Think Different #22
Resources for the Week of April 3, 2017
Glympse -Share GPS location with friends & family
Glympse is a fast, free and simple way to share your real-time location using GPS tracking, with any of your family, friends or co-workers! Send a Glympse to let friends and family know you are on your way. Request a Glympse from a colleague who is always running late. Set up a Glympse group for your family reunion.
Those you share with can view your Glympse from any web-enabled device, no sign-up required!
Glympse now also includes an iMessage extension and Apple Watch App.
Thanks to my friend Ken for sharing this app with me. Love it, now my family knows where I am on the road and when to expect me to arrive. Sure puts their minds at ease!!
Tackk for Educators
Tablets make the perfect learning companion
As technology becomes more important in our everyday lives, we see the same in our students’ lives. iPads and tablets are technology tools that are transforming the classroom. That's why we built Tackk to work anywhere, on any device. Students can switch between devices (in the classroom AND at home) all while maintaining the same experience and keeping their work.
Let your fingers do the "walking"
You can't step outside the box without letting students get creative...so give them a project and let them run with Tackk.
- Ask students to go to the black content bar.
- Let them explore the various content options (headline, text, photo, video, music, GIFs, buttons, maps, forms)
- Ask them to use the content widgets to tell a story, answer questions, complete a project and more
Ways to Use Tackk on the iPad
- Collaborate in groups: Whether you're 1:1 or not, Tackk collaboration is easy and convenient on an iPad or tablet. Students can work together to solve problems and create, without being bound by a desk or working solo.
- Present Tackk projects to the classroom: After the project is assigned and students create their Tackk, ask them to present it to the classroom while students follow along on their iPads (either 1:1 or in a group).
- Tell stories using photos and GIFs: The camera on the iPad makes it super simple to take and add photos to Tackk. Create photo-based projects where students have to document a process or create a visual story. Students can also use the built in 500px photo search and Giphy GIF search to tell stories without writing a single word.
- Assign homework: create at home: If students have access to an iPad at home, assign Tackk as homework. What they start in the classroom can be picked back up at home with our easy one-click login.
Integrate Other Apps
What are your favorite iPad apps or tools?
Are your students creating content using apps like Storify, SnapGuide, ThingLink, Pixlr and more? Tackk can be a great place to integrate these apps and present them in one place.
Add links and images right in a Tackk!
Check out how one 4th grade teacher combined Snapguide and Tackk in the classroom to show their understanding of narrative and expository writing.Learn tackk basics and suggestions for classroom use
Snapguide is a free iOS app and web service for those that want to create and share step-by-step "how to guides." The service provides easy to understand instructions for a wide array of topics including cooking, gardening, crafts, repairs, do-it-yourself projects, fashion tips, entertaining and more.
Users are invited to create their own guides using the iPhone app. Snap pictures and videos of your project, add captions and share your guide with the Snapguide community.
Make your guides on your Mobile device or computer via your browser.
- Explore examples: https://snapguide.com/guides/
- Website: https://snapguide.com
- App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/snapguide/id421477397?ls=1&mt=8
An Inspiring Story for Teachers
Published on Mar 30, 2017
I was fired from The Apprentice in the first week. The fact that I was there at all, volunteering to be the team leader and giving my all is down to spectacular teachers removing my fear of failure.
My life as a child was a fire of neglect, torture and every kind of abuse. During that time I went to school and despite hating myself almost as much as the system, I had my entire mindset shifted by a handful of teachers enabling me to become the successful and fulfilled woman I am today.
They were serial interrupters, challenging my preference of 'can't', 'don't' and 'won't' statements and living the brand when it came to MISTAKS being part of the learning journey.
They succeeded where others had not because of their commitment to authenticity, even/especially when that meant being vulnerable. They had real clarity around their WHY.
Can we really embed this kind of resilience in our learners if we are not exhibiting it in our daily lives?
Jaz is passionate about the difference teachers make. Through celebration and provocation she uses the transformative power of her own story to inspire the ordinary heroes of education - Teachers. Reading and writing were Jaz's tickets out of physical (and mindset) poverty. She became a primary teacher before setting up her own literacy consultancy then becoming an advisor, international speaker, coach and catalyst for change. Her book, Because Of You, reverse engineers her own success, pinpointing the crucial role teachers played.
After cowriting and presenting the BBC spelling show, Hard Spell Abbey, Jaz also appeared as a candidate on The Apprentice.
This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at http://ted.com/tedx