by: Trevor Stathatos
Located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, this soccer stadium opened on June 16, 1950, this project was not completed until 1965. Although there was heavy competition to design this venue, the contracts went to 7 Brazilian architects; Michael Feldman, Waldir Ramos, Raphael Galvao, Oscar Valdetaro, Orlando Azevedo, Pedro Paulo Bernardes Bastos, and Antonio Dias Carneiro. Uniquely, this building is apart of a complex with an arena called Maracanazinho. The stadium can hold a capacity of 78, 838 people, although an astounding 199, 850 people were in attendance to watch a World Cup game here, on July 16, 1950. Maracana Stadium is the largest stadium in Brazil, and the second largest stadium in South America.