CUSTER SCHOOL DISTRICT TIDBITS
Week Ending March 11, 2023
Daylight Savings Starts on Sunday, March 12, 2023
Save the Date ~ Important Reminders
- THURSDAY, March 16 - Board Meeting @ Custer
- Fri., Mar 31 - scheduled snow make-up day
- Thurs. - April 6 - No School - Staff Inservice Day
- Mon., April 10 - No School - Spring Break
- Tues., April 11 - Board Meeting @ Hermosa
- Fri., April 28 - scheduled snow make-up day - if needed. **If the date is not used for a snow make-up day, it will be a staff professional development day.
- Sat., May 20 - Graduation @ 2 pm
- Thurs., May 25 - students released from school at noon - last day of school
NOTICE OF VACANCY ON SCHOOL BOARD
CUSTER SCHOOL DISTRICT 16-1
Three positions on the Custer School District Board of Education will become vacant due to the expiration of the present terms of office of the following school board members:
- Larry Baker's chair Three (3) year term
- Travis Hartshorn’s chair Three (3) year term
- Sara Barrick’s chair Three (3) year term
Circulation of nominating petitions may begin on March 1, 2023, & end on March 28, 2023. Petitions may be filed in the office of the business manager located at 527 Montgomery Street, Custer, SD, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Fridays.
CSD School Board Meeting Dates for 2022-23
Board Agenda / Minutes
Free, online tutoring available for K-12 students
Jr/Sr HS Announcements
- The Custer Arts Council is again sponsoring a Midwest Arts Performer to visit our school. This Wednesday, March 15 at 1:00 pm, Okra Playground will be here to perform for the JH/HS students. The assembly should last about 45 minutes. The group will also work with a small group of band and/or choir students from 2:15 – 3:00. There will be a schedule that will allow 5th-7th periods to meet.
- ACT Practice will be every Thursday during WC time in the library.
- There are free books on the center table in the library.
- Please turn in all basketball and wrestling uniforms/warm-ups.
- Return all cheer uniforms TODAY.
Clubs & Organizations:
- HOSA has invited a 3rd year medical student to come talk to our school, so if you are interested in pursuing a medical profession, please join us at 7:15 AM on Thursday morning in Mrs. Dooley’s room to hear all about becoming a doctor.
- HOSA will host a middle school Spring Fling Dance here at the high school on March 16th, 7-10pm. $3/person, snacks will be available for purchase.
- Gaming Club will meet Tuesday, March 14th, after school in Mrs. Winkler’s room.
- JUNIORS - There will be a prom meeting in Ms. Hickman’s room TOMORROW, Tuesday, March 14th during WC Time.
- Fellowship of Christian Wildcats (FCW) meets every Tuesday in the theatre at 7:30 a.m.
- FCCLA is selling water bottle stickers. 1 for $1, or 6 for $5, during different lunches all week.
- Please pick up your cap/gown in the office.
- Send Ms. Halliday a file of your senior photo for the yearbook by Thursday, March 23rd. The photo should be a high-resolution jpeg photo. No screenshots or camera phone photos, please.
*Please indicate if you would like a separate photo to be used in the senior slideshow. Otherwise, the photo submitted for the yearbook will be used.
- Please turn in your picture and money for the senior banner to Ms. Moore. Send picture to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Humane Society Supplies Drive ~ collecting supplies for the Battle Mountain Humane Society for this Sr. Project. There is a collection box in the student Commons with a list of items for the animal shelter.
- The first edition of the school newspaper, the wildcat post is available this week! Pick up your free copy in the commons.
- Sr Project - collecting quotes/stories from the senior class of 2023. Look for an email from Mrs. French requesting quotes and/or stories to be submitted. All submissions must be school appropriate.
ACE Prep Test Classes
The CSD Library will offer ACT Prep classes for all interested students on Friday mornings from now – April 14, excluding Good Friday. The classes are tentatively scheduled from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., but the time may be changed based on the preferences of those who sign up. Juniors who plan on attending college and competing for scholarships are highly encouraged to register on ACT.com for the ACT test on April 15th, so we can prepare together for it. The April test is one of the three tests per year that ACT offers an option to purchase test results for an additional $30. (The others are June and December.) If students wish to take the test again to improve their scores, they can have their actual test, answers, and answer key to use to identify their strengths and weaknesses. If anyone has questions, please direct them to Mrs. Mertz email@example.com .
Custer Jr/Sr HS Counselor's Corner Website
Custer Jr/Sr HS Student Council Facebook
Custer Wildcat Booster Club Facebook
Click here to see how the SD Dept. of Education is using a portion of the ARP ESSER funding it received during the COVID-19 pandemic.
INSPIRE Event - STEM Program for girls 8th-12th grade - March 23, 2023 - Rapid City
Online Parenting Classes - The South Dakota Statewide Family Engagement Center will be offering Common Sense Parenting as a free online class Tuesdays, April 4 to May 9 from 6:00pm-8:00pm MT. Preregistration required. Participants should plan to attend all classes at the scheduled time. Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/common-sense-parenting-online-spring-2023-tickets-565753101757.
Custer Activities Schedule for 2022-23
Hello, Wildcat Fans! - Message from AD Kortemeyer
CES Upcoming Dates to Remember
Click here for the CES Family newsletter
March 14th: Student Council meeting at 7:35 am in Mrs. Webster’s room
March 14th: 5th Grade Ski Trip 7:00 am – 4:30 pm
March 15th: World Fest – Okra Playground from Finland, at 9:30-10:15 am in the Jr/Sr High theater
March 16th: Lifetouch spring pictures
March 16th: End of 3rd Quarter
March 22nd & 23rd: Jr. Kindergarten and Kindergarten Roundup - NO SCHOOL for KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS
March 28th: Student Council meeting at 7:35 a.m. in Mrs. Webster’s room
March 28th: No Tuesday Tutoring
March 28th: Living History 3:45-4:45 pm - & 9:15-10:00 a.m.
March 31st: Snow Make-Up day - School is in session
Hermosa Family Newsletter - LOTS of Important information included in newsletter!
Hermosa Facebook Page - please follow for updated daily announcements
Upcoming Dates to Remember
March 15th - Hot Shop
March 16th - Middle School Musical (Fussin' & Fuedin') 2 PM & 6 PM
March 16th - End of the 3rd Quarter
March 24th - Friday Opportunity Field Trip (5th-8th)
March 28th - Readiness Roundup
March 29th - Readiness Roundup
March 30th - Kids Heart Challenge Ends
March 30th - Soup & Sweets
March 31st - School Day - Snow Make-up Day
April 4th - Librarian Appreciation Day
April 5th - Paraprofessional Appreciation Day
April 6th - NO SCHOOL/Teacher In-Service
April 7th - Spring Break
April 10th - Spring Break
April 11 - School Board Meeting @ Hermosa 6:00 PM
April 14th - Friday Opportunity 5th-8th Grade
Upcoming Hornet Activities
March 16th - Middle School Musical 2:00 & 6:00
March 25th - Track @ Newcastle 9:00 AM
March 31st - Track @ Douglas 9:00 AM
April 4th - Track @ Hot Springs 9:00 AM
April 13th - Track @ Custer 9:00 AM
April 14th - Track @ Belle Fourche 9:00 AM
April 21st - Track @ Lead 9:00 AM
April 28th - Track @ Belle Fourche 9:00 AM
May 3rd - Track @ Rapid City 8:00 AM
May 6th - Track @ Sturgis 8:30 AM
May 11th - Track @ Edgemont 9:00 AM
May 13th - Track @ Douglas 9:00 AM
Do you have a kindergarten-age student? Please make an appt for the Hermosa Kdg Readiness Roundup.
Custer Youth & Alumni Foundation
CUSTER YOUTH & ALUMNI FOUNDATION
We are a local, not-for-profit organization made up of people just like you with one common goal: to assist the local youth and educators.
Contact us for Student Scholarships & Teacher Grant Opportunities.
Custer Elementary School
Administrative Assistant Cindy Heyne - firstname.lastname@example.org
Custer School District Vacancies
- SPECIAL ED TEACHER W/WOUT COACHING - needed full-time in Hermosa for upper grades, anticipating it will be grades 6-8, starting August 2023. SD Teacher Certification, with Special Education Endorsement required. Salary DOE. Complete CSD Certified Staff Application form; submit copies of transcripts and CSD Teacher Certificate; and 3 current letters of recommendation. Start Your Online Application Now Current CSD Teachers interested in the position must send a letter/email to Supt. Mark Naugle on or before the internal deadline of 4 p.m. on 3/15/23.
- HS ENGLISH TEACHER W/WOUT COACHING – needed full-time at Custer High School, starting August 2023, to teach English classes. Coaching opportunities available. SD Teacher Certification, and must be Highly Qualified. Salary DOE. Complete CSD Teacher application online, submit copies of transcripts, SD certification, and 3 current letters of recommendation. Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730 605-673-3154. Start Your Online Application Now Current CSD Teachers interested in the position must send a letter/email to Supt. Mark Naugle on or before the internal deadline of 4 p.m. on 3/16/23.
- BEHAVIOR TECHNICIAN – needed full-time to assist teacher(s) with students in the Elem. School to work primarily with students in CES Resource Room, inclusion setting, and 1:1. District will provide training. Applicants must pass a test after training is completed. Starting 7.75 hrs/day, $17.35/hr, to increase to $18.35/hr after training is complete. Locations of behavior technician positions are subject to change; however, this position will presently be located at Custer Elementary School. Will work according to school calendar, starting immediately. Two years of college preferred or must pass the state-required paraprofessional exam prior to starting. Contact Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730, 605.673.3154. Open until filled. EOE. Click to apply
- CHS Head Soccer Coach - starting stipend $4,202
- CHS Head Football Coach - starting stipend $4,202
- CHS Assistant Football Coach - starting stipend $2,802
- CHS Competition Cheer Coach - - starting stipend $4,202
- CHS Assistant Cheer Coach - starting stipend $2,802
- Custer Jr HS Volleyball Coach - starting stipend $1,751
- Jr High Track Coach - starting stipend $1,751 - starting spring 2024
- Prom Advisor - starting stipend $455 - starting spring 2024
- SUBSTITUTE CLEANERS - needed at all schools. Must complete CSD classified application packet and complete a criminal background check. $13.50/hr DOE.
- SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS - needed at all schools. Must complete CSD substitute application packet, submit proof of highest level of education, and complete a criminal background check prior to starting. Contact the CSD Admin. Office for a packet, or apply online at CSD.k12.sd.us, which will include the fingerprint/background check materials. Minimum requirement, HS graduate. Pay range $90/day-$115/day. Retired CSD Teachers start at $115/day.
- CONTACT INFORMATION
Custer School District, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD 57730. PH: 605.673.3154 FAX: 605.673.5607, Mon.-Thurs., 8:00-4:30 p.m., or Fridays, 8 a.m.- 1 p.m. Current CSD employees interested in a position must submit a letter of interest to Mr. Mark Naugle, Supt. of Schools. All other interested applicants must complete a CSD Job Application available at the address above or at www.csd.k12.sd.us. EOE.
The Custer School District 16-1 does not discriminate on the basis of race or color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy), disability, sexual orientation, age, religion and creed, military/veteran status, or marital status, in admission or access to or treatment or employment in its programs and activities: and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. For inquiries concerning the District’s compliance with Title VI or the Age Discrimination Act please contact the Superintendent of Schools, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD, 57730, (605) 673-3154; for Title IX please contact the Activities Director, 1645 Wildcat Lane, Custer, SD, 57730, (605)673-4473; or for Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities (ADA) act please contact the Special Education Director, 527 Montgomery St., Custer, SD, 57730, (605) 673-3154. For further inquiries contact the South Dakota Regional Office for Civil Rights, Kansas City Office, U.S. Dept. of Education, One Petticoat Lane, 1010 Walnut Street, Suite 320, Kansas City, MO, 64106, phone (816) 268-0550, TDD (800) 877-0599, Fax (816) 268-0559, e-mail: OCR.KansasCity@ed.gov
Administrative Assistant: Jennifer Conley - email@example.com
Custer Junior/Senior High School
Assistant Principal/Activities Director: Joey Kortemeyer - firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Assistant: Kelli Moore - email@example.com
Custer School District
Superintendent Mark Naugle - firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent Jennie Anderson - email@example.com
Full Staff Directory HERE
Lunchroom Vacancies - call 605-235-0939
The Mission of Custer School District is to Educate Every Student to His/Her Potential.