March 9, 2018
Important Dates to Remember
- 12 - Hearing & Vision Screening
- 12 - School Safety Discussion (PARENTS ONLY), 7:00 p.m.
- 16 - Class/Individual Pictures
- 16 - Howard County Library Spelling Bee, 7:00 p.m.
- 16 - PTA's Annual Bingo, 6:30 p.m. at St. Michael's Church (doors open at 5:00 p.m.)
- 21 - 2nd Grade Visits the Historical Society, 9:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- 22 - Hearing & Vision Re-screening
- 29 - Kindergarten Visits Toby's, 9:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- 30 - Good Friday, schools & offices closed
- 2 - Spring Break, schools & offices closed
- 3 - Spring Break, schools & offices closed
- 13 - End of Marking Period, schools close 3 hours early (12:10 p.m.)
- 13 - Crazy Hair Day
- 13 - Howard County Battle of the Books, 7:00 p.m.
- 19 - 5th Grade Visits the National Archives in D.C., 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- 20 - 4th Grade Visits Annapolis, 8:45 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
- 23 - Report Cards Issued
- 27 - 1st Grade Visits Rose Hill Manor, 9:15 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
From the Administration
Last Tuesday evening, Dr. Martirano held a community forum on school safety and mental health. His message reaffirmed the necessity for our school security measures to be followed without exception. We encourage you to look online to see the discussions amongst our community members, central office staff, and community officials regarding these topics. You can also reference resources by visiting: http://www.hcpss.org/about-us/safe-schools/
We want to remind you of the procedures we follow when visitors come to Lisbon Elementary:
1. The front door is the ONLY entrance point for all visitors.
2. Please ring the doorbell and look into the camera.
3. Be prepared to state your name, your child’s name, your child’s teacher and your purpose for visiting.
4. All visitors must walk directly into the front office with a valid photo ID and sign in on Lobbyguard.
5. A visitor’s sticker will be given to visitor’s following the above procedures.
6. Any visitor in Lisbon Elementary without a visitor sticker will be escorted directly to the front office by a staff member.
Please feel free to contact Lisbon Elementary should you have any questions. In consideration of our staff and students, we thank you for following these procedures for the safety of our entire school community.
School Safety Discussion - PARENTS ONLY
Congratulations to fifth grader, Ben Caldwell
Attention Parents/Guardians of Third Graders
On Friday, March 9, CogAT results as well as 4th Grade G/T Mathematics eligibility letters will be mailed to homes via US mail. These letters contain time sensitive information, so please be sure to read them upon receipt. If you do not receive an envelope by the end of next week, please contact Jodi O'Connor, G/T Resource Teacher at Jodi_OConnor@hcpss.org.
Hearing & Vision Screening
HEARING & VISION SCREENING
Monday, March 12th, 2018
The Howard County Health Department will be at Lisbon next Monday morning, March 12th to do hearing & vision screenings. Kindergarten & 1st grade students will be screened as well as any 2nd – 5th grade students who are new to the state of Maryland this school year. If your child wears eyeglasses, please make sure they have them for the screening. The re-screen date is scheduled for 03/22/18. Please contact the health room directly at 410-313-5506 for any questions. Thank you!
Please join us at Chipotle in Mt. Airy to help raise fund for our PBIS program. Please come between 5:00-9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 13th and present your flier (fliers were sent home earlier this week) to the cashier so funds can be raised directly for Lisbon Elementary. You may dine in or out but purchases do not count when placed online. So please join us!!
Instructional Seminar with Mr. Nath
KIDS CODE Grade 2 Instructional Seminar with Mr. Nath is currently in the process of enrolling students. If your 2nd Grader is interested in signing up, they can get a permission slip from the envelope in their POD area. Signed slips can be returned by Wednesday, March 14!
Interested parents and community members are invited to attend...
The Howard County Gifted and Talented
Education Program Parent Academy
From Philosophy to Logic:
Resources to Support Curiosity, Creativity, and Analytical Reasoning in Young Children
Talented and Gifted Program Specialist
Prince George's County Schools
Join us to learn about multiple resources and strategies that parents can use to help nurture their child's creativity and reasoning skills.
Wednesday, March 21st at 7:00 p.m.
Wilde Lake Middle School Cafeteria
10481 Cross Fox Lane
Columbia, MD 21044
G/T Summer Institutes
Registration for the G/T Summer Institutes for Talent Development is now open. These courses are a great opportunity for students to participate in summer enrichment taught by fabulous teachers. The Institute is offered at Wilde Lake Middle School this year. The catalog and registration form are available at http://www.hcpss.org/f/summer/summer-school-gt.pdf.
Girls on the Run
Attention 3rd-5th grade girls!!! 13 spots left!!!
Girls on the Run (GOTR) is a life-changing program designed to inspire girls to recognize their inner strength and celebrate what makes them one of a kind! Over the course of this 10-week program, participants develop essential skills to help them navigate their worlds. Each lesson will focus on themes that girls can relate to such as making and being friends, recognizing and managing emotions, and working as a team. Our trained coaches use running to inspire and motivate, encourage lifelong health and fitness, and build confidence through accomplishment. As part of the program, the team will create and execute a local community service project to show them that they have the power and potential to mak a difference in their community and society. Important social, psychological, and physical skill and abilities are developed and reinforced throughout the program. Each season concludes with the girls and their running buddies completing a 5K run, which provides a tangible sense of achievement as well as a framework for setting and achieving life goals. The season will begin the week March 20th, with the celebratory 5K scheduled for June 2nd in Columbia, MD. Program registration fee is $175 and includes 5K registration, water bottle, t-shirt, and all program materials. Financial assistance is available. Visit www.gotrcentralmd.org to register!!! Questions? Would you like to help as a parent volunteer or assistant coach? We'd love to have you! Call or text 443-690-5785.
Glenwood Middle School's 50th Anniversary Brick Sale
Upcoming School Spirit Days
Below, you will find information about school spirit days through January.
Community News and Programs
The link below will take you to community notices are neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Howard County Public School System.