Arbor Intermediate School
October 2023 Issue
School Leadership Team
School Leadership Team
Heather O’Donnell, Principal
Janell Smolk, Assistant Principal
Amy McLaughlin, Counselor
Ruby Schridher, Counselor
Karen Hoeg, Secretary
Corinne Fender, School Nurse
Marcela Ridley, Attendance Clerk
Kenneth Dzurilla, Custodian
A Message from the Principal
Dear Arbor Families,
October has been an exciting month for Arbor students and staff. We began the month with our Week of Respect, where students participated in discussions and activities based on learning to respect one another and themselves. Hispanic Heritage Month continued with students completing projects and classroom activities celebrating the historical and cultural contributions of the world’s Spanish speaking countries, and all those who identify as members of the Hispanic and Latinx community. We were also able to hold a Dine to Donate event at Panera, raising money for the PTO. We held our annual Breakfast with your Child event the week of October 16 and our first Family Fun Night on October 17. Pumpkin painting was a huge success, and over 300 students, teachers, and families were able to relax and enjoy a well-loved fall activity. A special thank you is due to the Quibbletown and Schor Junior Honor Societies, who volunteered to assist the PTO and many of our teachers in the set up and clean up that evening. Mrs. McLaughlin, our school counselor, also invited parents in for the first Coffee with the Counselor event, where she discussed internet safety as it relates to students at the intermediate level.
There are a number of dates to save coming up as well. Our Halloween celebrations in the classrooms will happen on Tuesday, October 31. Students can come dressed to school, but should leave props, costume masks, and face paint at home. Schools will be closed November 7, 9, and 10. Parent/Teacher conferences will be November 15 and 16 from 6-8pm, and November 17 from 12:45-2:30. Parents can sign up for conferences on Genesis beginning the evening of October 27.
Counseling Corner with Mrs. McLaughlin
It has been a wonderful (and busy) start to the new school year!
In the month of October, all students received a lesson on the T.H.I.N.K model to communicate our thoughts and feelings responsibly. Students learned about the model and how it can help them communicate more thoughtfully and kindly in various situations.
Coffee with the Counselor
October is Dental Health Month. Let's FALL into good habits!
You should brush their teeth twice a day, using toothpaste containing fluoride
You should floss once a day
You should see the dentist every 6 months
Avoid sugary foods and drinks.
Choose heathy snacks
Week of Respect
Breakfast with your Child
Family Fun Night
Scholastic Book Fair
The PTO worked hard to make the 2023 Book Fair a huge success. Students had the opportunity to attend the book fair, peruse the books, and add to their personal libraries. Students were all smiles as they circulated through the book fair! A special thanks to all the staff, parents and community members to helped with the book fair.
“Esperanza: A Celebration of Hispanic Heritage and Hope”
This year, we celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month between September 15th and October 15th. During this month, we recognize the achievements Hispanic Americans have made, and continue to make, in our country. During this month, Arbor students celebrate the culture, histories, and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Mexico, Spain, Central America, South America and the Caribbean.
In Senora Garcia's Spanish class, students started Hispanic Heritage Month understanding why the months is celebrated. Students then applied this knowledge as they worked on a project. 4th grade students learned about Spanish speaking countries and then selected a country to research. 5th grade students completed a research project on a Hispanic person of their choosing. Check out some of the projects below!
Dear Arbor Families,
It has been an exciting first two months of the school year and on behalf of the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO), we would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude for your unwavering support. Your commitment enables us to fulfill our mission of enhancing our students' educational experience through enrichment and fundraising activities. Your continued support allows us to:
● Support Exciting Events: We organize events like family fun nights, school trips, book and holiday fairs, informative assemblies and more to enrich our students’ educational experience and create lasting memories.
● Strengthen Our Community: By supporting local and small businesses, we contribute to the growth of our community. This partnership fosters a sense of togetherness and helps local businesses thrive.
● Show Appreciation to our Staff: We take pride in recognizing and appreciating our amazing staff, from dedicated teachers to hardworking custodians. Their tireless efforts are essential to the success of our school.
● Family Fun Night - Painting Pumpkins: Our first Family Fun night of the year - Pumpkin Painting was a huge success. On Tuesday, Oct 17th, we welcomed over 300+ students and family members, making it one of the most attended events at Arbor. Thank you to all the parents, staff and honors society students who made it a memorable night.
● Fall Book Fair: Our week-long Scholastic book fair wrapped up on Friday, Oct 20. We are grateful to all the parents, grandparents, and guardians who volunteered and helped us promote the joy of reading to our students. A special call out to our book fair co-chair, 5th-grade parent Ms. Sandy Hegedus for her outstanding leadership, commitment and dedication.
● Corresponding Secretary: We are delighted to welcome our newly appointed Corresponding Secretary, 5th-grade parent Ms. Reshu Gupta to the PTO board. Reshu has been actively involved with the recent events and we are thrilled to have her on the team.
● Dine to Donate - Taco Tuesday: Mark your calendars for Tuesday, 11/7, from 4 pm to 8 pm, at Chipotle in Piscataway for our Dine to Donate fundraising event. Keep an eye out for communications a few days prior to the event. (CHECK OUT THE FLYER BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS)
● Holiday Fair: Our holiday fair will take place from Monday, 12/4, to Friday, 12/8 during school hours. Stay tuned for communications to sign up for available time slots. If you are Interested in co-chairing, volunteering or providing in-kind services, you can sign up here.
● Volunteer Sign-Up: link
● In-Kind Services: link
● Follow Us on Facebook: link
● Email: Arborintermediatepto@gmail.com
Thank you for your unwavering support. We eagerly anticipate engaging with you throughout the year.
Hesha Patel, President
Aaron Gibbs, Treasurer
Shameeka Gibbs, Recording Secretary
Reshu Gupta, Corresponding Secretary
Check out the Student of the Month Winners- September
- 11/7/23- Dine to Donate (Chipotle)
- 11/15/23- Evening Conferences (Early Dismissal)
- 11/16/23- Evening Conferences (Early Dismissal)
- 11/17/23- Daytime Conferences (Early Dismissal)
- 11/30/23- Spirit Day (Black and Gold)