First Day of School on Tuesday September 4th!
Hello Winchester Families!
Welcome Back to the 2018-19 school year! We welcome you all to a new year of learning and growing in academics, citizenship, and leadership. We are looking forward to providing your child a challenging, engaging, memorable, and meaningful educational experience.
The Winchester staff is talented, hardworking, and committed to ensuring all students receive a strong academic foundation. We look forward to working together; staff, students, parents, and the community, to continue the legacy of excellence established at Winchester. We are committed to developing 21st century skills, fostering a safe, positive, and nurturing environment for children and maintaining the highest expectations for our students and ourselves.
Winchester is proud to be a The Leader in Me Lighthouse school of Academic Distinction! The Leader in Me is an innovative, school-wide model that emphasizes a culture of student empowerment. We believe in fostering each child's leadership potential by teaching and living the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, engaging students in goal setting, and working together for student success.
On behalf of the staff of Winchester Elementary, where we are "Learning Together, Leading Forever", welcome to the 2018-19 school year!
Kelly I. Lindsay, Ed. S.
Keep informed of current information by accessing the Winchester website:
Check back often for school news and updates!
You can also find us @WinchesterElem on Twitter.
We are looking forward to seeing you all on Tuesday!
PTA Welcome Back Coffee/PTA Meeting
The PTA is very excited to welcome everyone back to school. Please join us on Friday, September 7th at 9:00 AM in the Dragon's Den for coffee and our first PTA meeting. This is also a great time to get more information about all of our activities, committees, and volunteer to help with anything that interests you. We look forward to seeing everyone on Friday morning!
Help Keep our Students Safe during Drop Off and Pick Up
DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP OF CHILDREN
In order to make the drop off and pick-up of children by car as safe as possible for our students, we ask that you follow these procedures:
Please do not drop your child off before 8:35 a.m. The first bell rings at 8:41 a.m.
Bus – For those eligible, riding a NPS bus is the most convenient and safest transportation option.
Drop Off Procedures:
- During arrival, please be sure to stay in the right hand lane and pull your vehicle all the way up in the “red zone.”
- Please do not maneuver between lanes as this creates a safety concern.
- When all the cars have pulled forward and stopped, please have your child prepared to exit your car with all of their belongings.
- Try to get your goodbye hugs and kisses in at home.
- ALL students should be dropped off at the same time. Please do not stop and drop each of your children off at a specific door.
- Students should be prepared to walk to their designated arrival location using the sidewalk in front of the school.
Please stay in your car at all times in the DROP-OFF ZONE.
Pick Up Procedures:
- Kindergarten parents are asked to park in the parking lot and walk up to the building to pick up your child from the teacher unless arrangements have been made to pick them up in the pick-up zone.
- If you are leaving your vehicle you must park in the parking lot.
- Our dismissal begins promptly at 3:45. In order for you to be in our MOVING carpool line and not in a stagnant line, please arrive no sooner than 3:45.
- Please stay in the right hand lane and pull all the way up in the “red zone” or Pick-Up Zone.
- The carpool lane will be released first.
For the Safety of our students, please remember to:
- Refrain from using your cell phone during Drop off and Pick up
- Use the cross walk at the main entrance when crossing.
- Turn left out of the parking lot.
- Save the handicapped spots for those who need them.
Don’t forget the Back-to-School forms including Student Code of Conduct, Concussion Form, Technology Use Agreement, Media Release Authorization, Bring Your Own Device, iChat Volunteer Form, and Listserv signup are available to complete online! Parent and student should be present when completing this as there are digital signatures needed. Please complete prior to the first day of school using the following link:
This process will need to be repeated for each additional child.
Updates to Emergency Contact Information
Please Add/Update your Emergency Contacts to allow this data to be captured in our Student Information System and for pre-filling data on emergency cards. This information can be updated throughout the year as needed. Parent's contact information should not be listed as an Emergency Contact. (To update your parent contact information, click on the My Information link and then click on the Demographic link under the Parent Name.)
Parents and guardians can update emergency contact information, by following these steps:
· Log in to the MISTAR ParentPortal.
· Click on the “My Information” link at the top right of the page.
· Click on “EDIT box” next to your student’s name.
· Click on “Emergency Contact” under your student’s name.
· Update the Name, Phone Number, Type and Relationship fields.
· Click the “COPY and REPLACE emergency contacts for other available students” if you would like your other student’s emergency contacts to also be updated with this same information.
· Click the “Submit” button on the top left of the page.
Please allow up to five days for these changes to be approved.
Medication Drop Off
If your child requires medication at school, please drop off any medication (we cannot accept expired medication) and required paper work if you have not already done so. Bring it to the main office with the proper forms filled out by your doctor. We cannot dispense any medication, OTC or prescribed, without this form. All incoming Kindergartners - if you have not yet given us a copy of your vision screening, we ask that you give us a copy on the first day if possible.