By: Katherine Diaz
- Avoiding high doses of radiation
- Exposure to the chemical benzene
- Smoking and types of tobacco
- Specific types of chemotherapy used to treat other types of cancer
- Also eating healthy may help too
Induction therapy kills leukemia cells in the blood and bone marrow.
Consolidation therapy will kill any leukemia cells that are there but do not show up on tests.
Maintenance therapy will prevent any new leukemia cells from growing.
Anyone who has leukemia has to be healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Frequency in population
In 2011, there was an estimate of about 302,800 people dealing with Leukemia in the United States.
Leukemia occurs more in men than in women and it happens more to the white people than other races.