Sound of Sun Prairie Newsletter
COVID-19 Update (March 13, 2020)
We Are On Tomorrow (Saturday, March 14)!
I'm sure you are being bombarded with information about closings and cancellations. Our number one priority is to keep everyone safe and to prepare, as best we can, for the future. Here is an update regarding Sound and our plans moving forward:
- We WILL have rehearsal tomorrow (Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm at SPHS). After consulting with many people, we are safe to rehearse tomorrow. I don't expect this to change in the next few hours, but if it does I'll alert you (see the information below about the "Remind" app).
- Our scheduled rehearsal for Saturday, March 21st will be canceled due to the school closure. At this point, we should be able to resume by the following rehearsal scheduled for April 5.
- With school closing from March 18 to April 3, it will be important for Sound members to bring their instruments/equipment home to practice. In an effort to help with this, I sent out Google Classroom invitations this evening. Inside, students will find recordings and our music. We will continue to update this with helpful videos, memorization assignments, and other tasks to keep us moving forward. Sound members should check for updates often.
Just as the African Proverb says, "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." I'm confident that the adversity of this situation will make us better. The SOSP staff will work hard to navigate these uncharted waters safely.
Join Our Remind App!
Just click the appropriate link below to be added to our Remind account. This will allow you to receive text messages from SOSP alerting you to important updates, urgent news, or arrival times, etc.
Sound Parents and Guardians = https://www.remind.com/join/79e7dc2
Sound Band Members = https://www.remind.com/join/g6bh78k
Saturday, March 14 - SOSP Second Rehearsal 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM at SPHS
Wednesday, March 18 - Butterbraid Forms Due (Turn in Tuesday)
Friday, March 20 - Scholarship Forms Due
Saturday, March 21 - REHEARSAL CANCELED
Sunday, April 5 - SOSP Rehearsal (Tentative)
Thursday, April 23 - SOSP Performance at SPHS West Groundbreaking 3:30-6 pm??
Possible Performance at the Sun Prairie West High School Groundbreaking (Tentatively Still On)
The groundbreaking for Sun Prairie West High School will take place on April 23 from 5:00-5:30 PM. We are considering having Sound perform from 4:45-5:00 pm at this event. We would most likely perform "On WI, National Anthem, Buttercup, I Want You Back, and AMC."
The schedule would look something like this:
3:30 pm Rehearsal at SPHS
4:00 pm Load Chuck Wagon & Bus
4:15 pm Depart
4:30 pm Arrive & Prepare
4:45-5:30 pm Event
5:50 pm Back to SPHS and unload
6:00 pm Done
Please ask your child to fill out the participation survey that was sent to them via email today (Tuesday). We will a majority of the students to make this happen. Once we get enough information we will make a decision and let everyone know. This would be a GREAT event to be a part of!
Drum Majors Announced
Staff Spotlight: Matthew Endres (Drumline)
Born in Sauk City, Wisconsin, Matthew Endres is the adjunct professor of drum set and jazz history at the University of Wisconsin. In addition, he adjudicates music festivals and competitions extensively throughout the United States. He received his bachelor of music degree in drum set at the University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point, his master’s degree in jazz studies from the University of Illinois, and is ABD in his doctoral degree in jazz studies and ethnomusicology at the University of Illinois.
Endres has performed extensively as a bandleader and a sideman in national and international venues. He is the drummer for the international award-winning group Old Style Sextet, which in 2014 placed second in the world-renowned Cotai Jazz and Blues Competition in Macau, China. He has appeared on multiple albums, including It’s About Time (2013) with the Adrian Barnett Septet; the Old Style Sextet self-titled album issued by Blujazz (2014); Chris Beyt’s 120 (2015); The Clark Gibson Studio Orchestra’s record Bird with Strings: The Lost Arrangements, issued by Blujazz (2015); The Chris Beyt Trio’s A Trio For Three, issued by Ears&Eyes Records (2020); and The University of Illinois Concert Jazz Band’s record The Music of Pepper Adams (2020). Endres also currently holds an endorsement with Bopworks Drumsticks, based in Austin, Texas.
Endres was a top three finalist for the nationally renowned premier big bands The Jazz Ambassadors and the Army Blues, two of the top big bands in the country. He has worked with talented artists, including, Grammy-award winner Doc Severinson, Rufus Reid, Brad Leali, Chris Brubeck, Charles McPherson, Jim Masters, Sharel Cassity, Marquis Hill, Robert Irving III, Frank Gambale, Tom Garling, Víctor García, Michael Blum, Shawn Purcell, Darden Purcell, Oliver Nelson Jr, Jim Pugh, Dave Pietro, Grammy-award winner Charles “Chip” McNeill, Ron Bridgewater, Dave D’Angelo, Carlos Vega, Larry Gray, Jeff Halsey, Glenn Wilson, Richard Drexler, Mark Colby, Alex Graham, Clark Gibson, Tito Carrillo, John “Chip” Stephens, Joan Hickey, and Adrian Barnett.
Our Second Rehearsal is this Saturday! A Few Reminders....
- Rehearsal is at Sun Prairie High School from 9 am -1 pm.
- To be early is to be on time.
- Be in the band room well before 9 to find your seat, set up your instrument, and get ready to start.
- Wear athletic clothing and shoes for all rehearsals.
- Have a backpack that you can keep all things "Sound" in.
- Bring a pencil, small binder and plastic sheets. Talk to a friend or two about sharing a package of sheets. You'll probably need 20 sheets at the most.
- Bring a water bottle with you to all rehearsals.
- CHUMS students, remember to bring your instrument, mouthpiece, neck strap, etc. home on Friday and back to school on Monday. Use your google calendar to help you remember this!
- Put your name on everything!
Butter Braid Fundraiser!
Start Selling Date: Feb 24, 2020
Forms & Money can be dropped off to the teachers (Mr. Melrose @ CHUMS, Mr. Rush @ SPHS)
Delivery Date: April 2nd, 2020, 2:45 pm @ SPHS
- Money should be collected at time of sale, checks payable to SPBB.
- Orders should be turned in to Mr. Melrose or Mr. Rush.
- Pick up and delivery is Tuesday, April 2nd, right after school, in the high school music area (men's dressing room). The product is frozen so you need to deliver right away or freeze it until you deliver.
- Questions can be addressed by Lindsey Hess 358-3858. Thanks to Lindsey for organizing this!
- Funds raised can go toward private lessons, Sound, summer band and jazz camps. Students will earn $5.50 per braid.
Scholarship Forms Due Soon (March 20)!!
The Bernie Powers Band Foundation is sponsoring a scholarship that can help defray the cost of Sound!
Marcia Berman Marching Band/Percussion Scholarship: $200
For students in grades 8-12 to participate in The Sound of Sun Prairie or to assist with percussion lessons or summer camp.
For more information, please contact your band director or visit our website at www.bpbf.org
Applications for all scholarships will be online January 6, 2020.
All applications are due Friday March 20, 2020
Going To Miss A Rehearsal?
What To Do If You Haven't Completed The Registration Process?
- If you haven't turned in your registration materials and first donation yet, give them to Mrs. Sederquist on Saturday.
- Make sure your parent/guardian gets the blue form notarized early this week
- You will also need to have your physical form, copies of your health and dental insurance and your medication forms completed.
- Donations should be in an envelope with your name, student ID and the first donation slip (in your packet) included.
- If you have a physical form at the athletic office, please go to the athletic office this week and ask for a copy. Bring it to rehearsal on Saturday and give to Mrs. Sederquist.
- If you need the forms see Mr. Melrose at CHUMS or look in the wood sorter on the front wall of the high school band room.