tournament
Girls soccer won the Section Championship for the 3rd year in a row! Their first round game in the state tournament is Wednesday, October 24 at 7:30pm in Farmington. There will be a state send off pep fest at 9:00 Wednesday morning in the auditorium. Go Scarlets!
We would like to invite you to partner with us in emphasizing the importance of attendance with your child by encouraging your child to attend school regularly. Please limit absences by scheduling appointments, vacations, college visits, etc. on non-school days. Should your child need to miss school, please notify the office on the day of your child’s absence.
Absences not verified within 48 hours will remain unexcused, and unexcused absences can result in losing credit for a class and truancy. Please feel free to contact Mike Elston or Brian Hansen if you have questions about your child’s attendance. We look forward to seeing your child every day and working with you to ensure your child has a successful experience at West High School.
School Attendance Line
Please report student absences by calling: (507) 387-2490. If there is no answer, please leave a message.
Coming Soon: Other Important Dates
- Thursday, November 1: Last Day of Quarter 1
- Friday, November 2: No school, teacher work day
College Visits: Representatives from the following colleges and universities will meet in the Counseling Center on the following dates:
- Army Recruiter - Monday, October 29 @ 10:00
- Augustana College - Thursday, November 1 @ 10:00
- North Dakota State University - Monday, November 5 @ 9:30
- Bemidji State University - Tuesday, November 6 @ 8:30