WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL EDITION-August 2018
Welcome Back to School!
I would like to welcome all of our new families to Dublin, and look forward to meeting and getting to know you. This will be my seventh year as principal at Dublin Elementary, and 30th year as part of the Walled Lake School District. In those years I have been a third and fourth grade teacher, a special education teacher, a media specialist, and a principal. This will be my eleventh year as an elementary school principal. As a child, I attended Oakley Park Elementary, Clifford Smart Middle School, and graduated from Walled Lake Central High School. In my time away from school, I love to spend time with my family and friends, travel, run, garden, sing and perform, spend time on the lake, and work on my home in downtown Milford.
Thank you for sending us children well rested, prepared, and ready to learn. We look forward to working with you and your children every day at Dublin. We will continue to prepare children to be every day leaders and learners. Thank you for partnering with us to motivate, engage and hold our students accountable for success. It is going to be a great year!
Required Online Back to School Packets
Using a Parent ID and the Walled Lake Family Access system, you will need to complete all necessary forms for the online Back-to-School packet for the new school year.
Please use the directions HERE to assist with the online Back-to-School packet.
- The annual paperless Back-to-School Packet must be completed by ALL parents online, using Family Access, prior to the start of school.
- This process must also be completed in order for parents to view their child's placement for the 18-19 school year. Class placements will be available online on Skyward Family Access after 5:00 PM on Friday, August 17th.
Beginning August 1st, parents are to login to Family Access, using your alphanumeric parent account code, to complete the Back-to-School Packet.
Need Help? Computer lab schedule:
- Tuesday, August 7, 3 to 6 p.m. at Walled Lake Central High. Arabic, Japanese and Spanish translators present. (Parents must have a Family Access parent account code to receive assistance at the computer lab.)
Parents may contact Family Access to acquire a new or lost parent account code at FamilyAccess@wlcsd.org | 248-956-2190.
Upcoming Important Events
- August 15 Bus Routes posted on the Transportation Web Site and Skyward
- August 17 Class Placements Available on Skyward (5:00 PM)
- August 27 Kdg. Meet and Greet and Popsicles on the Playground (2:00-3:00 PM)
- August 27 Dublin School-Wide Meet and Greet (3:00-4:00 PM)
- August 28 First Day of School (Full Day)
- August 28 Staggered Start Day for Kindergarten
- August 31 No School for Students or Staff
- September 3 Labor Day-No School
- September 4 PTA Meeting (7:00-8:00 PM) Media Center
- September 7 Welcome Back Picnic (5:00-7:00 PM) Dublin Playground
- September 10 No School for Students or Staff (Rosh Hashanah)
- September 12 Curriculum Night Grades K-2 (6:30-8:00 PM)
- September 13 Curriculum Night Grades 3-5 (6:30-8:00 PM)
- September 14 PTA Fundraiser Kick Off Assemblies (3:00-4:00 PM)
- September 18 Half Day-Staff Professional Development
- September 19 No School for Students or Staff (Yom Kippur)
- September 20 Middle School Curriculum Nights
- September 24 Dublin Picture Day
- September 24 Community Ed. Classes Begin
- September 25 Taste of the Lakes (5:00-8:00 PM) Edgewood CC
For the Walled Lake District Calendar, please click HERE
For a Yearly List of Major Religious and Other Holidays, please click HERE
For a list of middle school delayed start dates, please click HERE
For middle school late start dates and high school PLC dates, please click HERE
Please remember that it is our top priority to develop appropriate classroom groupings that will provide all of our children with the best opportunity for academic and social success. Our staff has worked extremely hard in determining the most appropriate classroom placements for all students individually and collectively.
Please remember, you must have completed the Back to School Packet Information online before you can view your child's classroom placement. Thanks.
Dublin Meet and Greet
This year we will have a special Kindergarten Meet and Greet from 2:00-3:00 PM. Kindergarten students and their parents are invited to come in from this time to meet and greet their teachers and the PTA has also planned a Popsicles on the Playground event for our new kindergarten students, their teachers, and their parents. Please join us!
Both Meet and Greet times are a good time to bring any school supplies that you may have purchased over the summer or pick up the school supplies you may have ordered from our PTA fundraiser, so your child does not have to worry about bringing these items on the first day of school.
Please bring all printed forms for Car Rider, Shamrock Pick-Up, PTA forms, etc to the Meet and Greet. We will have special collection tables in our gym.
Parents may pick up Car Rider and Shamrock Pick Up signs at the Meet and Greet. The PTA will have information about all of their upcoming events for the year and you will have the opportunity to meet our PTA Executive Board members. We also encourage parents to sign up to be a PTA member or a volunteer for the 18-19 school year. We look forward to seeing you at the Meet and Greet!
If you ordered school supplies from our PTA School Supplies Fundraiser, these items will be available for pick up at our Meet and Greet event in the cafeteria on Monday, August 27th from 2:00-4:00 PM. Thank you for supporting our awesome PTA!
PTA Welcome Back Picnic
The PTA will have information about PTA membership, and there will be opportunities to sign up to volunteer at PTA events throughout the school year.
Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and a picnic dinner if you choose to have that evening on the playground. We look forward to an amazing event and reconnecting with families.
First Day of School/Arrival and Dismissal
Our new kindergarten students will have a staggered start on the first day. At this time we are working on the details of this, and will share this with kindergarten parents very soon.
Below is the school schedule for the 2018-19 school year:
Drop Off: 8:45 AM
School Begins: 8:55 AM (Tardy Bell)
Dismissal: 3:58 PM
Departure: 4:05 PM
Half-Day Dismissal: 12:00-12:09 PM
On the first day of school, parents may walk their child to class. After the first day of school, we respectfully ask that you allow students to walk to their classroom on their own. Our staff and safeties are available to help all students during this time every day. Thank you for your help with this.
Welcome New Kindergarten Students!
Our kindergarten teachers are eager to work with your children and are planning for this first day. Details will be shared with you very soon!
Students with last names beginning with A-L will attend in the AM. School will start at 8:55 AM and these students will be dismissed from 12:00-12:09 PM.
Students with last names beginning with M-Z will attend in the PM. School will begin for these students at 1:00 PM and students will be dismissed from 4:00-4:05 PM.
Because this is a busy first day, we request that parents bring their child to school this first day, but students may also ride the bus. Our teachers will have a special activity for parents and their students that morning and afternoon.
Kindergarten students will NOT have lunch the first day of school. They will begin a regular lunch routine at school on Wednesday, August 29th. We request that you pack a lunch with your kindergartner on the second day of school to make our lunchroom routines easier for them.
The Transportation Department will be contacting ALL kindergarten families with bus information by August 23rd, and all students will be safely transported to and from school by bus drivers.
As always, if you have any questions, please let us know. We are here to help.
Lunch and Food Service Information
The cost for a hot lunch will be $2.75 this year. The cost for a reduced lunch will be $.40. Lunch for the first day of school will be Hot Dogs, sweet potato rounds, and apple sauce. Prices of other items are written directly on the lunch menu above or on the attached document linked below.
Breakfast will be available every day at Dublin and will also begin the first day of school. The cost for breakfast will be $1.25. Breakfast is $.30 for eligible free and reduced lunch students. Breakfast for the first day of school will be cereal, string cheese, fruit, and fruit juice.
Lunch menus will always be placed on our Dublin website and published here for you.
Please click HERE for the August Elementary Lunch Menu.
Join Dublin's Fall STRIDE Team!
STRIDE is a running group, designed by the YMCA to develop and enhance boys social, emotional, and physical competencies to successfully navigate life experiences. Screened and trained adult volunteer coaches will teach the STRIDE curriculum focused on developing life skills through intentional conversation-based lessons and running games. At the end of the 10 weeks, boys will be physically and emotionally prepared to complete a 5K run.
Learn more about STRIDE by clicking HERE.
Our Dublin STRIDE Team will meet every Monday and Wednesday after school in our gym and on our playground.
The course runs from 4:00 PM-5:15 PM on these days. Students will be dismissed from their classrooms to go directly to this group.
Classes and practices will begin on September 19th and run through November 21st.
Online registration is now available. To register your son online, please click HERE.
The culminating 5k is scheduled for Sunday, November 18th at Belle Isle State Park.
At this time we have two awesome parent coaches and have only 12 openings for boys to register. We are looking for 1-2 more parent coaches to involve more boys.
If you're interested in coaching, please contact Mr. Drewno as soon as possible for information.
Voluntary School Accident Insurance
Communication is Key at Dublin!
SKYWARD FAMILY ACCESS
It is critical that parents keep an updated email address and let us know if it changes as soon as possible. Parents may update this information for us on Skyward Family Access. All teachers at Dublin utilize Skyward Family Access to communicate with parents.Report cards, lunch account information, progress reports, attendance, and other important information will always be posted on Skyward Family Access. If you are a new family to Walled Lake Schools or have misplaced or lost your Family Access ID and password, please click HERE to get connected.
DUBLIN TIMES AND SCHOOL WEB PAGE
Our Dublin Times newsletter will be sent electronically to parents. An archive of newsletters will be posted to our school website. Our school website can be found HERE. Please visit this page often for information about our school. You will find links to important documents, websites and blogs from your child's classroom, PTA forms and information, and important updates and forms that you will need to access.
Please follow us on Twitter @DublinWL to be updated regularly on important events at our school and fun pictures of student events and learning!
In an effort to have great communication from school to home, we also offer Remind 101 to all Dublin parents. How does it work? If you would like to receive a quick text message on your cell phone or device, just sign up with us and you receive a quick text to remind you of important school events, deadlines, time frames, etc. at Dublin. You can unsubscribe at any time, and we promise not to over use this communication tool either!
To receive messages via text, text @dublinp to 81010.
You can opt-out of messages at anytime by replying, 'unsubscribe @dublinp'.
Trouble using 81010? Try texting @dublinp to (248) 809-4032
Our Curriculum Nights will take place on two separate nights to discuss the curriculum at each grade level. Curriculum Night is designed for parents only. Parents may come from 6:30-8:00 PM on these nights to learn about the curriculum, program, and view materials for each grade level. All parents will meet in the cafeteria first at 6:30 PM followed by grade level and classroom presentations from 7:00-8:00 PM. Below is the schedule for Curriculum Nights for this school year:
Wednesday, September 12th (K-2)
Thursday, September 13th (3-5)
Absences and Notes to School
If your child is in the fourth or fifth grade, and a "walker" student, and would like to ride a bike to school, parents must give their permission by writing a note to the principal.
The Transportation Department will not issue bus passes for after school study, play dates etc. Bus passes will be issued for shared custody, day care, babysitting, or other emergencies. The Transportation Department will also issue year-long passes for in-district transfer and school of choice students when there is room on the bus.
If your child's transportation/dismissal for the end of the day changes in any way, please send in a note at the beginning of the day to your child's teacher or the office. If this changes during the school day, please call our secretaries BEFORE 3:00 PM. We will always make sure your child gets to the correct place at the end of the day, but we ask for your help with this by notifying us EARLY in the day or with a note. Thank you!
Peanut Free Practices, Birthdays, and Snacks
Peanut Free Classrooms
Please be aware that we have students at Dublin Elementary that may have a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and/or tree nuts. Some students may not eat, touch, or even inhale the aroma of peanuts or tree nuts without having life-threatening consequences. As a result, it is imperative that we all keep this in mind when planning for any food brought into school. This year, your child’s classroom may be designated as a nut free classroom. If your child's classroom is designated as a nut free classroom, please do not send in food items that contain peanuts, tree nuts, or nutmeg. ANY non-labeled foods (home baked items included) for class parties cannot be ingested, either. This also includes food that is manufactured in facilities that process peanuts/tree nuts. Many food items are safe for consumption, but may require a different brand if the product is manufactured in a facility that processes tree nuts. Your child's teacher will notify you if your child's classroom is a peanut free classroom, and will give you a suggested snack and party list of foods to help guide you with food choices. There are also peanut free tables designated in our cafeteria.
Parent may not send food items in for birthday treats. Other items such as pencils, erasers, stickers, a book for the class, etc. are other choices for birthdays. At the beginning of each month, Mr. Drewno will meet with all students that celebrate their birthday that month, and have a "Popsicles with the Principal" treat.
Snacks and Water
Time will be allotted in your child's classroom for a snack each day. We encourage students to eat healthy snacks-preferably fruit, vegetables or a source of protein if possible. Parents and students should read labels carefully to avoid snacks that may have been manufactured in non-nut free environment or contain products that some students may be allergic to. To help with recycling, it would be best to have a reusable water bottle for your child to use for water if needed.
As always, the health, safety and well-being of each and every child at our school is of the utmost importance to all of us. Thank you for your continued support .
Safety Practices at Dublin
- If your child needs to be picked up during the school day, he/she will only be released to a parent, custodial parent, person listed on the school emergency form or a person identified in a permission note from the parent. We will require a photo ID.
- Any legal documents containing custodial restrictions or court orders MUST be on file in our office.
- If you are visiting our school or dropping off a student, please park in our main parking and come through our new main entrance doors to our office area to sign in. All Dublin doors are locked and will not be opened by staff members or students. This includes students who are tardy to school. Do not drop off students in the parking lot if they are tardy for school. Parents must come into the office to sign tardy students in. When using the main entrance, please buzz in and the secretaries will open the door for you.
- To maintain a safe and secure learning environment, parents and visitors may not go to any classroom unless they have made prior arrangements with the classroom teacher. Parent volunteers are welcome at Dublin, but must sign in each time they volunteer in a classroom or in the building. Please remember to sign out when you are finished. Parents may not visit classrooms unexpectedly when volunteering or visiting the school. Students walk to their classrooms on their own each day and will be called down to the office if leaving early. Students will be called down to the office for any forgotten items brought in to the office.
PTA Reflections 18-19
This year's PTA Reflections theme is Heroes Around Me.
it’s a great time to start getting inspiration for our annual PTA Reflections Program projects! Start thinking about the people in your world who are heroes. Are they someone whose job is to help people? Are they someone who volunteers in the community? Are they kids helping grown-ups? Or grown-ups helping kids? Are they people helping animals? Or animals helping people?
We can’t wait to see how those heroes inspire you through the arts! Review the current standing rules at the Michigan PTA Reflections website. More information to come! Get creative!
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
- If you are dropping off your child at the beginning of the day, they must be dropped off in our Car Rider loop area in the front of the school along Farnsworth Street. Parents may drop students off by car starting at 8:45 AM each morning. Mr. Drewno and our fifth grade safeties will be there to assist students if needed.
- Parents should stay in their cars in the Car Rider line and students should exit their cars on their own on the sidewalk side. Students will enter the building and report to the gym each morning and sit by grade levels. Mr. Drewno, staff members, and safeties will be on duty each morning in this area.
- Students may not be dropped off before 8:45 AM. Parents and children should remain in their cars until the Car Rider door is opened at 8:45 AM each morning. Students may not be dropped off in the bus area at the south end of the building or in our parking lot.
- The doors at the Car Rider entry will be opened at 8:45 AM and closed and locked at 8:55 AM each morning. If students arrive after 8:55 AM they are tardy for school and will need to be checked in by an adult in our main office.
- If you will be picking up your child at the end of the day, you must use our Car Rider system or Shamrock Pick Up system. Parents picking up their child with their car must have a Car Rider sign displayed in their car every day on their visor. Parents may pick up these signs in our main office. Parents that are picking up their child by car should be in our car rider line by 3:50 PM. Parents should stay in their cars and students will be called out to you. A parent volunteer will come along to you in your car and take your name down and Mr. Hohlbein will be calling your child out to meet you. Please have your Car Rider sign on your visor and in full view for us. This makes the line go much faster! Thank you!
- For the safety of everyone and efficiency, parents may not walk up to the ar rider door to pick up their child. We want to keep as much foot traffic in one are, and car riding traffic in another. All parents that do not wish to wait in the car rider line must park in our main parking lot. Parents that park should walk up to the north entrance door to the gym to pick up their child there. This is our Shamrock Pick Up area. Parents should bring their Shamrock Pick Up Sign with them to the pick up area. Signs will be collected by a staff member. When your child arrives to the Shamrock Pick Up area, they will be given your Shamrock Pick Up Sign and students will be dismissed to their parents. Parents should wait outside on the sidewalk area for students to be dismissed. Parents and students will then walk to their parked cars.
- Thank you for helping us maintain a safe, secure and efficient arrival and dismissal at Dublin. Parents have been awesome about this and are very helpful for new parents. Thank you for helping!
Dublin Contact Information
Principal's Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
Building Secretary email@example.com