PEEK OF THE WEEK
COOPER UPPER ELEMENTARY
UPCOMING EVENTS - OUR BIG ROCKS
- 2/19 Mid Winter Break
- 2/20 PTA 6:30 @ Cooper LMC
- 2/21 PTA Founders Day 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- 2/22 Field Trip for McGlinch, Daraskavich, Erickson, Lietz and Inks
- 2/22 Human Growth Meeting @ 6:00 PM (COOPER LMC)
Livonia Public Schools Parent/Guardian Human Growth Informational Meeting for 5th and 6th Grade
Livonia Public Schools has established a program of instruction, for students, which includes HIV/AIDS, serious communicable disease prevention education, and sexuality education. (Please note: not all of the above mentioned content is taught in 5th grade.)
According to Michigan law, you have the right to review the materials and curriculum content to be used in the unit. Therefore, you are invited to attend a meeting to review the curriculum on Thursday, February 22nd at 6 p.m. in the Cooper L.M.C. (library).
This meeting is scheduled prior to the start of instruction so you can determine whether you will give approval for your child’s participation. Parents and guardians may exclude their children from all or portions of this unit of study without penalty. Participation permission slips will be going home shortly after the February 22nd meeting.
ALL students MUST return the note to their teacher stating whether they will be opting in or opting out of the unit. We will not assume that your child is opting out simply because they did not return a note. We need to have a note from every student.
In addition, each teacher will be, individually, scheduling the dates for the unit to be taught for your child’s class. Your child’s teacher will inform you of the date the unit will begin.
The third 3rd annual Girls in STEM event will take place in March this year. This is a free event for girls in grades 5-6 from Livonia and Garden City Schools. Schoolcraft and the Livonia Chapter of American Association of University Women fund this event. The deadline to register is February 24th. Please read the attached flyer for more information.
HELP WANTED: GIRLS ON THE RUN COACH
- The season begins the week of March 13th
- The 5k is scheduled for Sunday May 19th at Lake St. Clair Metropark and all information is available at www.gotrdetroit.org/gotr-5k
- Cost of the program is $136, Financial assistance is always available at the Y for individual families
Girls on the Run Coach dates:
- Commitment is 2 days a week, preferably after school for 1.5 hours
- All training and materials are provided by the YMCA
Training (choose 1)
- Saturday, February 24, 8-12:30p @ Boll YMCA
- Sunday, February 25, 8-12:30p @ Boll YMCA
- Saturday, March 3, 8-4p *More than 1 training in this day @ South Oakland YMCA
- Sunday, March 4, 9-3p *More than 1 training in this day @ South Oakland YMCA
Season kick-off (supply pickup for registered coaches)
- Saturday, March 3, 8-4p @ South Oakland YMCA
- Sunday, March 4, 9-3p @ South Oakland YMCA
- Monday, March 5, 3:30-6p @ South Oakland YMCA
BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND CALENDAR
- 2/28 1/2 day for students
- 3/13 Spring Picture Day
- 3/20 Dentist R Us