Eagle Talk | April 8, 2022
Edgemont Junior High Newsletter
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
11-15 - Spring Break
20 - IPR #5
21 - EJH Booster Club Meeting - 6:00 pm, Cafeteria (date change)
29 - Early Release (2.5 hours)
4 - Edgemont Talent Show
9 - State Assessment Practice Day - Monday Assembly Schedule
10/11 - State assessments for ELA
17/18 - State assessments for Math
18 - IPR #6
23-26 - School Play
24 - State assessment for Science
27 - No school
30 - Memorial Day - No school
2 - Mr. Eagle
7 - 6th Grade Track Meet @ Sparks Stadium
15 - 9th Grade Day
16 - House Masters' Cup
17 - Early Release - Last Day of School
Once again, our students will go through a series of state assessments designed to measure growth in English Language Arts (ELA), math, and science. These tests will occur during the month of May. Here are the things you need to know when it comes to these tests:
- May 9 - Our schedule will be altered so that students in grades 6-8 can do a quick practice test in preparation for the real state assessments.
- May 10 - Students in grades 6-8 will take the first part of the ELA test in the morning. After that they will proceed to periods 1, 2, and 3. Students in grade 9 will start the day with periods 4, 5, and 6 and then match the same schedule with the rest of the school.
- May 11 - Students in grades 6-8 will take the second part of the ELA test in the morning. After that they will proceed to periods 4, 5, and 6. Students in grade 9 will be on their regular schedule.
- May 17 - All students will follow the same schedule as May 10 except that grades 6-8 will be taking the first part of the math test.
- May 18 - All students will follow the same schedule as May 11 except that grades 6-8 will be taking the second part of the math test.
- May 24 - Students in grades 8 will take the science test in the morning. After that they will proceed to periods 4, 5, and 6. Students in grade 6, 7 and 9 will be on their regular schedule.
In preparation for these testing days, we encourage all students to get plenty of rest. We also need help in making sure that they have their computers full charged since the tests will be taken electronically.
EJH Booster Club - Change the Date to April 21
Our first meeting of the Edgemont Booster Club will be on Thursday, April 21 at 6:00 pm in the cafeteria. This meeting was previously scheduled for April 20.
What is the meeting for and who should attend? It is for anyone who wants to volunteer in our school. We have long list of opportunities for anyone interested in helping make EJH a better place for students and staff. If you previously were a member of an elementary PTA, this is right up your alley. However, no experience is necessary.
The Edgemont Booster Club has traditionally had a strong group of people who have supported the school. Let's get this group back to pre-COVID days. We look forward to seeing you there!
9th Grade Day
On June 15, we will devote a large portion of our school day to our 9th graders. On this day, we will conduct our annual awards assembly as well as a fun off-campus outing (more information will be coming soon on this event).
On Monday, April 18, we will be asking our 9th graders to complete a survey asking them how they want their day to proceed. They will have two options:
Morning - Awards assembly
Afternoon - Off-campus event
Morning - Periods 1, 2, 3
Afternoon - Off-campus event
Evening - Awards assembly
Once we get the results of this survey, we will finalize these events and get information out to families.
Food & Nutrition Services is hiring!
Help in the lunchroom while still having time for you!
- Starting rate is $14.51 per hour.
- Shifts are always at lunchtime and are between two and three hours per day, school days only.
- You’ll need a food worker card, a completed application, references and submit fingerprints for a background check.
- Apply on-line at the PSD website. Go to Careers, then “I want to become a PSD employee”.
- Call Robin with any questions 253-841-8773
We could use your skills!
Track Camp During Spring Break
Puyallup High School will be running a junior track camp during spring break. Here is the information:
- Tuesday April 12th – Thursday April 14th
- Grades 5th -8th
- @ Sparks Stadium
- $40 per athlete includes a t-shirt
- See Registration for how to pay.
- Register by going to this website (walk-ins are welcome but not guaranteed a shirt).
- Registration closes Friday April 8th at 2pm.
Come join us for an introduction into all areas of Track and Field fundamentals lead by the Puyallup HS coaches and athletes. Puyallup loves Track and Field!
Camp will happen rain or shine.
9th Grade Academic Assistance - Freshman Tuesday and Wednesday Math Help
Between now and the end of the school year, all 9th graders who are failing a course will be placed into our Freshman Tuesday and/or Wednesday Math Help afterschool intervention sessions. The purpose is to provide extra assistance for those who need to get back on track for graduation. These sessions last from 2:00 to 4:15 pm and tutors will be present to provide help. Students can either get a ride home from parents/guardians or ride the activity bus.
Students can be excused from these sessions once they have achieved passing grades, have turned in all missing work prior to Tuesday, or if families have communicated with our On-Time Graduation Specialist, Mrs. Mozrall, regarding a specific plan to get their child passing. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions as to the status of your child's grades, we encourage you to access your Schoology account. Better yet, ask your child to turn on their district device and have them show you their grades. This not only encourages accountability but also opens the door for conversation.
EDGEMONT NEWSLETTER LINK
EDGEMONT CONTACT INFO
Location: Edgemont Junior High School, 110th Avenue East, Edgewood, WA, USA
Phone: (253) 841-8727