Where is Arsenic found in nature?
- not found in nature as a pure element
- found mainly as a compound
- common ores include: arsenopyrite, orpiment, realgar
Uses and characteristics
- arsenic is poisonous!
- used to make rat poison
- used to make insecticides
- gray in color
- does not melt when heated
- can also be a yellow crystalline solid if the vapors of arsenic are cooled quickly
- metalloid properties
- arsenic oxide formed when it is heated and combined with oxygen
- Discovered by German alchemist Albertus Magnus in 1250.