Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - March 5, 2021
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from North Administrators
Mark Your Calendar
Summer Courses Enrollment
Senior Class of 2021
Dance Team Tryouts
Dance Team Fundraiser at SPIN!
Mustang Medical Messages
Durham Contact Info
Parent Booster Club Spirit Wear Sale
A Letter from North Administrators
We are only a few weeks away from bringing all of our kids back to North! We are extremely excited about bringing our North family back together on March 23rd and have been hard at work planning for that to be a safe and enjoyable “Welcome Back” for our students. Be on the lookout for information in regards to our 4th quarter as we will have updates on parking, Zoom access, and other logistics. Bottom line, we are ready for the Mustangs to return to the Stable!
We also want to thank all of our Winter Sports teams and coaches for adhering to COVID risk mitigation strategies. It was a GREAT Winter Season and we are just as excited about our Spring teams. We are still awaiting guidance on Spring sport attendance and other logistics; we will communicate as soon as we are able to share each sports’ plans. Thank you for remaining patient with us as we work with the district to develop spring sports risk mitigation strategies.
As always, we cannot be the high school that we are without the support and partnership of our parent community. Thank you for all that you do to support our students and faculty.
Have a great weekend!
Mark Your Calendar
March 1-12 - Hybrid Schedule
March 15-19 - No School/Spring Break
March 22 - No School/Professional Learning for Teachers
March 23 - All students who chose in-person classes will come to school full-time, everyday
April 23 - No School/Professional Learning for Teachers
May 23 - Graduation at 4:00 p.m. at the SWIDAC
May 31 - No School/Memorial Day
June 1-3 - High School Finals
June 3 - Last day of School
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Click here for the revised 2020-21 Blue Valley School District Calendar.
Counseling, Academics & Testing (new)
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- Enrollment for 2021-22 is now complete. The deadline to request an elective change for next year is March 12th
- 2nd Semester Schedule Change Requests (drops to a Study Hall only)
- Seniors with colleges requesting a mid-year transcript, see Request Form here - Senior College Application Information
- Junior College Planning
- Sophomore Naviance Tasks
- Freshman Naviance Tasks
- AP Test Information and Deadlines
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room !
- COVID Anxiety Support
- Virtual Counselor Appointments
Questions? Contact Theresa Gonzalez @ (913)239-3016 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Enrollment for virtual summer courses opens March 8 (new)
Enrollment for Blue Valley summer programs opens March 8 and closes at 4 p.m. on March 29. These programs include virtual courses for credit, as well as a section of Design Fundamentals. The district will continue to employ appropriate COVID-19 mitigation practices for any in-person summer programs for safe learning environments. Additional information about the summer explorations programs can be found online at www.bluevalleyk12.org/summerprograms.
Senior Info for Class of 2021
Save the date for our graduation ceremonies at the District Activity Complex, 13310 Switzer, in Overland Park on Sunday, May 23, at 4 p.m. with a rain date of Tuesday, May 25 at 8 p.m. We will provide more detailed information, including any attendance guidelines, as we near graduation.
Click SENIOR INFO for links to:
- A countdown to graduation! Only 78 more days . . .
- Sign up for seniors to audition for celebration speeches
- An info video from Balfour about how to order your cap & gown--only 40 seniors still need to do this!
- Authorize the release of your student's transcript when he or she applies to colleges
- and more . . .
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ email@example.com .
Course Fee Payment is Open
The student elective fees have been posted on the student accounts; check ParentVue for the electives' charges. Payments were due on 2/12/2021 so please make sure this is paid. Your ParentVUE login and password are required to pay course fees. Here is a link to ParentVue: online now.
Questions regarding fee payment should be directed to our BVN Bookkeeper, Linda Kaphingst, email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Report Student Absences via ParentVue
Did you know you can report your student's absence in ParentVue? This is an easy, efficient way! Once you sign into ParentVue, you will see your student's name and a blue button titled "Report Absence." It takes you to a screen where you can select the start date and end date and the reason code. There is also a box titled "Note" for additional information. Don't forget to hit the "Save" button. If you have questions, please call Rita Mouber, BVN Attendance Manager, 913-239-3001.
You can still call Rita Mouber, 913-239-3001, to report an absence. If no one answers, she's talking to another parent so please leave a message. Rest assured, Rita will get your student's absence recorded.
North Star Dance Team (new)
Anyone interested in trying out for the North Stars Dance Team, please complete the tryout application form. There will be a parent and student meeting on Wednesday, March 31st at 7:00 PM via Zoom. Tryout Application Form
For additional information, please visit the North Stars website! Dance Website
Also, the Dance Team is having a fundraiser at Spin Pizza on Wednesday, March 10, 4:00 - 8:00 p.m. The team will gain 20% of purchases made if you mention the fundraiser! Take a break from cooking on Wednesday, and order a delicious salad, pizza, sandwich, pasta dish and/or gelato from SPIN! And what an easy pick up right behind BVN at 6541 W. 119th St. Phone: 913-451-7746; website: SPIN . Thank you for your support!
National Art Honor Society (new)
Are you interested in joining the National Art Honor Society? If so, we will be having a meeting on Tuesday, March 9th, in Room 520 during North Time, 12:30 p.m. If you will be at home and plan to join by Zoom, please email Dr. Alison Crane (email@example.com) for the Zoom link!
Beta Makerspace (new)
Did you know that BVN has a makerspace? Do you like to craft, build, or design stuff? Do you need a creative way to relieve some stress? Then come to the Beta to find out more about making, mental health, and more! We will be meeting in Room 520 (The Beta Makerspace) on Thursday, March 11th at 12:30 pm. If you will be at home and plan to join by Zoom, please email Dr. Alison Crane (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the Zoom link! Hope to see you there!
FCA will be meeting on Wednesdays during North Time for 15 minutes via Zoom. Please email Jason Jones, FCA Sponsor, at JJones05@bluevalleyk12.org if you have questions.
BVN Class T-shirts Pickup at The Stampede
All Class Shirts are available for pick-up in The BVN Stampede School Store during hybrid business hours: Monday – Friday when school is in session for 15 minutes before school starts and 2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. The store is also open during 5th hour on Odd days.
We have T-shirts for every grade: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
BVN GSA (updated)
GSA will meet on Zoom after school on Wednesdays. For information, please email email@example.com .
KAY-Mustang Community Service Club
Join KAY-Mustang Community Service Club! We have an exciting community service project you can do from home. We are creating BVN Storytime, a read aloud library for K-2 students. We also have a couple of other service possibilities. Click this link to join the club. Click this link , then “enroll in Course” to see the Club’s Canvas page where club news and information is posted. Questions? Contact Club president Tanu @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
News from the BVN Library
The library website is now accessible from all Canvas pages. In the navigation list on the left side you should see Library. Or: Click here to visit the BVN Library website . From the library website, students and staff can now chat with the librarians during school hours. Look in the upper right corner. No question is too big or small!
Student Technology Help
On the Canvas Course card titled BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 there is student support information. After looking at the information in the BVN Student Hub, if you are struggling with technology, there is help.
- If your computer is broken please submit a BVCARE ticket and someone from I.T. will reach out to you. A link to BVCARE can be found on the BVN Student Hub or at www.bluevalleyk12.org / I would like to… / BVCARE- Technology help
- If you are having problems with a specific assignment or course in Canvas, always reach out to your teacher first.
- If you have questions about instructional tools (Canvas, Google Drive, Zoom…) or something is not working the way it should, there is a daily Student Help Zoom during North Time. To access this Zoom, open Canvas / Click on the BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 Course Card / Click on Zoom / Join anytime between 10:40-11:10am on Odd days, and between 12:25-1:20pm on Even days. If you are in the building and need help, you can bring your laptop to the library during North Time for tech help.
Drive-thru meal pick-up service for students in distance learning and VirtualED is available on Mondays and Wednesdays at four locations across the district, including Blue Valley North High School. This service has started back up again in 2021. You can find more information on this link Drive-Thru Meal Pick-Up web page .
Mustang Medical Messages
Student COVID testing update (new)
Parents, if the district offers testing to students again, the consent for testing will be available to you a second time in ParentVue to give your YES consent. Currently, ParentVue consent is now closed. Thank you.
Planning any travel for Spring Break? 2-26-21 State Quarantine List.pdf
Consider looking over Kansas Travel Exposure Related Isolation & Quarantine Guidelines:
- Attended/traveled to mass gathering events out-of-state of 500 people or greater where individuals do not socially distance (6 feet) and wear masks.
- Been on a cruise ship or river cruise on or after March 15.
- Others needing to continue quarantining: Received notification from public health officials (state or local) that you are a close contact of a laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19.
- International Travel: Please note that the CDC may have testing or quarantine requirements for individuals traveling back into the United States. Visit their web page for more information.
Authorization for Meds/Procedure to be Administered at School (new)
If your student needs to take prescription medication at school, the parent/guardian needs to complete an authorization form before this can be done. Here is a link to the AUTHORIZATION. Please call Amanda Collichio at 913-239-3013 once you have the form completed. She will set up a time for you to drop off the signed, completed form with the prescription in the original prescription bottle. Thanks!
If your student carries their own prescription medication with them, in their backpack, to school, the parent/guardian needs to complete the district self carry form and keep it in their backpack with their meds. Here is a link to the SELFCARRYFORM . The nurse needs to make note of this procedure in their BVN health records. Thank you for helping us keep your students healthy!
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to e-mail Amanda Collichio, BVN Nurse, at email@example.com. or call at 913-239-3013.
VACCINE INFORMATION (new)
- If you have an opportunity to get your vaccination through PCP sooner, it is recommended to get your vaccination as soon as you are able.
- We are in Phase 2 of the Kansas Vaccination Plan: https://www.jocogov.org/covid-19-vaccine
- Phase 2 only:
- Those 65 and older
- Emergency Responders
- K-12 special education staff
- Health care workers
- Long-term care staff and residents
- Pandemic response workers.
- Kansas Vaccination Phases: Microsoft PowerPoint - Phases and timeline.pptx (kansasvaccine.gov)
- JCDHE information on Vaccine news. https://jocogov.org/article/2021/01/13/15650?fbclid=IwAR0rTZok5TAJqzSVcAE_3yf15KJZ33pgtM3dvkfe0azl0SSXZ-FwvvbvDUs
JCDHE vaccine FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions | KDHE Vaccine KS (kansasvaccine.gov)
Helpful Vaccine Bookmark recommended: https://www.kansasvaccine.gov/
Free COVID Test resource:
The safety of Blue Valley North students and staff continues to be a top priority. In an effort to keep our school community informed when we have a positive case, families can expect the following:
- Families will be contacted directly if through the contact tracing process conducted by the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) and the district's health professionals' team:
1. your child was identified as a low-risk exposure of a student or staff member
who tested positive for COVID-19.
2. your child was identified as a high-risk exposure/close contact of a student
or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19.
- If your child’s proximity to or nature of the interaction with the positive individual did not indicate a low or high-risk exposure, then you will not be contacted.
NOTE: Positive cases by school are reflected on the BV COVID Dashboard. The dashboard is updated every Friday with information from the prior week (Wednesday to Wednesday).
Protect yourself from COVID-19
Wash or sanitize your hands regularly, Avoid touching your face and mask, maintain 6 feet distance from others when possible, wear a CDC recommended mask in public settings. Cover your cough with your elbow, enjoy the great outdoors, keep social contacts limited, if you're sick, stay home and consider getting a test.
New Auxiliary Gym Construction: November through July
Durham Bus Riders
Durham has decided to not use the Hybrid stop times and instead only use the All in School stop times regardless of what learning mode the District is in. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492.
Note that it is best to call outside of route times, between 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PBC Happy New Year Mustang Spirit Wear Sale
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org . Thank you!