The Friday Flyer
Boone Meadow Elementary
Scientists explore the structures of seedlings that help it grow and survive using hydroponics!
Readers share their note worthy thoughts and use the text to explain their thinking.
Readers read over and over again to strengthen their reading life and understandings.
STEM Project Reminder
We are excited to see what comes to school on Monday when families send in their STEM Family Projects! We've heard of some creative creations that are heading our way!
Here are a few important details:
STEM Family Activities Due Monday, September 10
- Create something useful from materials found in nature.
- Actual creation or photo/poster of item can come to school for display.
- Label with Student(s) and Teacher(s) names and grade level(s).
- Students take their project to the classroom, and teachers will direct to stage area for an all school display/museum of projects.
Participation is optional.
Student Conferences - Oct. 3rd and 4th
Sharing information about student progress is an important focus area for us, especially for our youngest learners. This focus has led to improved calibration of the annual parent-teacher-student conferences held in the fall of each school year. In the past, variances in scheduling of conferences led to safety issues and to very early dates for some conferences. This diminished the effectiveness of these important discussions about student progress.
- The conference days (elementary schools only) will occur on the afternoon of October 3rd (2:30-3:30PM) and on October 4th from 11:10AM to 7:00PM.
- If teachers have not yet reached out to you to schedule a day/time for a student conference, they will be doing so in the upcoming week.
- In exactly the same way we use e-days in the event of snow or other school cancellation make-up days, we will place one elementary e-day on Thursday, October 4th.
- Assignments posted (on our learning management system CANVAS) will be released early on October 3rd and will be due by the end of the school day on Monday, October 8. This time delay in turning in the assignments accommodates those who have difficulty with home access to the online content (just as we do with e-days for snow or other school cancellation make-ups).
Jog-a-Thon Kicks Off Today!
Check your child's folder for information about this important day at Boone Meadow.
Jog-a-Thon will take place on Wednesday, September 26th. The money raised helps PTO to purchase electronic devices, outdoor equipment, provide teacher grants for classroom projects and experiences, fund activities such as our talent show, carnival, and numerous other experiences.
Volunteer opportunities are available!
Shade Structure Dedication on Oct. 10th
On October 10th, we will celebrate this partnership with a dedication of the structure during our monthly PTO meeting at 6:00 PM. More info to come regarding the dedication.
Upcoming Events & Important Info
September 12 - PTO Meeting 6:00pm
September 18 - 1st & 3rd Grade Vision Screening
September 26 - Jog-A-Thon
October 3rd (afternoon) & 4th (afternoon/evening) - Student Conferences/E-Day
October 9th - Fire Safety Talk/Truck - 1st Grade, Picture Re-Take Day
October 10th - Fire Safety Talk/Truck PK and Kdg; PTO Meeting 6:00pm w/ Dedication of Shade Structure with American Association of Dermatology
October 11th - Fire Safety Talk/Truck - 2nd Grade
October 15th-19th - Fall Break
Apple Week in Pre-School
The School Directory App is Updated with current family information!
Our Student directory is now complete! Many thanks to the PTO for organizing this helpful resource! To access the directory follow these steps:
- Go to www.directoryspot.net or download the “Directory Spot” app on a smart phone.
- Enter your email address as your Username, and click on “Reset Password”. An email will be sent to you with a link to set your password.
- Click on the link in the email to set your password and to log in.
If you have trouble logging in, please contact PTO volunteer Eileen Adam at email@example.com.
Texts from SchoolMessenger
From time to time Boone Meadow uses SchoolMessenger to send a text to all of the families. If you haven't been receiving texts from us, you may need to opt-in by sending YES to the SchoolMessenger short code of 68453. Contact Beth Kiel in the front office if you have any questions!
Volunteers and Visitor Background Checks
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
- Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
- Library Helpers
- After Prom Workers
- Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
- Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
- Lunch Guests
- Classroom Guest Speakers
- Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.