January 14th - January 18th
Tuesday, January 15th
- Dr. Kick and Mrs. Ryan Birthday Lunch
Wednesday, January 16th
- General PTO Meeting - Full Bloom Lotus Mindfulness Presentation, 9am Harper Auditorium
Thursday, January 17th and Friday, January 18th
- Kindergarten registration (Thurs. 9:30 am-5:00, Fri. 8:00 am-3:15)
Monday, January 21st
- No School, Martin Luther King, Jr Birthday
Monday, January 24th
- Kindergarten lottery
Monday, January 28th
- Harper Open Gym begins
Dr. Kick's Corner
Warm clothes for recess! Cold weather is here again, so please make sure that your child has a warm coat, a hat, mittens, snow pants and boots. Recess occurs when the temperature is five-degrees or warmer.
Enrollment for Kindergarten 2019-20 opens January 17th, 2019 from 9:30 am - 5:00 pm and January 18th, 2019 from 8:00 am - 3:15 pm. Please come to Harper's school office during the times listed above in order to be a part of the kindergarten lottery. The lottery is January 24th, 2019.
Necessary forms are available below; you can print and complete these at home to save time. Other forms are required later and dates are noted on each. Parents need to bring an original copy of their child’s birth certificate and two original documents that provide proof of residency (details included with the forms). Several weeks after you have enrolled your child, you will receive an email from D39 with an ID and password to complete the online registration.
Forms required for enrollment on January 17th and 18th:
- Affirmation of Residency & Required Residency 2019-2020 Enrollment|2018-2019 Enrollment
- Home Language Affirmation of Residency & Required Residency Survey
- K Preference Form
- New Family Form-R-2
- New Student Registration Information
- Request for Student Records
- Property Tax Proof for Registration
Forms required later:
Carpool Line-THANK YOU! The carpool line has been running much smoother with more and more drivers following the carpool and school zone rules. Students should not be dropped off in the back of the school, unless your child is a part of the Before School Care Program. Also, 1st grade students, who do not have a kindergarten sibling, should be dropped off in the 1st-4th grade carpool line, not in the kindergarten line.
2019-2020 Connecting Kids Preschool Openings
Housed within Romona School is the Connecting Kids Preschool Program. The half-day sessions for three, four and five year-old children are specifically designed to prepare children for District 39 kindergarten classrooms. With structured play, planned pre-academic instruction, differentiated learning, and vocabulary development, Connecting Kids provides an excellent foundation for all children. Reserve a spot for your child in next fall's three, four or five year-old classes. Registration closes on January 31, 2019. Registration forms can be found online here. If space is available, registration is ongoing until classes are filled.
Call Amanda Barton, Early Childhood Coordinator, at 847-512-6463, or visit www.wilmette39.org to learn more about this exceptional District 39 program.
District 39’s Summer Enrichment Program brochure will be available to view online January 21st.
Reminder: registration is done online and opens February 4, 2019.
Wednesday, January 16th
- Pass 39 Meeting, 9:15-10:15 am, Wilmette Junior High School
- District 39 Educational Foundation Board Meeting, 7-9pm, MEC Center
Monday, January 28th
- Board of Education meeting, 7:00pm, MEC
Friday, February 1st
- Early Release Day
Saturday, February 2nd
- D39 Education Foundation Trivia Night
Monday, February 18th
- No School, President's Day
Wednesday, February 20th
- Harper Open House, 6:30pm
Next Week General PTO Meeting!
- General PTO Meeting - Full Bloomed Lotus Mindfulness Presentation
- Wednesday, January 16th at 9:00am - 10:00am in Auditorium
- Make a mindful start to your New Year and join us in the Auditorium for a special presentation by Ramaa Krishnan, founder of Full Bloomed Lotus Center for Self Awareness
- Reap the benefits of mindfulness in your body, your mind and your life.
- Create Practices for every day use
- Shine light on our unconscious habits
- Teach mindfulness by “being the change”
- Live life deeply
- Create True Peace
Yearbook Photos Needed!
- The Yearbook wants your Harper Holiday Party Photos! If you haven't tried the Replay It app for uploading photos to the yearbook, it's so easy. Go to www.replayit.com or e-mail your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. See the ReplayIt_Instructions PDF attached for an easy guide to download, set up and use the app.
Jr. Great Books
- Calling all book lovers! Join Jr. Great Books for a fun 6 week session to read, discuss, and participate in story related activities. Students will read a new story every week, and meet with their peers once a week during their lunch hour to ask questions, think critically, and delve into diverse literature. Sign up and purchase your materials ($18.95) via the sign up genius. Click here to sign up!
Girls On the Run!
- Harper will be hosting Girls on the Run this Spring. If your third or fourth grade daughter is interested, sign-up begins January 1st on the GOTR website -- more details coming in the New Year! Practices will be 75-90 minutes twice a week after school at Harper mid-March up to the 5K in May.
iGNITE! Enrichment Information
Thank you to iGNITE! for the following Enrichment Experiences!
- 1/15 - 4th Grade Field Trip to Feed My Starving Children
- 1/18 - High Touch High Tech visits 1st Grade with their Weather or Not program. On Friday, January 18th, 1st Graders will experience hands-on science with the High Touch High Tech “Weather or Not” program, led by High Touch High Tech. 1st Graders will be taking an up-close look at a real tornado, making thunder, touching lightning and learning about all of the amazing properties of air and air pressure. This Enrichment series is brought to you by iGNITE!
What to do on these cold winter nights? Warm up at Harper Open Gym!
· Monday Nights from 6:30-8:00pm
· Starting Jan 28th – March 18th
· Harper Students only (no non-Harper siblings, sorry!)
· Limit 30 students, there will be a door monitor keeping a list. Just show up.
· Clean shoes must be brought in for the gym. Students may not go to their lockers so please bring shoes from home.
· A parent needs to stay with their child(ren). This is not a drop off.
The Harper Open Gym program is sponsored by the PTO and your iGNITE! contributions. It is run by our awesome D39 PE teacher, Mr. Chris Toy!!
First come/first serve.
See you there!
FAN (Family Action Network)
January 17th, 7pm
FAN welcomes Hana Schank and Elizabeth Wallace Co-authors, The Ambition Decisions, 1993 graduates of Northwestern University, and Pi Beta Phi sorority sisters. Ms. Schank is a Public Interest Technology Fellow at New America. Ms. Wallace is a freelance writer. Interviewer: Heidi Keibler Stevens "Balancing Act" columnist, Chicago Tribune. Presenting on 'The Ambition Decisions: What Women Know About Work, Family, and the Path to Building a Life’ on Thursday, Jan. 17, 2018, 7:00 PM New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093 The event will be recorded. Events are free and open to the public.
January 22nd, Times listed below
FAN presents Leslie Jamison, Ph.D. Author, The Empathy Exams, The Gin Closet, and The Recovering. Director of the MFA nonfiction writing program, Columbia University. Interviewer: Catherine Lacey Author, Nobody is Ever Missing, The Answers, and Certain American States. Discussing 'The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath’ at two events Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2018 First at 12:00 PM at Loyola University Chicago School of Law 26 E. Pearson St., Chicago, IL 60611 go to www.familyactionnetwork.net to register. Second at 7:00 PM at New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093 The evening event will be recorded. Events are free and open to the public
Community Service Corner & News
Northwestern’s Center for Talent Development offers Weekend Enrichment Programs for students age 3 through 8th grade.
Wilmette Historical Museum hosts “Meet the Lincolns” Sunday, February 17th, 2:00 - 3:00 pm.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children ages 3-14 are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
Wilmette Park District hosts Kindergarten Enrichment Open House February 20th, 6:00-8:00 pm
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org