The Counseling Capsule
From the CYES School Counselors
For the Week of February 1, 2016
February's Pillar is Citizenship
Special Events and Activities this month
The Counselors will be placing information in your mailboxes pertaining to the Pillar of the Month and the following calendar events.
National School Counseling Week February 1 - 5, 2016
Citizenship Food Drive for Backpack Buddies program February 8 - 26, 2016
Spelling Bee, February 8, 2016
Positive Behavior Assemblies, February 10, 2016
PTO Meeting, February 10, 2016 7 pm
Spirit Day: Wear Purple! Friday, February 12, 2016
Proud to be Me Week (spirit week) February 16- 19, 2016
Advisory Council Meeting, February 16, 2016 7 pm
Jump Rope For Heart, February 25, 2016 6:30 pm
Happy National School Counseling Week!
National School Counseling Week, sponsored by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), focuses public attention on the unique contribution of professional school counselors within U.S. school systems and how students are different as a result of what school counselors do.
National School Counseling Week highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career.
The special week also provides recognition for all stakeholders who collaborate with school counselors to implement comprehensive school counseling programs, a vital part of the educational process for all students as they meet the challenges of the 21st century.
Thank you, CYES Staff, Students, and Parents, for your support of the CYES School Counseling program and the school counselors!
Mrs. Lang's Schedule (Grades 1, 3 and 5)
The counselors will be contacting all 4th and 5th grade teachers this week
so that we can come into your classrooms to administer the
County Wide School Climate Survey.
Mrs. Lang's Schedule is as follows:
Monday, February 1
Teacher Work Day
Tuesday, February 2
7:45 am Staff Development
11 am - 1 pm Lunch Groups
Wednesday, February 3
11- 11:45 Making Friends GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch
12:30 - 1:15 Making Friends GRADE 3 Lunch Bunch
2 - 2:40 Classroom Counseling Mrs. Woodby Grade 5 - Conflict Resolution
11 - 1:15 Small Group Lunch Bunches
2:25 - 3:00 Classroom Counseling - Mrs. Ramirez - Regina's Mistake
3 - 3:30 BLAST
Friday, February 5
AM Character Slips announcements
AM Gifted Screenings
GRADE LEVEL DATA DAY - No groups No Classroom Counseling Lessons
IS IT BULLYING?
Monthly Awareness Dates : February
African American History Month
National Boost-Your-Self-Esteem Month
National Children’s Dental Health Month
National Teen Dating Violence Awareness
and Prevention Month
1-5 National School Counseling Week
1 National Freedom Day
2 Groundhog Job Shadow Day
3 Digital Learning Day
9-15 Random Acts of Kindness Week
22 World Thinking Day
23–March 1 National Eating Disorders Awareness Week
These principles are what we use to guide our collaborative efforts in creating a firm foundation for our school community based upon the Six Pillars of Character.
Briefly, these principles are:
- The school community promotes core ethical and performance values as the foundation of good character.
- The school defines “character” comprehensively to include thinking, feeling, and doing.
- The school uses a comprehensive, intentional, and proactive approach to character development.
- The school creates a caring community.
- The school provides students with opportunities for moral action.
- The school offers a meaningful and challenging academic curriculum that respects all learners, develops their character, and helps them to succeed.
- The school fosters students’ self-motivation.
- The school staff is an ethical learning community that shares responsibility for character education and adheres to the same core values that guide the students.
- The school fosters shared leadership and long-range support of the character education initiative.
- The school engages families and community members as partners in the character-building effort.
- The school regularly assesses its culture and climate, the functioning of its staff as character educators, and the extent to which its students manifest good character.
These 11 principles are the goals of Chris Yung Elementary School and our community as we work together to form new traditions, incentives, and a positive school climate within our school culture.
Bet you didn't know there were 11 of them!
CHARACTER EDUCATION ARTICLES, LINKS, AND RESOURCES
Teaching Good Citizenship - Five Themes
Tips for Creating a Culture of Kindness in Your School
The Responsive Classroom - Why is everyone so nice in here?
WEBSITES and LINKS
Awesome Blog by Barbara Gruener
Have a great week, everyone!