Battle of Ghettysburg
All about this bloody battle of The Civil War
When did Ghettysburg occur? What was its significance?
- Date: July 1st 2nd & 3rd, 1863
- It was the turning point of the war
- President Lincoln used this battle to show the cost of the war.
- The battle was HUGE!
- The total of Union troops was about 95,000, the Confederates about 75,000.
- The town of Ghettysbug wasn't actually that big, at the time the town held 2,400 residents
"5 Reasons the Battle of Gettysburg Mattered." About. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Dec. 2014.
Quick Facts of Ghettysburg
- This Battle was the turning point of the war.
- Union Victory
- General Lee's first attempt to invade the North
- The second day's Battle was the largest and costliest of the three days
- Picketts charge was large but not the biggest charge of the Civil War
- Council on Foreign Relations. Council on Foreign Relations, n.d. Web. 03 Dec. 2014
Ulysses S. Grant
Robert E. Lee
Ulysses S. Grant
- Grant was a commanding general during The Civil War
- Also, the18th President of the United States.
- In 1865,led the Union Armies to victory over the Confederacy in the Civil War
- "Ulysses S. Grant." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 12 Mar. 2014. Web. 04 Dec. 2014.
- Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States, his term was during the Civil War
- He was Assasinated April 15, 1865
- "Abraham Lincoln." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 12 Feb. 2014. Web. 02 Dec. 2014.
^ Cyclorama Located in Gettyburg Pensylvannia ^
The French Artist Paul Phillippoteaux created 4 of these original paintings, and only 2 remain.
The painting describes the battle called Pickett's Charge, which occured July 3rd, 1863.
"Gettysburg Cyclorama." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 30 Nov. 2014. Web. 04 Dec. 2014