Oceanside High School Weekly Update
The Pirate Way
The other day I was asked what is new and what is happening on campus. I believe this was meant to be a quick question from someone in passing, but it ended up being a much longer response! After I responded to the question, it made me really stop and reflect on all of the amazing things we have going on at OHS. I am so proud of Oceanside High School. Our staff, students, caregivers and community make sure that OHS continues to be the flagship school for Oceanside. I am also honored that we don't stop there. At OHS we are constantly looking for ways to improve our school and the experience we provide our students. I want to extend a huge thank you to all who continue to make sure that the Pirate Pride and traditions continue and that we never stop making OHS better than the day before.
We have quite a few events in the near future. Make sure to mark these important dates on your calendars.
- October 7: OHS Alumni
- Alumni will be in specific classrooms speaking to our students.
- Makeup senior portraits will be taking place on campus.
- October 8: OHS Hall of Fame
- October 11: OUSD Celebrated for Being a Safe and Supportive District
- October 11: OUSD Board of Education Meeting
- October 12: Pirate Achievement Day
- This is the PSAT day we normally have where students grades 9-11 would be testing the first half of the day and then have lunch, Period 5, and Period 6. This year we have activities for our freshmen regarding the 4 year plan, college and career exploration, and a few other items. Sophomores will all be taking the ASVAB test. Juniors will still be taking the PSAT. Lastly, seniors will be working on CARPE items including their FAFSA.
- October 13: Girard Prep Celebration
- October 21: Homecoming Assemblies
- Assemblies will be a 4th period split assembly.
- October 22: Homecoming Dance
- October 24: Senior Year Event Assembly
- October 27: Spooktacular/Fall Concert
- October 28: Rivalry Game All School Pep Rally
- Modified bell schedule with one assembly in the stadium.
Please remember that it is all of us together that make OHS what it is for all of our students. We welcome you to be an active participant in the activities and happenings on campus. If you have any suggestions please do not hesitate to reach out to any OHS staff member! We are a team working toward a common goal. Only when we all work together can we truly transform and increase the success of all of our OHS students!
Pirates you are a part of something big! You belong and will always belong in the Oceanside High School Pirate Community. What an amazing feeling to realize you belong to something bigger than the individual Pirate, but rather part of a 100 year plus Pirate Ship Community!
Regardless of where you may go and no matter what you end up accomplishing the one thing that you have to count on is that you will ALWAYS be a PIRATE!
Stay safe! Know you are loved and belong to the Pirate community - this is the Pirate Way!
CHECK OUT THE OHS ROBOTICS CLUB!
SENIORS: IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- Next week we are asking students to register for their FSA ID if they have a SS# or begin the CADAA if they do not have an SS#. It is now a California graduation requirement to apply for one of these financial aid applications, so it is important that students bring their SS# to school on the day of their Senior Audit.
- October 24th we will have an assembly for you regarding ALL senior activities and needs.
If you would like to submit a personal senior picture, here is the information.
- Deadline is Oct. 28.
- The photo must be wallet size (2.5 inches by 3.5 inches)
- The photo must be in jpeg format on a thumb drive.
- It must be submitted to the office or Room 052 in an envelope with the student's name in the top right-hand corner.
- Photos sent to the yearbook advisor through email will not be accepted.
GEAR UP Activities, Programs, Events and Services
Attention Class of 2024 and 2025 families, the GEAR UP Program is here to support you with a variety of activities, Programs, Events and Services (A.P.E.S.). For more information regarding our current and future programs visit our GEAR UP office (K-29) or our GEAR UP LinkTree
GEAR UP Family University Workshop Series GEAR UP families mark your calendars and save the date for all our GEAR UP Family workshops: Flyers. All the workshops are virtual and designed for you to continue supporting your child's college plans. We will cover topics such as Understanding college entrance criteria, Financial Planning, and more.
- Weekly on Thursdays
- English: 5pm
- Spanish: 6:15pm
Let's build your resume with fun activities. How?
Sign-up for one or all 3 of the following:
Sneaker Essential- After completing the session you will receive a certificate from Complex and Fashion Institute of Technology.
Music Production: After completing the session you will receive a certificate from 1500 SOUND ACADEMY.
YouTuber- Content Creation for Career Development: After completing the session you will receive a certificate of completion from TikTok.
Dates, Information Videos, and Sign-up HERE.
NEED TUTORING? WANT TO JOIN A CLUB?
PIRATE SPORTS UPDATE
Senior Darcy Jacobson took the most advantage, shaving 31 seconds off her time from last year completing the course in 20:21. Senior Elizabeth Danielson (21:27) and freshmen Malia Guillen (21:27) and Val Bergerson (22:04) all earned medals in their respective grade-level races.
For the boys, freshman Oliver Danielson (18:57) and sophomore Alexis Torres (17:47) were medalists in their races.
Traveling to the La Costa Resort on Monday, followed by a trip to the Shadowridge Country Club on Tuesday were pleasant road trips for the Pirates, who notched a pair of Avocado League victories.
On Monday, the Pirates took on the challenging Champions Course and La Costa Canyon and came away with a convincing 262-296 win. Lia Nance shot a team-low 42, while Kassidy Stevens (50) and Danyele Bertino (53) were the other low scorers for OHS.
OHS made it 2-for-2 on the road Tuesday, punishing Rancho Buena Vista and the Shadowridge course, 243-311. Stevens earned medalist honors with a 43, narrowing edging Nance (44) and Bertino (47)
With the victories, Oceanside improves to 5-1 in league and 10-2 overall.
Do you know you are a member of over 100 years of tradition? Join the OHS Foundation
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17th @ 6:00 pm FIRST OHS FOUNDATION MEETING OF THE YEAR
OHS Athletic Booster Club
YES! I am interested in being part of the Pirate Sports Success!
OHS Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO)
A great way to support OHS is to join or renew your membership in the OHS PTSO. We are a volunteer-run organization that supports the entire OHS community through fundraising, volunteering and communication. We support parents, students, faculty and staff, and all families and staff are welcome to join. Your donations and the funds we raise go toward staff appreciation events, teacher & club grants, AP test scholarships, student events & recognition (e.g., senior signs) and more.
Please renew your membership here: OHS PTSO Form 2022-23.
And here is a direct link to our donation page: PTSO Donation Page (Paypal or CC). You can also contribute via venmo (@ohsptso-treasurer
We typically meet monthly on the first Wednesday of the month at 6pm. Stay connected with us by joining our Facebook group @Oceanside High School PTSO Parents for Pirates or following us on Instagram @piratesptso. We also encourage you to choose Oceanside High School PTSO as your designated charity in your AmazonSmile account. https://smile.amazon.com/ch/77-0684642
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.