Tonasket School District
Weekly Update ~ 2/1/2019
"Focused on Learning and Linking Learning to Life"
One Purpose - Student Success
SCHOOL DISTRICT GOALS:
Capital Projects Update
- At the school board meeting on Wednesday night, Cory Plager and Jon Gores from D.A. Davidson provided school election data along with capital project financing options for the board to consider. I shared that in speaking with our ESCO last week, an energy audit indicated that the new safety and security entryways and elementary roof could be an energy efficiency measure. This could expand our opportunities for grants to support these projects.
Parent and Community Engagement
- The first Tonasket Family Leadership Institute class took place this past Monday. There were 12 families that attended. It’s not too late to start. They are meeting at the MS at 5:15 every Monday. Classes are taught in Spanish and English. Dinner and childcare are provided. If you are interested please register with Brian Ellis @ 509-486-2161 or Martha Wisdom @ 509-486-4933.
Creative and Innovative
- Tyler Graves, Michele Fancher and Cari Haug were selected to present their collaborative work at the WABE 2019 Conference to be held April 25-27 in Bellevue. Cari Haug commented:
“I was asked by our NCESD science coordinator to submit a presentation proposal late last year. We will be presenting on the efforts we have made to offer our students consistent instruction across contents in reading, vocabulary, and writing. The theme for the conference this year is STEAMing Ahead. It is focusing on increasing access to STEM careers. We will likely highlight the STEM Challenges that Emily and I do at the Family Nights as well.”
- At Wednesday’s board meeting, the board accepted Bob Ashmore’s resignation as K-8 Outreach Teacher effective at the end of this school year. The board also approved hiring Derek Williams as head girls wrestling coach.
- With the ADA grant we received, the district will install automatic door openers in the buildings. The work was planned to be completed over Christmas break but unfortunately, there was a delay in getting the site analysis completed. We are anticipating the automatic doors will be installed by the end of February.