Greetings NC Elementary Families,
I hope this email finds your family healthy and well. It is hard to believe that 2020 is wrapping up and that we are heading into the new calendar year in just a few short weeks. As we look towards 2021 with optimism and hope, I want to extend my sincere gratitude for working together with us during this last year.
What a year 2020 has shaped up to be. I think we can all agree that being a child during a pandemic is hard, working at school during a pandemic is hard, and parenting in a pandemic is hard. Despite all of these overlapping hardships, I can confidently say that we have formed deeper collaborative relationships in the last 9 months with our school families then we have ever before. Many of us have literally 'zoomed' into one another's homes, met friendly cats, and learned how to show how much we care about one another without seeing each other's smiles. If there is any silver lining in all of this, the communication and partnerships between teachers, students, and families could certainly be it. The year hasn't always been perfect, but we have worked through it together. Thank you for sticking with us and staying positive. When we look back on this year, I hope that all of us can take a sense of pride in our collaboration and resilience.
Please continue to reach out to your child's teacher, myself, or Mrs. Ellerbusch if you need additional support. Enjoy the break and let's cross our fingers for some snow!
608-624-5201 ext 232
In Person Learning Families
- Wednesday, December 23rd is a distance instructional day. We wanted to provide as much flexibility to families as possible and therefore, that day be a non-digital learning day. Teachers will be sending home paper only activities and we will not be having zooms. In more typical years, the day before break is focused more heavily on review type activities and having fun. Staff kept that in mind when assigning work.
- We are excited to welcome more in person student after winter break. If you are newly joining us on Jan. 4th, please make sure you reach out to the bus garage if your child will be taking the bus the first day back. 608-624-3484
Driftless Virtual Families
- Your break will be the same as in person learning. You may login to Calvert if you desire, but know that teachers are on vacation and will be unavailable to respond during that time.
- With the decrease of students selecting full virtual, Mrs. Biggin will be adjusting her role into splitting between virtual (3-5) and acting as an in-person interventionist. She will still have open zoom times for support, but they will be more scheduled. Please look out for an email from Mrs. Biggin with her shifting office hours times.
- I continue to encourage you to check out the DVA section of our elementary website for links to both live lesson sessions and recordings of past lessons. Families have found it helpful for their child to watch the recorded lesson and follow along with any hands on materials.
- Our K-2 students who are currently taught with a Calvert teacher, will continue to be for the next semester. We are excited to be adding in a North Crawford Zoom each week on Friday with Mrs. Eby. It will be held each Friday from 12:00-12:45. She will focus on connecting with the group of k-2 students, doing some Social Emotional Learning, and having fun! K-2 families, be on the lookout for an email with the zoom link from Mrs. Eby on Jan 6th or 7th.
- While many students who opted to shift to inperson are rejoining right after break, your family has until Jan. 18th to make a final decision about second semester. Please reach out to Mrs. Killeen with any questions!
Dec. 23rd: Non - Digital Learning Day
Dec. 24th - Jan. 1st: Winter Break
Jan. 4th: Welcome Back from Break!
Polar Express Fun with Mrs. Sesiser's class!
Gingerbread Fun in 1st Grade!
If your house is anything like mine, limited activities have resulted in way more Disney+. Here are some ideas on screen free activities for children.
100 fun ideas to get kids outside this winter. Even has a PDF printable to hang on the fridge!