SENIOR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
BEING INTENTIONALLY INFORMED 5/10/2021
HOT TOPICS AND REMINDERS
- MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR NEWSLETTER DAILY FOR UPDATES
- (UPDATE): SENIOR OLYMPCIS (see specifics below)!!!
- VOLUNTEERS NEEED FOR SENIOR LUNCHEON, SEE INFO BELOW
- There are changes to the Black & Gold hybrid schedule for the last week of school (see info below).
- EARLY DISMISSAL ON THE LAST TWO DAYS OF SCHOOL, SEE INFO BELOW.
- (UPDATE): A CHANGE FROM 6 GUESTS TO 8 GUESTS FOR GRADUATION HAS BEEN MADE.
- There are no tickets for graduation.
- SENIOR WEEK AND OTHER IMPORTANT INFO, SEE BELOW!!!
- New location for cap & gown pick up starting May 10th, see info below.
- Yearbook pick up the week of May 10th, see info below.
- SENIOR LUNCHEON TO BE HELD ON MAY 18TH GOLD DAY & MAY 19TH BLACK DAY, IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE SENIOR'S MUST WEAR THEIR CAP & GOWN. (see info below).
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING APEX COURSES, SEE INFO BELOW!
- TUTORING - Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday at WCHS: 2:30PM - 4:30PM. IN-PERSON & VIRTUAL STUDENTS CAN ATTEND TUTORING. (bus transportation home is provided after tutoring)
- Last Day of school is May 28th, see information below.
- AP EXAM SCHEDULE WITH DATES (see info below)
- Selling flowers & class t-shirts at graduation, see info below!
- STATE EXTENDS FAFSA FILING DEADLINE BEYOND APRIL 15TH (see info below).
- COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY INFORMATION (see info below)!!!
- COMMENCEMENT TIMES, SEE BELOW
- WCHS Mask Update, see info below.
- Calling for athletes that have committed to a college (see info below).
- Senior's share your accomplishments to be put in the senior issue of the newspaper (see info below).
- Anyone age 16 is eligible for COVID-19 vaccination in Indiana as of March 31st (see info below).
- Don't miss the last Senior Saturday: May 15th (10am - 12noon), see below for other information.
- Tutoring is also available at Moorhead Community Resource Center 8:30am - 2:30pm Monday - Thursday, call 532-3857 to make needed arrangements, location is 8400 E. 10th Street, Indpls. 46219 (FOR SENIORS ONLY)
Class of 2021,
The count down continues, only 3 weeks left in this school year. Let's make the right choices in the weeks left to finish STRONG & SUCCESSFUL!
This Saturday is the last Senior Saturday, May 15th. Don't miss this opportunity to get assistance for Math, Science, Social Studies, English and Apex.
Take advantage of tutoring being offered Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 2:30PM - 4:30PM. . I look forward to seeing you there!
You are in the final grading period of your Senior year. The end of the school year, May 28th, will be here soon! While that is very exciting, you still have a lot of work to do. I encourage you to attend tutoring and the other opportunities we are providing in order to get help.
If you do not meet all the graduation requirements, you will not be able to participate in the graduation ceremony and receive your diploma.
KEEP BEING INTENTIONAL BY MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICES..........!
Remember you don't have to do this alone, help/resources are available.
Remember there is tutoring, Saturday School, summer school, your Counselor, Academic Coach, Dean and Teacher's. Make use of all these resources to aide you in finishing STRONG!
Also, there is tutoring at Moorhead Community Resource Center (FOR SENIORS ONLY),
Monday - Thursday 8:30am - 2:30pm, call to make needed arrangements 532-3854, located at 8400 E. 10th Street, Indpls. 46219.
You must continue being intentional by making the right choices to have a successful senior year, finishing STRONG!
Your success is dependent upon the choices you make, so MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES!
Remember we are here to support you any way we can.
Let's all do what we need to do as we approach the end of the 2021 school year!!!
Mr. Rusununguko, ACSW, LCSW
Dean for Student Services / 12th Grade
SENIOR OLYMPICS / HERE ARE THE SPECIFICS!!!
- SENIOR OLYMPICS *Please read carefully*
- We will be having a GOLD day (5/20) and a BLACK day (5/21) senior olympic competition.
- All teams must consist of members in your same cohort
- Black = A-K and Gold = L-Z
- Please have ONE member of your team (Team Captain) fill out the google form attached with the appropriate information
- Olympics will be taking place outside on the practice football field west of the stadium from 2:45-4:30
- Teams are encouraged to wear matching or coordinating outfits
- Masks and social distancing will be required during all events
- There will be a Black day winner, Gold day winner and an overall Senior Olympic Champion which will be announced no later than Monday (5/24) on the morning announcements and through your email
As always please let me know if you have any questions!
Senior Luncheon, May 18th / May 19th
Wednesday May 19th (BLACK schedule students) 11:00am - 1:00pm.
There will be exceptions for students who have AP testing on their respective days.
ALL SENIORS MUST WEAR CAP & GOWN IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE LUNCHEON!!!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR SENIOR LUNCHEON!!!
The Senior Luncheon for the class of 2021 is scheduled and there is a need for volunteers to help serve food and drinks. The need is for 20 volunteers each day (see below), the time of the shift is 10:30 to 1:00. All volunteers must wear a mask while in the school (please bring a mask from home) and gloves while serving food. The gloves will be provided.
• Tuesday May 18th (GOLD schedule students) 10:30 to 1:00, @ Warren Central
• Wednesday May 19th (BLACK schedule students) 10:30 to 1:00 @ Warren Central
If you would like to volunteer please send an email to Michelle Shuffitt, firstname.lastname@example.org. please provide:
• Day you want to help: Tuesday or Wednesday or both.
• Phone number
You may also contact via phone, text preferred, 317-490-7752. If you text please provide email address.
NEW LOCATION FOR CAP & GOWN PICK UP
Starting Monday, May 10th, seniors can pick up their cap and gown in the book store during lunch times.
YEARBOOK PICK UP.......!
Beginning the week of May 10th, yearbooks can be picked up during lunch times in the bookstore.
SENIOR WEEK AND OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Hello Class of 2021!
Welcome to the month of May and your last couple of weeks of high school! I wanted to update you on some things that are happening in the coming days/weeks.
May 10th -- LAST CHANCE to submit pictures for the senior video, please email them to email@example.com
May 14th -- Senior Superlative voting closes
May 17th-21st -- SENIOR WEEK (see the attached calendar for dress up days)
May 18th & 19th -- Senior Luncheon
May 20th & 21st -- Senior Olympics, see info above for the specifics.
MAY 28TH IS THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
Parents/Guardians: Please encourage your student(s) to reach out to their teachers and attend tutoring if needed. If you need assistance, please reach out to your student(s) Cohort Team.
TAKE NOTE OF THE CHANGES TO THE BLACK & GOLD HYBRID SCHEDULE FOR THE LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL
EARLY RELEASE ON LAST TWO DAYS OF SCHOOL
AP EXAM SCHEDULE WITH DATES
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING APEX COURSES!!!
Deadline for Apex - Apex courses must be completed on the last day/period of your credit recovery class per the final exam schedule (Either May 27th or 28th).
Deadline for Night School Apex - Courses must be completed by 8:00pm on May 27th.
YOU MUST FILE YOUR FAFSA BY MAY 15TH
State’s Message to Hoosiers: File Your FAFSA by May 15
(INDIANAPOLIS) – Hoosiers who haven’t yet filed the most important form for receiving student financial aid have just a few days left to file before Indiana’s new deadline of May 15.
The Indiana Commission for Higher Education extended the filing deadline for the 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) beyond the state’s original April 15 deadline to help as many students as possible file the FAFSA. Students who have not yet filed should submit the form at FAFSA.gov as soon as possible.
June 3rd/Black Cohort:
11am - 12noon A-Bl
12pm - 1pm Bo-Cl
1pm - 2pm Co-Dr
3pm - 4pm Du-Ga
4pm - 5pm Ge-H
5pm - 6pm I-K
June 4th/Gold Cohort:
10am -11am L-Mc
11am -12noon Me-Pa
12noon - 1pm Pe-Ri
2pm - 3pm Ro-Sk
3pm - 4pm Sm-T
4pm - 5pm V-Z
SELLING FLOWERS AND CLASS T-SHIRTS AT GRADUATION!!!
CALLING FOR ATHLETES THAT HAVE COMMITTED TO A COLLEGE.......!!!!!
Hi my name is Da'Nae. I write for the newspaper and yearbook and I'm working on a piece about athletes who have committed to college. Please log onto the link below if you are a athlete that has committed to a college.
SENIORS SHARE YOUR ACCOMOPLISHMENTS TO BE PUT IN THE SENIOR ISSUE OF THE NEWSPAPER!
My name is Daniel and I am a publications student who is working on the senior issue of the newspaper. One of our traditions is collecting accomplishments of seniors to publish in the senior issue. In order to effectively do this, I have created this google form to be shared with seniors. Seniors log onto the link below to share your accomplishments for the senior issue of the newspaper.
Thank you so much!!!
Log onto the link below:
WCHS MASK MANDATE UPDATE
Anyone age 16 and older is eligible for COVID-19 vaccination in Indiana as of March 31st.
Please log onto the link below to see important information about the vaccination and how to register. Of particular note is the fact that students younger than 18 years old must make an appointment at a site that offers the Pfizer vaccine, as it is the only shot authorized for 16- and 17-year-olds.
Kristina Box, MD, FACOG
State Health Commissioner
THIS IS THE LAST SENIOR SATURDAY, MAY 15TH, YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS IT!!! I WILL BE THERE, WILL YOU?
CLASS OF 2021 THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO OBTAIN ASSISTANCE IN YOUR CORE CLASSES & APEX CLASSES. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS OPPORTUNITY.
THIS IS THE LAST SENIOR SATURDAY FOR THIS SCHOOL YEAR, I WANT TO SEE YOU THERE!!!!
May 15th (10am - 12noon) enter Door #1 and report to the Media Plex.
English, Math, Science, Apex Teacher's available to assist you!!!
TUTORING EXPANDED TO FOUR DAYS A WEEK, STARTING MAY 3RD!
With only 3 weeks left until the end of the semester, it is important that you keep working hard to pass your classes and get your credits so you are eligible to graduate. It is not time to let up or give up. We are here to support you to the finish line. Take advantage of the tutoring, talk to your teachers and let us know if you need anything.
Students with classes on APEX - Those classes are required for graduation and must be complete by the end of the semester.
Emails and Canvas - Students must check these daily so they are not missing out on important information!!
Tips for Managing Your Time:
- Plan your schedule and stick to it.
- Make a daily to-do list.
- Prioritize your work.
- Break large tasks into their smaller components.
- Set goals and deadlines.
- Honestly assess the amount of time you waste.
- Do Not Procrastinate. Delaying things may lead to piling of more and more work in the end.
- Avoid Distractions.
ACADEMIC COACH SUPPORT
FOOD DISTRIBUTION INFORMATION
- 100% VIRTUAL families can pick up food on Tuesday from 8:00-9:30 a.m. or 4:00- 6:00 p.m. at Moorhead Community Resource Center located at 8400 East 10th Street.
- All hybrid in-person students will have the opportunity to pick up meals while in-person to take home for the following school day. Please encourage your child to take advantage of this opportunity!
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT SAT/ACT, SCHOLARSHIPS, COLLEGE APPLICATIONS, ETC.?
Mr. Greg Fletcher for more information at: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Mr. Fletcher asks parents not to hesitate to reach out to him.)
QUESTIONS ABOUT COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS?
Enrollment is required and lots of incentives to participate.
For more information contact our Project Ready Program Coordinator Ms. Arnetta Scruggs at email@example.com
2021 Cohort Team
Mrs. Naylor, Academic Coach
Mrs. Jackson Administrative Assistant
Mr. Rusununguko, Dean for Student Services
Mrs. White, Counselor (L - Z)
Mrs. Hankley, Counselor (A - K)