What You Need to Know
What is sexual assault?
- any sexual act against your will, without your consent, or when you are unable to freely give consent because of being incapacitated or underage
What is the prevalence of sexual assault?
- 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men have been sexually assaulted at least once
What are the effects of sexual assault?
- a wide range of emotions may be experienced: fear, guilt, disbelief, numbness, anger, grief, depression, and a loss of control of life
- these emotions can last for years
- stress-related illnesses, addictions, eating disorders, and drastic lifestyle changes may result
What if someone I know needs help?
Confidential Help: 1-800-658-4482
- Center for Survivors, Columbus, NE
- Nebraska Domestic Violence Sexual Assault Coalition