Some basic facts about the Nordic country of Sweden
City of Stockholm
- Boxing Day is a day of giving, and there are a few things that you should do. First, you should so something for others such as attending a charitable event. Also, you should partake in some outdoor recreation if the weather is permitting. You can also bring your friends and family together, look for traditional celebrations, and shop for good deals.
- On National Sweden Day you should honor the flag, and most Swedes fly a flag in their yard.
Swedish Teen Celebrates the Paris Attacks (Published on Dec 21st)
This is important because some Swedes have joined ISIS, as well as the immigrant crisis caused by ISIS.
2. She won't be extradited to Sweden, but instead tried in Austria.
This is important because preparing for a trip to join the jihad is not a criminal offense in Sweden, but it is in Austria.
3. Some Swedish citizens who wish to join ISIS look up to them like pop stars.
This is important because many of the areas immigrants end up is influencing people to join ISIS.
On December 8th a 17 year old Swedish girl was arrested in Austria on suspicion of trying to join ISIS. She idolized the Paris attacks and had propaganda and ways to support ISIS on a cell phone in her room. Sweden has not requested that she be extradited back to Sweden. She is currently in jail in Austria awaiting trial.
Check Travelers' IDs or be fined! (Published on Dec 20th)
This is important because of the recent terror attacks and Sweden's large amount of asylum seekers.
2. The checks are for any form of transportation from other countries.
This is important because many people fleeing Syria go through many countries to get to Sweden, or go through Sweden to go to other countries.
3. There is a nationwide low in the amount of asylum seekers since last week.
This is important because Sweden has been struggling to accommodate all of the people that swarmed into Sweden.
Since December 20th the Swedish government has told all public transport companies that they must check all IDs of travelers, under threat of fines if the order is not met. This is due to the refugee crisis, but the country has seen a major dip in the request for asylum in the recent weeks.
Is this ad for a diverse mall too white? (Published on Dec 21st)
This is important because the country has 80% of its population as an ethnic minority.
2. Many citizens of the country are not full-blooded Swedes.
This is important because the ad seems to only include white Swedes.
3. The makers of the ad are apologetic that the ad was taken as offensive.
This is important because it shows that they did not mean for it to be offensive.