From the Principal's Desk
ISOK Middle School ~ 9/13/2020
Good afternoon ISOK Middle School! Please see the message below from Kevin P. Chavous, President of Academics, Policy, and Schools
Welcome to the start of a new school year!
As a parent, I know one of the most important decisions you will ever make is choosing a school for your child. At K12, we don’t take this decision lightly.
We realize the first few days of the new school year have not had an ideal start, and we greatly appreciate your responses and feedback. However, I want you to know that now more than ever, the dedicated teachers and staff at every K12-powered school are committed to providing a high-quality, engaging, and personalized academic experience.
As you can imagine, we are seeing unprecedented interest in our online programs and services from families and school districts across the country. Based on this increased demand, teams have been hard at work strengthening operations to better serve each student’s learning needs. Onboarding processes for both students and staff are ongoing. As such, we’re experiencing some intermittent technical issues, which we are working to resolve as quickly as possible.
During this process, we are asking for your patience with possible delays in logging into your online classes and potential issues accessing your courses in the online school. Students may experience these events sporadically through Monday, September 14, as we are currently in high volume start of school weeks. To minimize impacts to students, our internal teams are working around the clock, in close coordination with our strategic partners, to strengthen our systems, infrastructure, and technological resources for all K12-powered schools.
For the start of school, and throughout the year, I encourage you to keep open communication with your students’ teachers. If you’re unable to access the online school, log into your school email account at portal.office.com. Note that your username and log-in information are the same as your online school username and login.
Please keep in mind that your amazing teachers are also providing additional resources to ensure students are getting the support they need. These include but are not limited to: conducting live sessions on complementary online platforms, sharing pre-recorded instructional videos and creative hands-on learning ideas with students, holding additional office hours to provide one-on-one support, and extending due dates for assignments and projects.
In the days ahead, please continue to check the K12 Help Page for updates at: https://www.help.k12.com/s/article/Service-Disruption. All updates will be added to this link as they are made available.
Each and every day, K12-powered faculty and staff focus on delivering a rigorous, dynamic, and inspiring learning program for students. This year, that includes:
· Enhanced class sessions with new technology that includes the integration of NewRow, a built-for-education video-based virtual teaching tool, and ClassLink LaunchPad—an award-winning platform that gives students single sign-on access to the entire K12 library of apps, links, and school resources from one location and on any device.
· An expanded version of K12’s English/language arts and math curriculum that’s providing students with more engaging, interactive lessons
· Through a partnership with Newsela, students in grades 6-10 will have access to hundreds of informational texts at five different reading levels. This program uses an adaptive algorithm to quickly determine and adjust students’ reading levels and match them with appropriate reading resources.
Please know, that by choosing a K12-powered school, you’re choosing a world-class education services provider with more than two decades of experience. You’re choosing an expert in interactive online curriculum, assessment tools, and teacher training. And you’re choosing a leader in technological innovation and researched-based learning platforms.
Each of these priorities highlight K12’s commitment to keeping students learning, regardless of the classroom setting.
This week and throughout the year, we welcome the opportunity to hear from you. Whether you have challenges, suggestions, or positive feedback—it all matters. Please send them to WhatsOnYourMind@k12.com.
We couldn’t be more excited about the start of a new school year, and we appreciate your patience and support as we continue to serve the growing online learning community.
Kevin P. Chavous
President of Academics, Policy, and Schools
Required Beginning of Year Assessments in Star 360
All students will take Star360 assessments this year for math and reading. These will be taken in August (or immediately upon enrollment), December, and May. A These assessments are required and help our teachers target instruction to meet students’ needs and ensure growth. It is important that students complete these assessments on their own, without assistance from learning coaches or other sources.
Your teachers will also send out information to complete Star360 assessments, but students may begin now to complete them. They must be completed ASAP.
· Log in website: https://global-zone08.renaissance-go.com/welcomeportal/7139830
• Username: Your Student ID (ex: 123456)
• Password: Your first name in lowercase and last 3 numbers of your Student ID (ex: phillip456)
• Everyone will take a Star Reading test and a Star Math test (do not take Early Literacy).
• Honest efforts rewarded – Do your best (how much time you take on it is monitored), complete it, and receive points upon completion.
If you get kicked out and it asks for a Monitor Password, that password is: admin
Having trouble logging in, working your computer or accessing important information? Reach out to your teachers for help on login information. If you have technical issues for your laptop, please call the Tech Help Desk at 866.512.2273
ISOK Middle School has the BEST team of teachers in the state of Oklahoma! They are excited to get to know you and to teach you about the subjects they love the most. In each From the Principal's Desk newsletter, I am going to spotlight one of our Amazing Teachers!
The spotlight for this week is Ms. Magen Briley. Ms. Briley teaches 7th and 8th grade English/Language Arts
The Insight School of Oklahoma does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access educational programs and activities. As required by Title IX, the Insight School of Oklahoma does not discriminate on the basis of gender, in its educational programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the Title IX non-discrimination matters:
- Angie Foust, Title IX Coordinator, email@example.com, (405) 835-2133 ext 2069, 1156 S Douglas, Midwest City, OK 73130
- Additionally, you may contact the Office of Civil Rights by calling 1-800-421-3481.