Murphy Middle School ENews
August 8, 2019
First Day of School- MONDAY!
**Please print a new class schedule sometime this weekend. Our counselors are busy updating schedules and there could be changes. Please know there will be no schedule changes for electives the first two weeks of school.
Parents- 1st Day
Parents are welcome to walk their child into the building on the first day of school and accompany them to the rotunda. There will be plenty of teachers and staff available to assist students. Staff will remain in the hallways assisting students until all students have successfully made it to their first class.
Students- 1st Day
The building opens at 7:45AM.
All buses drop off on the east side of the building. Students that ride the bus enter through the cafeteria doors.
If you are unsure of which bus your student will ride, please use the link below:
6th grade bus riders will walk through the cafeteria, into the rotunda, and then teachers will direct them where to sit in the hallway.
6th grade carpoolers or walkers will enter through the front door, proceed to the rotunda, and then teachers will direct them where to sit in the hallway.
7th and 8th grade students will report to the cafeteria each morning.
We will release our 6th grade students around 8:10 on the first few days so that they have plenty of time to open their lockers and find their first class.
End of the Day- Bus Riders
Students riding the bus at the end of the day should report to their bus immediately after gathering their belongings so they do not miss the bus.
Carpool, Drop-Off, and Pick-Up
· We provide crossing guards between our building and the inner carpool parking lot and between the MMS property and the Kimbrough Stadium parking lot. You may want to consider dropping off at these locations in the morning or making arrangements with your child to meet you at one of these locations in the afternoon.
· Entering into our circular carpool area from 8:00 - 8:30 and from 3:20 – 3:40 can be a time-consuming endeavor; please be ready to spend time waiting if you enter the carpool loop. Please be courteous and patient.
· Please do not stop in the crosswalks. Students need a clear and safe path to cross through traffic.
· All student drop-offs and pick-ups must occur with your vehicle’s passenger side tires against the curb that runs closest to our building. Please do not drop your child off in the left lane; we never want students walking in between cars. Students dropped off in the carpool lane or the Kimbrough parking lot will enter the building at the main entrance.
· In the front circle, traffic should move in a single line. You may pull away from the curb and into the left lane after drop-off or pick-up if the lane is open and it will move the carpool line forward. Students should only exit vehicles on the right side of the vehicle and only when the vehicle is pulled to a curb.
· If your student will be walking to or from school, there will be crossing guards at the light on Murphy Road
· The morning bus lane is located on the East and South side of the building. Please do not drop-off students in the bus lanes.
- Afternoon bus lanes are located on the North, East & South sides of the building. Students should use the cross-walks anytime they are crossing a street. Please do not pick up students in the bus lanes after school.
· Do not make a U-Turn after dropping your child off at the curb of the road running between Murphy and the Kimbrough parking lot. If you choose to drop your child here, pull far forward (parallel to the gym) and then exit by using the road running in front of Kimbrough Stadium. NO U-TURNS.
· There is a double turn lane from the South bound lanes of Murphy Road. Please consider this as you pull in for morning drop off and afternoon pick up. If you want to enter the carpool circle, you need to be in the right or westernmost turn lane off of Murphy Road. The inside or easternmost turn lane will allow you to either go straight or turn left (north) toward McMillen.
Please remember that students may only receive lunches from someone who is listed on their emergency contact card; do not bring lunch for children other than your own.
As this is a statewide policy and a safety issue, please understand that we will not allow students to eat lunches provided by anyone except for someone on their emergency contact
Lunches may not be delivered by 3rd party food delivery companies.
To check your child's balance and add money to his or her account visit:
*This link is also posted in Parent Portal
MMS Cell Phone/Electronic Device Policy
Cell phones, AirPods, headphones, and other electronic devices can be used in a school-
appropriate manner before school until 8:20.
· At 8:20, all cell phones, AirPods, headphones, and other electronic devices must be powered off and kept out of sight
· Students may earn the privilege of technology during lunch by administration. Administrators will communicate how to earn this privilege to students at the beginning of the school year.
· Teachers may allow students to access their cell phones during class for instructional
purposes only and these rare occasions will be communicated prior to class. A cell phone or any other electronic device brought from home will never be a required tool to complete classwork. The phone must be powered off and out of sight before leaving class.
· At 3:30, students can power on their phones and return to using them.
· In case of an urgent need or emergency, parents can contact the front
office at 469-752-7000 and a message will be relayed to the student.
· If your student needs to contact you, they may use a classroom teacher’s school phone or the school phone in the counseling office.
· If a student refuses to comply with a request to surrender their cell phone/electronic device by any faculty member, he/she will be considered insubordinate and additional disciplinary actions will be given.
If a cell phone or electronic device is seen, heard, or used in violation of the policy, it will be
confiscated and turned in to the front office. The following consequences will result:
· First Offense- The cell phone/electronic device is confiscated until the end of the day.
· Second Offense- The cell phone/electronic device is confiscated until a parent comes to
retrieve the device. The student will need to contact their parent(s) when the phone is confiscated.
· Third Offense and beyond- The cell phone/electronic device is confiscated until the parent
comes to retrieve the device and the student will be assigned Friday Night Academy.
SITE BASED IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE PARENT VOLUNTEER FORM
The SBIC is composed of staff, community members, parents, business representatives, and students. It meets three times a year, typically right after school, to review academic goals. If you would like to be included in the random drawing for this year's committee, please complete the form below and then click "Submit."
PE uniforms can be ordered at www.murphymavsshop.com beginning July 1st. All PE students need to wear a grey shirt with their name on the back with blue shorts. For any questions about uniforms please email Coach Slaton at firstname.lastname@example.org
Orders placed before 7/14 will be delivered the first week of school. Online orders placed 7/17 thru 8/9 will be delivered to MMS the second week of school. Online orders placed 8/12-8/23 will be delivered to the school the week of 9/9-9/13.